Madonna Is Irrelevant!

Sloane

Yeah right. Link from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/highest-paid-celebrities-2013/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

131016120026-08-highest-paid-celebs-hori

"But when it comes to whose bank account lords over all of celebrity-land -- be they male or female -- we have to bow down to Madonna. The Material Girl brought in an estimated $125 million in the past year, making her the No. 1 highest-paid celebrity of 2013.

And because Trashga also made the list, I'll throw this in for good measure:

131016120136-10-highest-paid-celebs-hori

"For the under-30 set, it's 27-year-old Lady Gaga who's at the top of the list. The artist earned an estimated $80 million in the past year -- no wonder she could afford a 24-karat gold wheelchair upon her recovery from hip surgery"

:lmao:

For many people Madonna is irrelevant. She doesn't have number one singles anymore for instance. So for many she appears to be a try-hard when her time in the sun has passed. But to just as many people she still is relevant.

Sloane, love your irony here on this thread. When did that frightful word irrelevant come so mis-quoted and used ? If we believe that Madonna is irrelevant, than so is every great artist from history. The real truth is, apart from the fact that her tour was the highest grossing tour of the year, she is still the most copied and admired woman in music. Even some pathetic facebook entry from a nobody gains news coverage everywhere just be mentioning Madonna's name.

For many people Madonna is irrelevant. She doesn't have number one singles anymore for instance. So for many she appears to be a try-hard when her time in the sun has passed. But to just as many people she still is relevant.

But no.1 hits or any hit song doesn't really matter.

Take a look at music charts, there is a lot of generic crap in top 10. Being relevant in music means being able to make decent or great music. All those people on charts have just popular singels, which will be forgotten.

I think it depends on what you define as being relevant. I think ticket sales and number ones dont really matter. I always think of relevance as being how influential an artist is at that time, and she is still the one to beat against the new crop of pop tarts year after year and still they cant compete so I think that says it all.

I think it depends on what you define as being relevant. I think ticket sales and number ones dont really matter. I always think of relevance as being how influential an artist is at that time, and she is still the one to beat against the new crop of pop tarts year after year and still they cant compete so I think that says it all.

I agree with your post except for this. Tickets sales are actually a good way to see an artist's relevance with the general public. Once an artist can't sell tickets anymore, then his/her career is over.

Nightcutter, she was branded all of those things even when she was still racking up regular #1s/Top 10s.

:lol: yes she was. The fact she is still discussed shows she is relevant. Naysayers should just practice what they preach and not discuss her at all.

Sloane, love your irony here on this thread. When did that frightful word irrelevant come so mis-quoted and used ? If we believe that Madonna is irrelevant, than so is every great artist from history. The real truth is, apart from the fact that her tour was the highest grossing tour of the year, she is still the most copied and admired woman in music. Even some pathetic facebook entry from a nobody gains news coverage everywhere just be mentioning Madonna's name.

I don't know...but I think Simon Cowell was the one to start using the word "irrelevant" a lot when he brought his shitty ass tv talent shows to America. They would always ask him about guest judges and mentors for his shows...and they would list off truly great artists to him, and he would always go, "but they're not relevant anymore". I remember someone mentioning Michael Jackson to him, and he said something about him being so "irrelevant"...and shortly thereafter Michael sold out that This Is It residency. Fucking idiot. Don't even get me started on what he's done to pop music.

Under 30? No. I'm 28, closely approaching 29. I grew up listening to Madonna and my fandom has only become stronger in the past four years. I'm what is now considered a "Cold Y", I don't belong to Gaga's gen.

Madge is still relevant and will always be relevant because she's ingrained in music culture. My hope is that everyone listens to her as they do Michael Jackson, Elvis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Pink Floyd.