AUSDONNA!!!! - Aussie Fan Thread

Guest CUBB

fans in australia, what do you think. M is in talk with Live Nation, 2nd leg in Australian & Asia you think?

Would love it but honestly I don't think she will tour again this year anywhere. I think she would be pretty worn out as the MDNA tour would of been so exhausting. I know she is like Superwoman and Wonderwoman rolled into one, but I think anyone would need some time off to relax and unwind. Nice to hope though !

Just as well she cancelled the Aussie tour.

Considering how sick and exhausted she was for the South American leg, Aus could have been a disaster waiting to happen.

After a 20 year wait, late starts, half shows and dummy spits just wouldn't be tolerated by our media here and they would have torn her to shreds.

When she finally gets here she can't be any less than on top of her game.

I saw Mariah Carey last night - she was brilliant, although she only performed 11 songs and was on stage for around 85 minutes (including lengthy tech issues and a two-song solo performance by Trey Lorenz). In his one-hour support set, her husband spent almost as much time on stage as Mariah did....! She was actually really funny and chatted a lot between songs (and dealt with the tech issues really well, although it was clear that she wasn't happy - fair enough!). I don't know that the 50 or so diehards who paid $700 for front row tickets got their money's worth, but they all seemed to be happy, so that's the main thing! The place was jam packed - tickets sold out almost instantly and before the Melbourne concert was announced, so there was a lot of demand. VIP tickets (Gold Circle, basically) were around $380, which included a lanyard and tour booklet (which was not available for sale), but the promoters only provided 300 VIP kits (in spite of having sold 900 VIP tickets), so there were long queues of people providing their contact details so that the promoters could mail them out to everyone.

All in all, Mariah was brilliant, although she should definitely have performed more songs.

Mariah is just awful. Do Australians love her?

She's struggled a bit in recent years, but she's done consistently well over the past two decades. She didn't come anywhere near selling out arenas last time she toured in 1998, so this time, they cleverly went for very small venues (4-5k) and all three dates sold out really quickly. The media have raved about the concert, but the public reviews have been scathing so far (too short, she shouldn't have had any sound issues, she spoke too much, she didn't dance etc. etc.). The best tickets were definitely too expensive for what you got, but Randy Jackson is probably to blame for that. Janet Jackson's concert (at the same venue) was definitely better value for money, but Mariah's vocals blew Janet's out of the park (obviously), and she was completely live.

As Matt pointed out, Mariah doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to live shows, even in the US. She often has to cancel shows due to poor ticket sales and she rarely fills a venue over there, even a small one. Still, I'm glad I went.

Not to open an old wound, but today would have marked the start of the Australian leg of the MDNA Tour :( She was scheduled to perform in Brisbane tonight and tomorrow night. We all would have died of heat exhaustion today (although given that it was all allocated seating, there wouldn't have been any need to line up all day for a good spot), but although there's the chance of showers tomorrow, Madonna definitely would have avoided the torrential rain that almost saw her cancel her show here in 1993. MDNA missed the Top 100 for 2012 here, but promo for the tour would have seen the album sell probably as much here this month as she did for the entire year last year....

I might not be attending a Madonna concert tonight, but I bit the bullet and joined a gym today, so at least I'm doing something positive.... :-)

Not to open an old wound, but today would have marked the start of the Australian leg of the MDNA Tour :( She was scheduled to perform in Brisbane tonight and tomorrow night. We all would have died of heat exhaustion today (although given that it was all allocated seating, there wouldn't have been any need to line up all day for a good spot), but although there's the chance of showers tomorrow, Madonna definitely would have avoided the torrential rain that almost saw her cancel her show here in 1993. MDNA missed the Top 100 for 2012 here, but promo for the tour would have seen the album sell probably as much here this month as she did for the entire year last year....

I might not be attending a Madonna concert tonight, but I bit the bullet and joined a gym today, so at least I'm doing something positive.... :-)

OMG Carta - I was just re-reading the old Australia threads finding these dates :cries:

Even though I saw MDNA, I'm still bitterly disappointed. I felt so proud thinking how she would come and blow everyone away. I'm so pathetic that I still hold hope for a second leg :sneaky:

What a mess.....what a waste. MDNA is the best thing she's done in forever and so quintessentially Madonna. I don't care about the lack of 'hits'......everyone's mouths would have been on the floor! Mine included!!!!! :dramatic:

I feel the same, San! After Mariah's quick visit, I can see the headlines - "Madonna shows Mariah how it's done!" etc. etc. :)/> I agree 100% that MDNA would have blown everyone away. She would have been criticised for not doing enough 80s material, but the show itself would have left people gobsmacked. I'm willing to bet anything that we would have got "Holiday" at every show and "Music" (given that it was rehearsed for the Psy performance) probably would have been made a proper part of the setlist, too. The late starts would have been a problem, though.

The only reason I bit the bullet and travelled to Europe to see the show was the Early Access deal. Once that was announced, I had to go, because I knew that it would be impossible to get good tickets for the Australian shows (I've missed out completely on tickets of any sort for all six of P!nk's Brisbane shows...!) and I didn't want to be stuck at the back (I was positive that tickets would go on sale while I was teaching - you can't really abandon your class and go crazy trying to buy tickets to a show, no matter how much you want to! :)/>). Yes, I've been ridiculously spoilt (and lucky!) to manage front frow at every concert I've been to in the past six years (and second row at the two before that), but San, I know you understand what I mean! Anyway, had I not decided to go to Europe, I would have missed out entirely. Thank God for wild and reckless decisions!

