The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

It has sold less than 30,000 so that no2 position is nt all it seems. Theres nothing to be excited about it being in top 2 with such low sales and no real competition out there.

Greatest Hits do fairly well in the UK - TIC is in the top 10 best sellers list alongside GH's from Queen, Abba.

There has not been any promotion by M as such - maybe some TV adverts and posters? The lead single was a no2 airplay hit with a decent spell in the top 10. Some local radio stations have played m tracks and given the CD away in competitions. Its not fair to say it has had zero promotion, unless you talk about M's attempts. Everyone seems to be promoting it except the lady in question. She has one of the best chart records in the UK.

There is a danger that if she does not promote it chances are it could be lost in the Xmas rush.

WOW

this is the album's 3rd week in the UK, at number 2, with a 1500 copies margin from the top spot and also it is a

greatest hits and not a new studio album oh and I forgot with zero promotion in that country

Guest Danny86

Actually, if we look at the double disc, 32 of the 47 tracks also appear on the DVD- and that's just under 70%. Unless they just look at the single disc...

No, it's the other way, 80% of the CD should be on the DVD. And that stands, since only "Everybody", "Holiday" and "Dress You Up" are not on the DVD.

I reckon it'll slip out of top 2 this week to maybe #5 or something. Still good nevertheless!

The fact that it’s her week on that Channel 4/4Music ‘World’s Greatest Pop Star’ thing will shove some sales its way.

The single will end up as one of her least memorable, and quite rightly so.

The album sales are DISMAL and there's still no word of any decent promo lined up in the coming weeks.

I doubt she is going to do the X Factor it would have been announced by now.

The music channel Madonna specials are wearing thin. Bascially its the same clips and

interviews regurgitated.

It appears she can't be arsed with promoting Celebration. Another wasted

opportunity.

Guest Danny86

There was never an opportunity here. Record sales are pathetic and they won't be pumping money into it only to satisfy the fans who want to see it outselling Hard Candy and GHV2.

Time to accept that Madonna left the sinking ship that is called CD sales.

I can't believe it's just spent its third week in the top 2 and people are complaining.

And why would she already have been announced for X Factor? Whitney was only confirmed last week and she's appearing this weekend. No other act has been announced.

Time to accept that Madonna left the sinking ship that is called CD sales.

Downloads as well judging by her latest chart performances.

Fact is - she needs to promote her current music to get people to come and see her live - despite all they hype about the Sticky & Stale tour being the highest grossing by a female act, she had to cancel gigs and play to 'sold out' shown in venues that normally hold twice the capacity. Interest is dwindling in her.

uk midweek singles

1 Alexandra Burke/Flo Rida 89.4k

2 Robbie Williams 42.8k

3 Chipmunk 20.4k

4 Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys 12.5k

5 Taio Cruz 12k

Top 10

Michael Bublé

Top 15

Whitney

Top 20

Jennifer Hudson

Paloma Faith

Top 30

Mr Hudson

Editors

Lostprophets

JLS

Top 40

Lady GaGa

Guest Danny86
Fact is - she needs to promote her current music to get people to come and see her live - despite all they hype about the Sticky & Stale tour being the highest grossing by a female act, she had to cancel gigs and play to 'sold out' shown in venues that normally hold twice the capacity. Interest is dwindling in her.

Wrong. All the promo will be focused on the tours from now on. It's even possible she starts premiering music live even before it's actually on sale to raise interest.

It is useless to hold onto old chart methods and conventions of the industry, Madonna is not going to follow them even if you scream flop. Fact is, she's the only female artist in 2009 who has a $125 million recording contract and it will be in effect for 8 more years.

It's up to Live Nation and record promoters to handle her dates and venues better. Even if S&ST success was not as immaculate as the hype said, Madonna remains as one of the very few artists in the business who's not struggling. Even if the single and the album sells peanuts, it's not a setback for her.

Wrong. All the promo will be focused on the tours from now on. It's even possible she starts premiering music live even before it's actually on sale to raise interest.

It is useless to hold onto old chart methods and conventions of the industry, Madonna is not going to follow them even if you scream flop. Fact is, she's the only female artist in 2009 who has a $125 million recording contract and it will be in effect for 8 more years.

It's up to Live Nation and record promoters to handle her dates and venues better. Even if S&ST success was not as immaculate as the hype said, Madonna remains as one of the very few artists in the business who's not struggling. Even if the single and the album sells peanuts, it's not a setback for her.

:megamanson:

Fact is - she's a brand in decline.

Guest Danny86

:megamanson:

Fact is - she's a brand in decline.

