Madonna Songs on "American Idol"

ROCKERITO_MX

Horrid drunken karaoke. NEXT!

M should never again allow her songs to be used on shows like this.

Last year they also had a Madonna medley with the top 3 girls.

I remember during her Confessions promo tour in France they used her songs on a French Idol show, terrible!

The first time Madonna songs were performed on the show (aside from "You Must Love Me")- guess the Powers That Be finally gave clearance.

That's what I am saying...I don't really follow the show, but from what I know, despite the mass appeal of her music, her work has never been approved for use on the show.

Horrid drunken karaoke. NEXT!

M should never again allow her songs to be used on shows like this.

Last year they also had a Madonna medley with the top 3 girls.

I remember during her Confessions promo tour in France they used her songs on a French Idol show, terrible!

Like GLEE, it's corny and cheesy, but it's MASS exposure of her music to a younger generation that is otherwise ignorant of her work. Ask any American 12-17 year old about Madonna and they just know her name as a celebrity or Lady Gaga rival.....they cannot name a single song....

^ I don't believe they can't name one song. Yeah they probaly don't know most of her catalog but I said this before, teenagers don't always say who they listen to. When I was a teen I talked with my friends about who was on MTV. I didn't discuss with them the music I was also buying from acts from the sixties. I didn't tell them I liked certain singers from 20 years before and they probaly were doing the same thing.

You know what, I let go a lot. I really do. Petty comments don't bother me and I have never disliked Mariah until this morning. What a lot of people don't understand is that it's not completely about Madonna. It's about them disappointing me as a person.

Like GLEE, it's corny and cheesy, but it's MASS exposure of her music to a younger generation that is otherwise ignorant of her work. Ask any American 12-17 year old about Madonna and they just know her name as a celebrity or Lady Gaga rival.....they cannot name a single song....

And thanks to this, they still wont be able to :lol:

^ I don't believe they can't name one song. Yeah they probaly don't know most of her catalog but I said this before, teenagers don't always say who they listen to. When I was a teen I talked with my friends about who was on MTV. I didn't discuss with them the music I was also buying from acts from the sixties. I didn't tell them I liked certain singers from 20 years before and they probaly were doing the same thing.

My ex was a teacher and it amazed him at how the kids didn't know Madonna's music....not even the MASS standards such as LAV, MG, ITG, LAP, Vogue....these are kids that are not force-fed music from the radio or videos on MTV. In their world, they can pick and choose. Obviously this is not the set-in-stone rule for every kid, there are always exceptions, but the vast majority he encountered just knew Madonna as a name, and not an artist.

^ Like I said, they don't discuss when they like artists who came on music scene before they were born.

And I'm not saying the majority of them know her music I'm saying that more than you think know it.

Edited by Larkspur

Guest gang bang

The first time Madonna songs were performed on the show (aside from "You Must Love Me")- guess the Powers That Be finally gave clearance.

Kelly Clarkson sang Express yourself on her Idol audition

^ Like I said, they don't discuss when they like artists who came on music scene before they were born.

And I'm not saying the majority of them know her music I'm saying that more than you think know it.

I think the ones with parents or older siblings are certainly more familiar. However annoying, the Lady Gaga comparisons only serve to make Madonna more relevant to a younger generation. Believe it or not, many younger fans were introduced to her by hearing her name attached to Gaga's.

Guest gang bang

Madonna should go to American idol and say on pigriah s pork face ,some singers never should be on stage like an hour ,only singing and almost can t walk on it ,pooriah ..some kind of singers should sing 2 songs ....and left the stage ...because the stage belongs to performers more than boring singers....

Not only couldn't teens name one of Mariah's songs, they probaly couldn't name her most current.

You know I could be wrong but I think Mariah only has one UK number 1 in her career even after the many songs with gifted male singers.

You know the original singers of those songs.

Edited by Larkspur

I think the ones with parents or older siblings are certainly more familiar. However annoying, the Lady Gaga comparisons only serve to make Madonna more relevant to a younger generation. Believe it or not, many younger fans were introduced to her by hearing her name attached to Gaga's.

I think you are under-playing Madonna a bit. Kids that love music always know more than we give them credit for. Madonna is also the biggest selling female artist of all time and she is a world wide superstar. That fact alone should ensure the new generation knows her music. The Beatles, Elvis and the Rolling Stones were all before my time but I certainly knew who they were and their biggest hits. Young people might not know all of her music naturally but I am sure they would have heard of her way before the whole stupid Gaga comparisions.

I think you are under-playing Madonna a bit. Kids that love music always know more than we give them credit for. Madonna is also the biggest selling female artist of all time and she is a world wide superstar. That fact alone should ensure the new generation knows her music. The Beatles, Elvis and the Rolling Stones were all before my time but I certainly knew who they were and their biggest hits. Young people might not know all of her music naturally but I am sure they would have heard of her way before the whole stupid Gaga comparisions.