It will be interesting to see how Madonna tops the MDNA Tour - it really was a work of art....

In other news, my album cover lithographs finally arrived today (I ordered them in November)! One is slightly bent in the corner, which is really annoying, but otherwise, they look great :)) They cancelled my "True Blue" order, though, without telling me, so I'll have to investigate that one.

Fox fm, melbourne's biggest radio station played a madonna megamix 2 nights ago at 12.30am, it even had her talking about working with Justin as it went into 4 minutes. It was a nice finish to my night after a long day at work. But 12.30am hahhaa the only time they will play her :(

Airplay is a weird thing. I mentioned a while ago that Madonna gets very regular airplay on 97.3 in SE QLD (Brisbane's most popular station overall), although Matt considers that to be a "classics" station (I consider it a regular Top 40/pop station, because they are very happy to play Taylor Swift followed by "Sorry" followed by an 80s Wham! song followed by Psy, then Maroon 5, then Guy Sebastian, then Aqua etc. etc.). I've heard "Like A Prayer", "Vogue", "Express Yourself", "Hung Up", "Sorry", "Girl Gone Wild", "Into The Groove", "Ray of Light", "Don't Tell Me", "4 Minutes", "Music", "Material Girl" and "Beautiful Stranger" on the station over the past six months ("Sorry" was just last week). It reminds me of the station that I used to listen to when I was a kid - pure pop/Top 40....certainly more so than the "cool" stations like Fox and Nova. Basically, if it's pop and it was released after 1980, they'll play it.

Guest bluejean

Mariah was huge in the Music Box and Daydream eras here but since then, not really. And I think alot of it has to do with her lack of touring here. Funny she only bothers when the rest of the world don't care anymore.

Artists that consistently tour here like Beyonce and Rihanna remain popular.

Is Beyonce really that popular here, though? She's definitely popular, but I wouldn't put her in the same category as Rihanna, though (Rihanna has several solo #1 singles to her name, whereas Beyonce has had one #1 single and one #1 album). Interestingly enough, Rihanna's latest single went to #1 around the world but missed the Top 5 here).

Touring frequently is certainly good promo, but good music shouldn't be ignored, regardless of whether the artist tours the country or not. Radio music directors are far too powerful for their own good!

Radio music directors are too powerful for their own good. They saturate the airways with the artists they want to promote. Every single time I turn the radio on the so called "modern" radio stations, I just keep hearing the same new songs from Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Pink, One direction and Bruno Mars. Even young teenagers I know comment how boring the radio stations are and how they are sick of the same songs being played all the time. Last year, I am positive that I heard that Call me maybe song at least 4 times a day on the radio when I turned it on and shock horror it becomes the biggest selling single in Australia for 2012. I can't believe that such a shocking pop song can become the biggest selling single of the year. I thought we had better taste!

Airplay is a weird thing. I mentioned a while ago that Madonna gets very regular airplay on 97.3 in SE QLD (Brisbane's most popular station overall).

All the major shopping malls in my area play Madonna. I wonder if that's the station they use? In the last few months, I've heard: 4 Minutes (the most played), Jump, Take a Bow, Borderline, Give it 2 Me, Revolver (would you believe it?), Burning Up, Express Yourself (LAP version).

I haven't watched the news in weeks, but have heard snippets about fires all over the place on the radio. I wouldn't know anything was going on otherwise. All seems fine here in Sydney. I work next to a national park and you can usually smell it if there is a fire nearby.

Hope all my Aussie bros and hos are doing ok :)

Thanks for asking Chelle. Hoping everything will be OK as we are about to have another major heatwave in several states. Poor Tasmania has been hit very hard with huge losses of homes by bushfires, So far, we have avoided the Black Saturday bushfires of 2009 which saw 173 people die in Victorian bushfires. One of the saddest days in our history. There are 110 fires still burning in NSW and VIctoria at the moment that are being contained but with the hot weather, could easily get out of control. Hoping everything will be OK. for everyone across every state.

Nope. My partners' sister moved there after she got married. I was born in Wodonga, Victoria, but lived in and around Sydney my whole life. I'm out west near Parramatta (in Pemulwuy).

Have just started looking at what is on offer in the city...Surry Hills/Darlinghurst/Balmain. I'm not rich enough it seems....sooooooo expensive!

Sydney's very expensive. Im in coogee, I love being near the water

Wow....! My best friend lived in Coogee for a couple of years. It's a stunning spot! His rent was insane, though...!! We might even have passed each other at some stage and not even known it :)

I'll be sure to tour Australia when I'm rich and famous.

Ha Ha. We would maybe try to claim you. My cousin went to the Australian open the other night to see her idol Roger Federer and said the game after was fantastic as it went for ages. There was a young English up and coming tennis star playing called Laura Robson who actually was born in Melbourne. The great Australian crowd were barracking for her, yelling out "go Robbo" and cheering for her.

We also always liked to try and claim Kim Clijsters. We all know she is from Belgium but here she is known as Aussie Kim because she once was engaged to Lleyton Hewitt. Even years after they split up, she is still known as Aussie Kim. She used to mention it in her speeches and was flattered that we all loved her so much.