WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

I'm sorry, but i think that this album didn't do as well as expected. Fans, Madonna herself and Live Nation expected a BIG HIT. It's pretty clear.

It could have been a much bigger hit than it was simply if they hadn't released GMAYL or and GGW as first singles. There are loads better songs on there. And seeing as Masterpiece was leaked around December time (I think) it really should have been made available as a single and given a proper release.

And singles can only chart if they are properly available. Seriously WTF? GMAYL made available to buy two weeks after the MDNA album is released. How on earth is that going to appeal to fans or casual buyers.

I think the problem really has been the hopeless release schedule by Interscope as well appaling lead single choices. Instead of proving she can sell the same sort of records as Rhiana or GaGa she should have released the total opposite such as Falling Free or Love Spent.

I wonder if they consider the success of her album by each territory or it's success collectively worldwide? Because if you look at MDNA from a worldwide perspective, over half way through the year now and it's still among the top 10 best selling in the world for the year. That's not bad at all actually. In fact, that's the same that HC and COADF did in their years of release, but in healthier sales climates so obviously they sold more copies of those albums. The only artist who is defying the overall sales trend right now is Adele, can't really expect Madonna to compete with that.

Well, it will be interesting when the contract has to be renewed. Will Madonna want to do so many different things or focus in a couple of them? We all seem to think that she likes being creative and all that, but i wander if she really enjoyed releasing a perfume. I'm sure that she would have rolled her eyes at the very idea just 10 years ago.

I wonder if she feels comfortable having to whore herself so much out there, because at the very end that means less control. Or maybe she has more control musically if she whores herself selling perfumes?

Well, it will be interesting if there will be another 380º deal.

Apparently, she had been considering the perfume thing for something like 15 years....probably around Evita/ROL. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but what pop star DOES NOT whore themselves out these days? If she weren't she would be "out of touch" unfortunately. That's how pop stars make their money these days. It sucks that everything is so "corporate" now but it's the nature of her business.

Who knows? Maybe she's NOT renewing after this 10 year LN deal is up. Maybe that's why she's not too pressed about "traditionally" promoting her albums. Fans say "well...she has to continue to have hits to sell out her tours."......well, what if she's only planning on doing 2 or 3 more tours then really it's a non-issue. Going by the sales of MDNA tour, she could easily pull off a major tour in a few years even without a MASSIVE hit song. Then the tour after that would be a "farewell tour" and she could sell out stadiums worldwide with that tomorrow or in 30 years without releasing another song at all.

I highly doubt she'll ever go the "traditional record deal" route again like she had with WB but I am very curious to see what she does after this LN deal. I've always though Madonna wouldn't be the type to announce she's retiring, if she did it would just happen naturally. However, officially announcing a "retirement" of sorts would bring her in BILLIONS of dollars so I'm not so sure anymore that she'd miss out on that golden opportunity.

she only has two more tours right??? a farewell tour would rake in a billion dollas....at the end of the day everyone who hated this era wont matter cuz Madonna, Guy, Interscope, & Live Nation will be laughing all the way to the bank.

she really has turned into that part in EVITA - the money kept rolling in (esp. since raising malawai fiasco)

What does she do with all that money? Does she burn her chimney with 100dollar notes???? She has enough money and once you are secure with your money, the logical path is to pursue happiness. Unless making more and more is what makes her happy (*insert song 'More' here*) i really hope that releasing perfumes and shoes is giving her a thrill.

Once... you have it all

(have it aaaaaall)

You may find all else above

(find all else aboooooooove)

That though things are bliss,

There's one thing you miss, and that's

More? I don't think so.

What does she do with all that money? Does she burn her chimney with 100dollar notes???? She has enough money and once you are secure with your money, the logical path is to pursue happiness. Unless making more and more is what makes her happy (*insert song 'More' here*) i really hope that releasing perfumes and shoes is giving her a thrill.

Once... you have it all

(have it aaaaaall)

You may find all else above

(find all else aboooooooove)

That though things are bliss,

There's one thing you miss, and that's

More? I don't think so.

Do not forget that she lost a lot of money for Guy Ritchie and Malawi and maybe she wants to recover it quicker for her family. But yes, she has money for the next 500 generations. Greedy bitch.

I'm sure she helps a lot without people or press knowing. Sometimes i wish i were incredibly rich and i would give loads and loads of money to different things, like taking care of rivers in my country, or landscapes. And helping school musics, and children schools in other countries.

She's very lucky because she can earn a lot each year.

