Liz Smith: Is Gaga really the 'new Madonna'?

Camacho

wowowow.com

Liz Smith: Lady Gaga's 'Telephone' Video Sweeps the World

Is Gaga really the 'new Madonna'?

2010_0401_flickr_lady_gaga.jpg.jpg

"CHANGE IS inevitable. Except from a vending machine," said Robert C. Gallagher.

THE OTHER day we spoke of excess, in the form of the late producer and party-giver Allan Carr.

But what to make of Lady Gaga, today’s queen of excess? The pop singer dresses like an alien and rules the charts with her techno dance tunes. New York Magazine, which refers to her as "effortlessly global," has her on its cover this week, and many pages inside. She’s truly legit. (Once she was a schlepper, now she’s Miss Mazeppa!) She is also on the current cover of the handsome Hamptons Sheet, looking like … I don’t know what! However, one does take a second and third look. That’s for sure. She is compelling.

Gaga recently put out a wild and wicked video, "Telephone," guest starring Beyoncé. The video caused a sensation – lots of people loved it, and then there were the moralists who found it offensive. (The vid highlights prison escape, mass murder, masturbation references, a strong lesbian vibe, lots of skin.) Donny Osmond himself condemned it. Gaga, I’m sure, would have preferred harsh words from Sarah Palin – so much more newsworthy!

"Telephone" is the most elaborate video in some time. It recalls the classic (and expensive) works of Michael Jackson and Madonna, the two artists who ruled the medium in the ’80s and early ’90s. "Telephone" made 2010 people sit up and take notice – even those who were not really into La Gaga.

BUT, can Gaga hold onto her popularity? She has a powerful voice, though it is jacked up and often distorted via the electronica so beloved today. She can dance. She has humor. The outfits, however, are a gimmick that I fear will pall quickly; she doesn’t need them. They look uncomfortable and even dangerous – to herself and others. But that’s just my opinion. New York Magazine’s Vanessa Grigoriadis insists, "That’s the genius of Gaga; her willingness to be a mutant, a cartoon … One of her essential points is that celebrity should be the province of weirdos."

Lady Gaga is most often compared to Madonna, and cited as M’s inheritor to the crown as Queen of Pop. (It’s certainly not going to be Britney!) Hard to judge at this point. The culture (and the music biz) has changed so much since Madonna’s advent in 1983, that the landscape is almost totally unrecognizable.

Allowing for those changes, I don’t "feel" Lady Gaga’s impact as I did with Madonna – La Ciccone was also interesting as herself, as a celebrity, a star, an instantly iconic figure on the world landscape. Madonna presented herself as a sexual creature, open to all experience. She was no mutant! Her "reinventions" were mostly a matter of hair color, style and a different way of dressing. She always looked like herself. Even when she shaved her eyebrows to Marlene Dietrich antennae and put in a fake gold tooth. She was a new-style star who still paid homage to the great goddesses of the past.

LADY G,’s transformations are far more manufactured – deliberate costumes. One might say she is paying homage to the 1970s when performance art and camp sensibilities spilled out into the culture and the streets – especially in New York City. Or perhaps she’s taken some bits from John Cameron Mitchell and "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," as theater writer Michael Riedel suggested. However, she inescapably channels Madonna with remarks such as, "I want to liberate my fans and free them from their fears." (Hopefully, Gaga won’t channel M’s Sex book.)

Of course, Madonna’s music (her ballads anyway) and her early lush videos were more to my taste – as much as my taste would ever run to current pop music or MTV. Though she often lost me with her deliberate provocations.

As far as I’m concerned, the greatest thing Madonna ever did was her Marie Antoinette turn at the MTV Music Video Awards, vamping to "Vogue." It was sexy, edgy and funny. It was 1990. New York Magazine points out, "Madonna hasn’t had a sense of humor about herself since the early ’90s, where Gaga is all fun and play." (I thought M was pretty funny on "The Marriage Ref" – maybe being back in America – and being single – is loosening her up again.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyqjVjBMe4&feature=player_embedded

MISS Gaga has yet to break through – in my opinion – as Madonna did, in terms of "stardom." No matter that M’s movie career never quite panned out, she always had that glamour vibe, albeit on the funky side. And her personal life was subject to wild speculation. She was – and remains – a gossip columnist’s dream. (This columnist got to know Madonna, so there’s that issue in terms of judging Lady Gaga’s impact; she’s not calling from Budapest with the scoop on her first pregnancy.)