Must be hard to swallow for a longtime fan that Madonna is not following the route he imagined for her.

And I guess you do turn out to be one of the those whose fandom was based on Madonna being #1 everywhere?

Madonna is the biggest grossing female artist of the 2000s but feel free to act like having the top 2 selling Ł0.79 digital singles of 2009 is a sign of relevance and brand. It's not even enough to cover up the costs of recording and producing a follow up album.

Must be hard to swallow for a longtime fan that Madonna is not following the route he imagined for her.

And I guess you do turn out to be one of the those whose fandom was based on Madonna being #1 everywhere?

Madonna is the biggest grossing female artist of the 2000s but feel free to act like having the top 2 selling Ł0.79 digital singles of 2009 is a sign of relevance and brand. It's not even enough to cover up the costs of recording and producing a follow up album.

She's a brand in delcine - she's no different from the Rolling Stones in terms of touring (although I doubt she'll sustain it as long as they have) and she's the new Cliff Richard as far as the charts are concerned - i.e. she'll continue to make brief appearances based on her fanclub buying physicals. NB - I've never been a member of her fanclub and I haven't bought any Madonna product since the GI2M single.

Btw - you're going to look a right prat should she do the X Factor afterall :lmao:

Guest Danny86

She's a brand in delcine - she's no different from the Rolling Stones in terms of touring (although I doubt she'll sustain it as long as they have) and she's the new Cliff Richard as far as the charts are concerned - i.e. she'll continue to make brief appearances based on her fanclub buying physicals. NB - I've never been a member of her fanclub and I haven't bought any Madonna product since the GI2M single.

Btw - you're going to look a right prat should she do the X Factor afterall :lmao:

Maybe because that's the only way for established artists at this point? Do you expect radio to play her to death until she dies as if it was 1985? That's delusional.

And like I said, being the #1 played and digital selling artist is not that fills up bank account these days.

BTW, by the time her next album rolls in, there won't be physicals issued, they aren't even carried by stores at this point and they make up for like 2% of singles sales now.

Anyway, if your fandom depends on the exposure Madonna gets among the masses, it's up to you, but don't expect people agree with you on this. And like I predicted it a while ago, no surprise you turned into Madonna bashing, only because you want to avoid getting comments like "Celebration can't even sell 1/3 of Ultimate Kylie". You can just say "yeah, she's shit now, her crown slipped".

Even if she does X-Factor, you'd still be complaining about it not helping her not selling as much as Alexandra and you will once again contribute that to "diminishing interest", so you might as well save breath.

Maybe because that's the only way for established artists at this point? Do you expect radio to play her to death until she dies as if it was 1985? That's delusional.

No, as I said she's a brand in decline - the new Cliff Richard.

And like I said, being the #1 played and digital selling artist is not that fills up bank account these days.

But it's what keeps you current and relevant thus making people wanting to come and see you live.

BTW, by the time her next album rolls in, there won't be physicals issued, they aren't even carried by stores at this point and they make up for like 2% of singles sales now.

She'll be in even deeper shit then given that Celebration made the top 5 due to fans buying physicals. Still, at least it'll keep other heritage acts from clogging up the charts as well.

Anyway, if your fandom depends on the exposure Madonna gets among the masses, it's up to you, but don't expect people agree with you on this. And like I predicted it a while ago, no surprise you turned into Madonna bashing, only because you want to avoid getting comments like "Celebration can't even sell 1/3 of Ultimate Kylie". You can just say "yeah, she's shit now, her crown slipped".

Her crown as slipped because her creative well has run dry.

Even if she does X-Factor, you'd still be complaining about it not helping her not selling as much as Alexandra and you will once again contribute that to "diminishing interest", so you might as well save breath.

You could be right, Madonna's always been brilliant at promo when she does do it right, the VMAs for HU etc but she's always been brilliant at a lot of other things that she's not anymore. Problem is, there'll come a time when shows of that stature no longer want her - it's not like they'd allow Cliff Richard to plug his latest album on the show. :lmao:

Guest SuperPop

:rotfl:

Even sweeter when that Scottish cunt from The Sun was blethering on about it being aurefire number 1 :lmao:

:doh:

still 40k after only 1 day is a HUGE figure and that alone shows that he is having a strong comeback...

dont forget that 'Feel' which was his biggest hit worldwide only reached no4 in UK

queen bith are you a madonna fan,or a kylie fan????????and do you really think that kylie is original???

Kylie was always branded as a Madonna-copycat, although everybody likes her. I personally like Kylie, I went to her concert last year, but yes I can say she is 80% a Madonna-copycat.