When did Madonna get into Kabalah?

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

I know she was introduced to it by her friend Sharon (who was introduced to it by Sandra Bernhard) but when exactly did she start practicing it/go to the Kabalah center? I automatically assumed in 1997 or so, but I remember a fan telling me that it was a few years before then (and they said Secret is about Kabalah).

Madonna had ideas similar to Kabalah before she got into it, making it look like it goes back further in her work.

I agree.

It also seems to me now that Kabballah ideas have prominence in the influences that shaped Madonna's early career, making her gravitating towards Kaballah in later life certainly less of a coincidence.

I have been a friend of the lady who portrayed her mother in Evita (the one she speaks about in the Evita diaries when she says "Today I met my mother and I loved her...") She told me they became very close during that period (she even told Madonna she smelt some pregnancy in the air when she was in early stages of Lourdes pregnancy and nobody on set knew about it) and that she (my friend) was a Kabbalist at the time already and Madonna was in desperate need of spiritual guidance and, even when she had had some notions on Kabbalah it was my friend Victoria who persuaded her to start taking classes. So this was from February to August 1996. Maybe she is to blame, lol.

Oh and by the way, the red string in the right wrist I think is against the evil eye or the envy in some hispanic traditions.

This relates somewhat to this time period..

I was hoping someone could tell me where I could find scans of this complete 1996 Vogue interview.

Madonna%20-%20Vogue%20US%20magazine%20October%201996.jpg

I had the magazine at some point but it's now gone. She's wonderfully bitchy in this interview during the making of Evita and reveals that Sean had a girlfriend 2 weeks before he married Robin Wright etc.

I looked at Pud's site, he has the Australian version but no interview. Searched all over Goggle but nothing.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 years later...

I have been a friend of the lady who portrayed her mother in Evita (the one she speaks about in the Evita diaries when she says "Today I met my mother and I loved her...") She told me they became very close during that period (she even told Madonna she smelt some pregnancy in the air when she was in early stages of Lourdes pregnancy and nobody on set knew about it) and that she (my friend) was a Kabbalist at the time already and Madonna was in desperate need of spiritual guidance and, even when she had had some notions on Kabbalah it was my friend Victoria who persuaded her to start taking classes. So this was from February to August 1996. Maybe she is to blame, lol.

Oh and by the way, the red string in the right wrist I think is against the evil eye or the envy in some hispanic traditions.

What an incredibly cool story!! :thumbsup:

Hasn't that piece of red yarn frayed off yet?

Suspended for a week. Keep bumping up a bunch of old threads (many of which were negative drama fests) and you will get banned.

Guest eroticerotic

I'd say after Erotica, maybe in 1993. I know for the girlie show she wore an AIDS awareness bracelet, however it could also bass for the K red string. Maybe that's when it started.

I mean Secret the song pretty much was the beginning of her soul searching IMO

Guest bluejean

I don't think it was that early.

I don't even think it was during Secret. She was soul searching then but she hasn't discovered Kabbalah specifically. I guess this is something we can specifically ask her when she does one of those online chat things again.