Well, we’ll see where Lady G. is 25 years from now. Initially, nobody thought Madonna would last more than a season.

Still, like Madonna, Gaga now finds herself the subject of major "think" pieces, such as Neil McCormick’s brilliant critique of "Telephone" in the Daily Telegraph. He opines that Gaga "might just turn out to be the ultimate video queen."

Hmm … although it would be absurd for Madonna, age 51, to be truly "competitive" with the much younger Gaga – in fact the two appeared in an "SNL" skit, spoofing a rivalry – maybe evaluations such as McCormick’s will kickstart La Ciccone into re-thinking what she’s been doing in videos recently. She should get back to the mindset that produced masterpieces such as "Like a Prayer," "Express Yourself," "Oh Father," "Bad Girl," "Vogue," "Take a Bow," "I Want You" and even 2000’s lovely, western-themed "Don’t Tell Me."

MADONNA has her four children, her admirable charity work, her multi-mega millions, her record-breaking tours, her gorgeous young lover, her legend and a mob scene wherever she goes. She ain’t crying and I’m not crying for her. Still, I could live forever and never again see Madonna’s pelvic squat thrusts that she thinks is dancing, as in her most recent videos and concerts. We know you’re fit, honey. And we know you love those techno sound effects. Enough.

Time for another reinvention.

The point is, GaGa might be huge for many decades and become very famous (which I do hope she does), but there will NEVER be another Madonna. To be honest, to even compare them is silly since GaGa is more Cyndi Lauper than Madonna. Like there will never be another MJ, there will be another M. There is one Madonna and that is it. Even if she stopped today and went into full-force retirement, she'd still be the Queen. Even 200 years from now, she will still be one of the most influential icons in music.

Guest chatty kathy

:thumbsup: Liz Smith always treats M and what she's doing w/respect.

Obviously likes her, and has for a very long time.

I often refer to her as "the other liz" when discussing M.

Madonna is Madonna. Lady Ga Ga is Lady Ga Ga. While I can see many comparisons between the two, I'm not going to sit here and make them and even twist it into something negative. Lady Ga Ga has a great road a head of her if she keeps doing her thing. And why can't Lady Ga Ga enjoy being just as successful as Madonna? Why can't she be that next huge female act (like Madonna once was) who entertains and pushes people's buttons? I do not feel threatened as a fan by that. Madonna has graduated up to a legendary status in my book while Lady Ga Ga is just beginning her journey much like when Madonna started in the 80's. If Lady Ga Ga can continue that momentum for 25 plus years... great for her. I applaud her. It's a tough business. And she has great potential. I like her very much and will buy her records as long as she is entertaining. This whole nonsense where fans are creating this GA GA versus Madonna is stupid and childish. They both are great entertainers. Of course, some people will enjoy one more than the other, but must we go on and on with the contest of it? People really take it far too seriously with the constant cracks at either artists. The real hilarious thing for me is both of the women seem to enjoy each other's work. They aren't looking at it from a comparison viewpoint. And even if they do, both seem to be enjoying it. And that's what I'm doing... "enjoying it". It's music... entertainment. But some do turn this into some World Federation Wrestling match among the entertainers.

Liz has always championed Madonna. She does seem a little disillusioned with her at the moment which I can certainly relate to at this point. Madonna does need to come up with something fresh and new and she can do that without 'competing' with Gaga (who I do love actually!) I hope M realises that she cannot simply get by on her past achievements alone. The last paragraph that Liz writes is spot on and Madonna needs to take note. I mean, I love the woman, but the half hearted videos, the childish lyrics, the re-hashed tour songs...it's all feeling a bit tired at the moment.

BUT, can Gaga hold onto her popularity? She has a powerful voice, though it is jacked up and often distorted via the electronica so beloved today. She can dance. She has humor.

:rotfl:

If by sense of humour you mean ridiculous outfits and forced self awareness, then yes. Gaga is a humourless cunt, she has about as much of a sense of humour as Aguilera. Though it's also true in the article that Madonna's sense of humour and fun has long gone.

Of course, Madonna’s music (her ballads anyway) and her early lush videos were more to my taste – as much as my taste would ever run to current pop music or MTV. Though she often lost me with her deliberate provocations.

