WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

• 3 weeks later...

This really is the most bizarre thing. It's as though she no longer exists as a POP star in the UK. Even with GITM and Celebration you would hear these tracks on nights out, people would know the song on the dancefloor & sing along (not just gay clubs), you'd see the videos on rotation on those shit channels like viva, 4music etc. You got SOME radio play somewhere. People were actually aware of the songs and that Madonna still existed. Play Girl Gone Wild on a dancefloor now and and as danceable as it is, it'll get zero response as the DJ quickly changes the record.

All unheard of for Madonna in the UK.

I guess I knew it would come at some point but it's so sudden and still a shock.

Well, she just showed her tit yesterday on stage so for me the momentum will be definitely going! C'mon guys...An amazing performance at theSuperbowl, a smash album (playing in radio or not currently dominated by shit like David Guetta) and an amazing tour dissing Lady Gaga with tit flashing. For me she is doing just fine!

1620688.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the record keeps spinnin' in my house. fuck this 'where did the momentum go...' shit. seriously - is she packing stadiums or not?

Yeah, I've been bummed out about it, but honestly, who the fuck cares. MDNA is fantastic :headbang:

A major mistake was making GMAYL the first single - by far the lamest song on the entire CD.

But radio, or in particular Top 40 radio, isn't interested in Madonna anymore, at least in my part of the world - Madonna's been relegated to the classic hits/Best of the 80s & 90s stations, which won't play her new stuff.

A major mistake was making GMAYL the first single - by far the lamest song on the entire CD.

But radio, or in particular Top 40 radio, isn't interested in Madonna anymore, at least in my part of the world - Madonna's been relegated to the classic hits/Best of the 80s & 90s stations, which won't play her new stuff.

I think the mistake was not releasing GMAYL before the Superbowl performance, so the general public would've been familiar with it. Also, MDNA should've been released the same week as Superbowl. GGW should've had an epic television performance, so people would hear/see it. She should've allowed a performance or two to air on television for July 4th celebration (Express Yourself/Give Me All Your Luvin' would've been perfect). I don't think the general public even know that Madonna has a new album out. I haven't heard/seen anything outside fan sites/message boards about Madonna (except for Superbowl performance and divorce).

Yes, many people are right when they say that tv performances don't help songs. I understand what they mean. But it's true that people seem to forget how great Madonna is performing. We know because we go to the concerts watch new clips and dvds and old performances and all that, but regular fans forget because they don't go to the concert or buy the DVD. Superbowl performance was awesome, people talked about it a lot, even at my work were shocked at how great it was. She should had done a bombastic performance of GMAYL on TV and present GGW, and later another. It would have helped a lot, just my opnion.

it pains me to say this because i am a true lover of 'turn up the radio' but if "GANG BANG" were released right now with a hot ass video (i could care less if QT directed it, though i appreciate all efforts...) it could save MDNA i believe. It would have to be an edit of course (Drive baby...?) ...now, back to loving 'tutr' and i will never speak of this again.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that she stopped behaving like Madonna years ago when she started to become too cautious and interested in the opinions of her detractors and critics. She was at the cutting edge of her game around the album release of 'Music' and since then something has faded. I wish her and her team would stop playing it so safe by releasing the singles they believe to be the most radio-friendly. She should just say 'fuck it' and release a controversial song like Gang Bang with a kick-ass video - people prefer the brazen Madonna, not the Madonna who has compromised herself more and more over time.

Also, she has lost touch a bit...whether that's just age or not is debatable...I mean, as much as I love GMAYL it was an awful choice for a lead single. MDNA is a fantastic album but it's not daring or provocative enough...it's like she has dipped her toe in the waters of controversy but she doesn't want to go the whole mile...it just isn't cohesive enough to work as a concept album.

I agree yet disagree with your point of view. I feel that everything changed after American Life, which was 10x more edgy and daring that Music. The critical and commercial failure of that brilliant album sent her running back to her leotards and DJ producers to create a "safe" yet artistically superb Confessions on a Dance Floor. The Madonna of 2008-2012 seems more interested in securing her brand rather than continuing to progress and evolve as an artist (I blame Guy O). I love MDNA, far more than I liked Hard Candy, but I do hope that the commercial disappointment of MDNA will allow her to see that US radio is not going to play her singles, regardless of what flavor of the moment rap/pop girls she employs in the background, and that she should just focus on doing the work she enjoys, for when inspired, she's always on top form (Gang Bang).

We lost our "fuck you" Madonna when she pulled the original American Life video, but she's still back to extent with the fact that she's flashing her ass and tits during a haunting rendition of Like a Virgin. She is still daring to the fact that she could so very easily rest on her royal laurels and tour the planet as a greatest hits nostalgia act. She would probably bank even more than she does already....but instead, she bedrock's her shows with new material and reinvents the classics she chooses to pepper in along the way. She knows the extreme ageism she receives for stripping on stage and flashing the audience....it infuriates people, especially other woman of her age group. Once more she is pushing the limits, forcing people to face what they accept as the norm for female age and sexuality. That is the Madonna we know and love....she truly has NO FEAR and is risking her legend to piss off the establishment...but lest we forget that her glorious past is built on an endless stream of controversies, boundary breaking, daring, social restriction breaking acts. She was crucified for the Sex book 20 years ago, but that project is now looked back on as revolutionary, ballsy, artistically, daring. To this day no other mainstream artist has ever taken such an extreme risk. Like the Sex book, time will show that history will look back on her 50+ years of pushing misogynistic, ageist limits of female sexuality beyond what has ever been seen or accepted before.