At the end of the day, it's just a shame it didn't do better. That's all. The album has quite a few excellent songs on it, and it deserved more success. I don't think America likes Madonna very much anymore... they're pretty much over her, and I can't imagine that ever changing. It's sad, because she IS a legend, but I don't think many people in the USA think of her that way anymore. To them, she had some cool songs in the 80's and has been milking that success ever since. Of couse, we know different, but we are the minority.

At the end of the day, it's just a shame it didn't do better. That's all. The album has quite a few excellent songs on it, and it deserved more success. I don't think America likes Madonna very much anymore... they're pretty much over her, and I can't imagine that ever changing. It's sad, because she IS a legend, but I don't think many people in the USA think of her that way anymore. To them, she had some cool songs in the 80's and has been milking that success ever since. Of couse, we know different, but we are the minority.

you mean the rest of the world is minority...

I think MDNA era was a total waste of opportunity. Lots of my friends, Madonna lovers, hated it. I don't agree that it wasn't succesful because of ageism at all. During "Confessions" period she was also being considered too old, actually she looked older than now at that time. But because her singles were better, she was doing very good. Before this album came out, everybody was expecting something spectacular from Madonna. Because it had been a longer than usual break from her last album, and she had to answer Lady Gaga threat too. I don't know the reason, but she has not been concentrated on her music during this era. Maybe she was not inspired, maybe she was lack of good materials, I don't know. What I know is that GMAYL was not a first single after 4 years for Madonna. She didn't make half of the effort she made for her movie for the album promotion.I agree that the album has good materials on it (Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, I'm A Sinner etc.), but it was produced and marketed horribly. Some lyrics were very bad and too similar to old Madonna songs. Similar lyrics to old Madonna songs used to be fun and artistic way of reference to her musical journey. But this time it looked like a lazy way of making music. Some good songs were overshadowed by poor production (like Falling Free, Masterpiece and Girl Gone Wild). Looking back months after the release, I see that only logical first single choice was Gang Bang. Actually it is one of a very few songs on the album that give you the impression that Madonna really worked on this song. Most of the songs sounds like they were written and produced in one day. Releasing Gang Bang would've been a big f* you to all the mainstream radios which don't play her songs anyways. With a good video it may have been a youtube hit. Then Girl Gone Wild with a different production may have been a small hit around Europe (like Give It 2 Me) as a second single. I hope Madonna will be inspired to make good music and good videos again in the future. Because they were the reasons when I became her fan.

MDNA DOES have good music on it.

Poor production on "Falling Free"? That track is majestic- IU havbe no complaints about it. However, while I like "Masterpiece,' I think more could have been done with the production.

GMAYL may not have been the strongest choice for a first single, but I know why she wanted it as the first release (aside from the Super Bowl, cheerleading tie-in).

Yes, i can understand why GMAYL and GGW were chosen. They are the two tracks that have "instant hit" written on it. Sadly, they don't work for Madonna, maybe another singer could have had them. Madonna is able to write and sing far better than that.

I think this album did as well as could be expected. So, it hasn't done fabulous in the US? What else do you expect? It seems recently it's not the best time for people to "come back" or for already established artists to do well. Even Britney and Christina have had trouble and they haven't been around that long at all. JLo too. It's all about who's new and fresh - which it always has been, but it seems as if now people ONLY wanna make time for the new and fresh. Not to mention the Gaga effect, her fans create websites when a new female artist has an album out centered around spreading leaks, hiding physical copies in stores and starting rumors/trends that the album is awful. These people spend more time bringing down other artists than promoting their fave! ...Not that this makes a HUGE impact, but Gaga's recycled image alone tried to fill a Madonna void within itself.

GMAYL was a top 10 hit and she's gotten a lot musical praise for the album, because the material is good. It went #1 in more countries than any other album and the tour is doing amazing. I would like to see her go off and to something totally different - she's been toying with this modern dance sound since Confessions, and although MDNA has different elements like dub-step in it, I kind of want to see her do something new next time. Like she did with American Life (not EXACTLY like that lol), but just something else. I think she could still get a few more hits and even if she doesn't she is already solidified...she can do whatever the hell she wants now.

I agree.I think the days of Madonna having *hugely successful* albums are over,at least in the US.No matter what she releases,US radio is not gonna support it because of her age.GGW and TUTR are catchy,radio-friendly songs that would be major hits if recorded by a young,"hot" artist.There's not too much that Madonna can do to change that.Pop music is a young person's game.

Having said all that,I still would like to see Madonna go back to doing "traditional promotion".While this won't necessarily guaratee a hit album,It may have kept MDNA in the Top 10 a little longer.I hate seeing a brilliant album fade away so quickly.