This was what I thought until my ex would report to me the ignorance of his students. I argued him and refused to believe that ANYONE, at ANY age, could be ignorant to Madonna's basic catalog. Perhaps it was just the groups he worked with. I worked with kids myself from 2000-2005. M was still very prominent on the radio then (esp when Music was #1) so all the kids were familiar w her then. It just disheartens me to know that our celebrity-driven world dominates art and music. You mention knowing who The Beatles, Elvis, etc were as a kid, well the difference is, times have changed, and modern-day kids are very focused on the in and now, and then the NEXT. It isn't underestimating Madonna in anyway, it's just a sad reality of the current culture.

PS: He did say that a few of them knew of her as "that lady in the Justin Timberlake song" :/

Did she happen to mention the original "backup" singer of that song Niki? Yeah to everyone who knows who Niki is knows who she is talking about. To the thousands that watch that show "It's original singer Niki? What?

Really Mariah? Like A Prayer? Probaly her most beloved song by the public. I'm not only angry right now, I'm sick.

No. She was talking about the vocal riffing done by Nikki. I thought that was quite clear. I really don't like Mariah or her career but she was speaking the truth. The song isn't written with a big voice in mind.

You talk so much shit and your signature is very Lady Gaga.

You talk so much shit and your signature is very Lady Gaga.

And you come across as the most catty, bitchy, bitter, angry, sad and miserable know-it-all stereotypical gay men on this forum. Every single post of yours reeks of negativity and confrontation. I hate that I am even stepping into your bait now as I know this is what gets you off, but you really are quite a miserable person...at least that is the character you promote on here.

Frankly, I am sick of you belittling and berating people that you do not agree with. No one else on here has the nasty, bully-like attitude that you have. If you don't agree with someone about something, debate them, don't call them names or dismiss their point of view because you don't like it. In short, stop being such a fucking cunt.

And you come across as the most catty, bitchy, bitter, angry, sad and miserable know-it-all stereotypical gay men on this forum. Every single post of yours reeks of negativity and confrontation. I hate that I am even stepping into your bait now as I know this is what gets you off, but you really are quite a miserable person...at least that is the character you promote on here.

Frankly, I am sick of you belittling and berating people that you do not agree with. No one else on here has the nasty, bully-like attitude that you have. If you don't agree with someone about something, debate them, don't call them names or dismiss their point of view because you don't like it. In short, stop being such a fucking cunt.

Nice to see you practise what you preach. :lmao: P.S my berating is ART but I don't bully and I'm NOT miserable.

Nice to see you practise what you preach. :lmao: P.S my berating is ART but I don't bully and I'm NOT miserable.

I do not belitte, berate, or call names....I always debate and never dismiss what other people have to say...that is the point of a forum. I told you to stop BEING such a cunt, I didn't say you were one....but hell, if the shoe fits. And I would bet $ you are a pretty unhappy chap otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to come across so venomous to complete strangers on the internet.

Guest Rachelle of London

I dont know about the US, but in the UK I dont think there is ANYONE that couldnt name a Madonna song.

I think the whole thing about young people not knowing who M is, is just silly. "Kids" these days are exposed to Youtube, Spotify, AOL etc I dont think there is one Madonna song that isnt on Youtube. Even the kids that are obsessed with Gaga will know Express Yourself loool

gb- as in performed on the show, I meant not as an audition- you know, with musical accompaniment and such.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only cleared the three songs ("Borderline," "Express Yourself" and "Like a Prayer"). :)

Nicki's "queen" comments (starts around 6:08):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyjdnt_kree-harrison-don-t-play-that-song-american-idol-12-top-8_music#.UVR291fJKgw

I do not belitte, berate, or call names....I always debate and never dismiss what other people have to say...that is the point of a forum. I told you to stop BEING such a cunt, I didn't say you were one....but hell, if the shoe fits. And I would bet $ you are a pretty unhappy chap otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to come across so venomous to complete strangers on the internet.

You belittle Madonna frequently on the Internet. Do you not consider her a stranger? I am not unhappy and I don't need to diminish you to feel better about myself. I just think that what you say is often utter nonsense.

Perhaps it won't happen now, but I am really surprised WBR or M didn't want her music approved for Idol back in it's heyday. I am sure they have bombarded her with guest judge privileges and a themed-show to her music (as they have done with other artists), but we know that is not her style. Still, perhaps it is just the licensing agreements. Isn't Madonna's music one of the highest-per-use fees in the industry. I remember some show stating once that they couldn't afford to use any of her music in a montage about her....lol.

You belittle Madonna frequently on the Internet. Do you not consider her a stranger? I am not unhappy and I don't need to diminish you to feel better about myself. I just think that what you say is often utter nonsense.

Boy, please. You are so full of it. I never BELITTLE Madonna, and it is unfair to compare her to anyone on this forum. She is a PUBLIC figure who lives a very high profile life. I will poke fun at her plastic surgery or give her shit for starting her concerts close to midnight, but I have the utmost respect, love and admiration for her as both artist and person. Learn the definition of belittlement.

PS: We obviously do not see eye to eye, so I am suggesting that we call a truce. I will not respond to your posts, you do not respond to mine.