To simply play it safe and rest in the security of her brand and good name, she is defying the expectations of the public and continuing to do things as she sees fit. As a fan, I just hope that she realizes she is no longer relevant to the youth market and it is time to do what she pleases musically. Since albums no longer sell as they once did, for everyone, why not create a rock opera of sorts and then play it out on stage for the tour.....that's where the money is anyway. Imagine an album full of Gang Bang-type tracks, not just in rage and style, but in the non-conformity of its structure....that would be brilliant and would certainly get people talking far more than another embarrassing attempt at competing with Gaga and Katy Perry. That way, if people know the theatrics will be based on the music of her leftfield music project, they will know what to expect for a set list. They will witness Madonna's latest visual masterpiece of a show, not a traditional rock/pop concert, which she has never truly provided anyhow. S&S was probably her most pop-friendly concert...whereas MDNA returns to the extreme theatrics, and thank god for it. So, ballsy, fuck you Madonna is still there, she just needs to take the full reigns again and stop worrying about making $....get Guy O out of her ear and let her do her thing to it's full potential.

I agree yet disagree with your point of view. I feel that everything changed after American Life, which was 10x more edgy and daring that Music. The critical and commercial failure of that brilliant album sent her running back to her leotards and DJ producers to create a "safe" yet artistically superb Confessions on a Dance Floor. The Madonna of 2008-2012 seems more interested in securing her brand rather than continuing to progress and evolve as an artist (I blame Guy O). I love MDNA, far more than I liked Hard Candy, but I do hope that the commercial disappointment of MDNA will allow her to see that US radio is not going to play her singles, regardless of what flavor of the moment rap/pop girls she employs in the background, and that she should just focus on doing the work she enjoys, for when inspired, she's always on top form (Gang Bang).

We lost our "fuck you" Madonna when she pulled the original American Life video, but she's still back to extent with the fact that she's flashing her ass and tits during a haunting rendition of Like a Virgin. She is still daring to the fact that she could so very easily rest on her royal laurels and tour the planet as a greatest hits nostalgia act. She would probably bank even more than she does already....but instead, she bedrock's her shows with new material and reinvents the classics she chooses to pepper in along the way. She knows the extreme ageism she receives for stripping on stage and flashing the audience....it infuriates people, especially other woman of her age group. Once more she is pushing the limits, forcing people to face what they accept as the norm for female age and sexuality. That is the Madonna we know and love....she truly has NO FEAR and is risking her legend to piss off the establishment...but lest we forget that her glorious past is built on an endless stream of controversies, boundary breaking, daring, social restriction breaking acts. She was crucified for the Sex book 20 years ago, but that project is now looked back on as revolutionary, ballsy, artistically, daring. To this day no other mainstream artist has ever taken such an extreme risk. Like the Sex book, time will show that history will look back on her 50+ years of pushing misogynistic, ageist limits of female sexuality beyond what has ever been seen or accepted before.

To simply play it safe and rest in the security of her brand and good name, she is defying the expectations of the public and continuing to do things as she sees fit. As a fan, I just hope that she realizes she is no longer relevant to the youth market and it is time to do what she pleases musically. Since albums no longer sell as they once did, for everyone, why not create a rock opera of sorts and then play it out on stage for the tour.....that's where the money is anyway. Imagine an album full of Gang Bang-type tracks, not just in rage and style, but in the non-conformity of its structure....that would be brilliant and would certainly get people talking far more than another embarrassing attempt at competing with Gaga and Katy Perry. That way, if people know the theatrics will be based on the music of her leftfield music project, they will know what to expect for a set list. They will witness Madonna's latest visual masterpiece of a show, not a traditional rock/pop concert, which she has never truly provided anyhow. S&S was probably her most pop-friendly concert...whereas MDNA returns to the extreme theatrics, and thank god for it. So, ballsy, fuck you Madonna is still there, she just needs to take the full reigns again and stop worrying about making $....get Guy O out of her ear and let her do her thing to it's full potential.

i really enjoyed reading this. thanx for posting. radio is fickle i think, and it's very possible a single COULD get picked up and played. i DON'T think it's embarrassing for her to compete, in fact i think that the fact that she is competing goes right along with what we love about her. having no fear and pushing these boundaries.

however, i am all about the creative process and that rock opera idea would take me down. it'd be so amazing, i couldn't even handle it. so, is it no fear - compete. or is it, no fear - go off and do your own thing? ...it's a little bit of both i hope.

again, great post!

I hope MDNA is re-released in the fall with a dvd of her new videos and remixes. It deserves it! I think we will get a few more singles off of it. She's on tour so she might as well keep it going for her fans. Will it be by the Grammy's and VMA's?

She's old, no one cares as much. That's it. It happens to them ALL if you can stick around long enough. She's a touring legend act from now on like all the other greats that are still around, The Stones, Bowie, Prince ect ect.

This is IT from now on. Accept it and get over it and you'll all be able to enjoy her eras much more.

agreed. nicely said CUBB. :voiceofreason:

Guest pedrohdi

No other pop star ever lasted 30 years, and even after 30 years she still manages to have a #1 album all around the world. Usually only rock bands turn into massive touring acts (Rolling Stones, U2, etc), but even those rock bands don't have the exposure that Madonna still has. She will hardly ever get another #1 single at least in the USA, so we must start to enjoy the music that she gives us. At least she´s not recycling her music and making duets with country stars, or playing in Las Vegas as a washed up star! She´s still kicking ass pushing bounderies, a causing people to discuss a lot of issues. That´s the Madonna I know and came to love since forever!