MDNA DOES have good music on it.

Poor production on "Falling Free"? That track is majestic- IU havbe no complaints about it. However, while I like "Masterpiece,' I think more could have been done with the production.

GMAYL may not have been the strongest choice for a first single, but I know why she wanted it as the first release (aside from the Super Bowl, cheerleading tie-in).

I agree,MDNA is a brilliant album.There's nothing wrong with the material at all.The problem is,there are certain factors beyond Madonna's control that may prevent her from having huge-selling albums anymore.

Yes, i can understand why GMAYL and GGW were chosen. They are the two tracks that have "instant hit" written on it. Sadly, they don't work for Madonna, maybe another singer could have had them. Madonna is able to write and sing far better than that.

I don't think they would work at all for anyone. GGW is a grower (especially considering the video effect) but GMAYL is just not. There is no way those songs could be hits, they are not good enough.

MDNA is a great album with solid songs but it is simply not hit material. I love the album for my personal amusement but i can totally see why it didn't catch with the mainstream. It doesn't have THE song that could be universally loved like Music or Hung Up.

MDNA is a great album with solid songs but it is simply not hit material. I love the album for my personal amusement but i can totally see why it didn't catch with the mainstream. It doesn't have THE song that could be universally loved like Music or Hung Up.

And that's okay!

I don't think they would work at all for anyone. GGW is a grower (especially considering the video effect) but GMAYL is just not. There is no way those songs could be hits, they are not good enough.

I disagree."Girl Gone Wild" would be a Top 10 smash if Rihanna or Britney had recorded it."GMAYL" would be one of the year's biggest hits if Katy Perry had recorded it.There are many factors that can make a song do poorly on the charts,but we can't keep blaming the music everytime.We have to look at other reasons,too.

I disagree."Girl Gone Wild" would be a Top 10 smash if Rihanna or Britney had recorded it."GMAYL" would be one of the year's biggest hits if Katy Perry had recorded it.There are many factors that can make a song do poorly on the charts,but we can't keep blaming the music everytime.We have to look at other reasons,too.

I can agree that GGW and GMAYL are certainly not her best singles by any means, but they are radio friendly and dare I say GMAYL does stand out against what's being played on radio right now. With that said, neither one are as instantaneous as HU or Music BUT by any other artist they would get airplay, I have no doubt about that. GGW especially. I can't imagine radio NOT playing GGW if Rihanna were doing those "hey hey yay yay eh eh ay's" in her little island accent. :lol:

MOST of the songs she's released since ROL really, haven't lived up to their full chart potential and she's had a lot of quality singles. TPOG missing Top 10?? NRM barely scraping the Hot 100?? Hollywood, GT, Jump completely missing the Hot 100?? GI2M not being able to hit the Hot 100 when it was actually released as a single?? I'm sorry.....but if we are going to use the quality argument for GGW and GMAYL we'd have to do the same for all those other great singles. I do not think ALL those songs are "lesser" just because they didn't chart. Obviously, other factors are at work here. It's silly to deny otherwise.

I can't imagine GGW on Rihannas voice. :manson:

Oddly, I can especially the "hey hey hey...." part. :lol: It's very "umbrella ella ella ay ay...." to me.

I can't really hear anyone else singing GMAYL though.

this subject totaly changed conotation since it was open..it is kind of bumerang to person who asked this question.

this is one of the best era!

I don't undertand...?

I orginally posed the question and there have been many side-bar conversations swirling around it as well as direct replies, obviously people have a lot to say and offer-up their opinions and I have read each and every one. All in all I find everything everyone has said to have valid points. As we get further and further away from the time the album was released, so much has happened since and really what it all comes down to is the MUSIC and to just enjoy it, regardless of what the general public thinks. I know I'm NOT crazy!!! :biggrin:

I couldn't be happier with this era. We got Superbowl, simply the best and most entertaining thing she has ever done. It was staged immaculately, she was dressed incredibly and it proved all the critics wrong also. We also got a top 10 single out of it. In January we got some great television interviews like Graham Norton, Anderson Cooper, Cynthia McFaddon and Jay Leno. MDNA was a fantastic album and a true return to form that came with great album and single artwork as well. The GGW video was absolutely stunning and we got to see her dance again in a video with a troupe of dancers behind her and last but not least, the best tour she has ever done! Tightly choreographed, sexy, daring, controversial and sold out all over the world!

Who cares about the general public,that shouldn't affect how you feel about this era.