:clap::( How I miss the BALLADS. Bring them back. They're becoming written out of her history.

And why the HELL should Madonna try and compete with this nitwit? A 51 year old vs a 23 year old (allegedly), come off it. Like Madonna said, "what does a 23 year old know about life" :horn:

It isn't 1986 anymore. Let Madonna do what she wants. She always DOES. And she very embarrassingly acknowledged this hag anyway, so I don't know what people are worried about.

Guest Pud Whacker

:rotfl:

If by sense of humour you mean ridiculous outfits and forced self awareness, then yes. Gaga is a humourless cunt, she has about as much of a sense of humour as Aguilera. Though it's also true in the article that Madonna's sense of humour and fun has long gone.

:clap::( How I miss the BALLADS. Bring them back. They're becoming written out of her history.

And why the HELL should Madonna try and compete with this nitwit? A 51 year old vs a 23 year old (allegedly), come off it. Like Madonna said, "what does a 23 year old know about life" :horn:

It isn't 1986 anymore. Let Madonna do what she wants. She always DOES. And she very embarrassingly acknowledged this hag anyway, so I don't know what people are worried about.

what are you talking about? madonna has heaps of ballads on every album. her ballads have never been conventional. examples: live to tell and frozen.

her most typical ballads are crazy for you and you'll see.

She hasn't had a ballad SINGLE for aeons though... so therefore they've become far less visible. You could say "Forbidden Love" was a ballad of sorts, yes.

The odd album track aside the last decade was non stop dance tunes (not counting that AL mess which had some ballads on it)

WIFLFAG was wasted with that horrid trance mix

I forgot about "Love Profusion" - that was good

lol! Forgot about that. But it was also wasted by Warners, released terribly.

I was talking about BIG Madonna ballad hits... not really been there since the 90s. She abandoned them (as singles) for the most part since Music, when touring became her focus.

I never think of the majority of her 80s classics being ballads either, but then I suppose you could say the mid tempo likes of "La Isla" and "Borderline" were ballads, since they have more resonance for a lot of people than the disco stuff.

Guest Pud Whacker

I was talking about BIG Madonna ballad hits... not really been there since the 90s. She abandoned them (as singles) for the most part since Music, when touring became her focus.

I never think of the majority of her 80s classics being ballads either, but then I suppose you could say the mid tempo likes of "La Isla" and "Borderline" were ballads, since they have more resonance for a lot of people than the disco stuff.

yeah. xo

miles away is a madonna ballad.

love, yes it is a ballad.... and I love it too ...but something is missing ......

I loved the article 100%

I can't wait for her New Reinvention!

Even if those 80/90s ballads didn't make it to the top 10 e.g. OF, BG, Rain, IWY, DW/SFL, TPOG, NRM etc, we still get great videos.

And yes, ever since post-Music era, no more BIG ballad hits, no more great videos.

I like what she said about Gaga being a mutant because that's true enough, she wears costumes but it's not fashion.

She IS a mutant

She's a 12 headed Gorgon-style MONSTER that comprises vomited out parts of Xtina/Winehouse/MIA/Roisin/Grace/Madge/Cyndi/Bowie/Mercury/Elton/Ace Of Base/Boney M and god knows what else

She (or her team) knows her shyt and is a good mimic as MIA said, if nothing else. Some could say she's the first true post-modern star since everything has already been DONE before after Madonna, who set post-modern in pop music and mainstream pop culture in motion.

WHATEVER post-modern is, that is. I have a rough idea, but don't want to bandy around that term.

But, and as much I'm not a fan of Gaga or am underwhelmed by her music (as I've said before, it's catchy alright and she has talent which you can't deny) she is the ultimate 21st century star for the Twitter generation. But I don't see her lasting (then again they also said that about...).

Beyonce will be the next one to go into "icon" or legend status, she's already done much of the groundwork musically.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

This was an excellent article (par for the course for Liz) and very fair and balanced to both Gaga and M. She sees the undeniable impact that Gaga has had and sees her potential future growth noting though that she can't endure with crazy outfit schtick forever, which is what I've said myself.

I think the key point she brings up is how the music landscape has completely changed since M's 80's heyday and it's for that very reason that Gaga can never "replace" Madonna but she can fill the equivalent role of female mega pop star in this present day scene. Endurance and her ability to remain fresh through the years will determine if Gaga can ever ascend to those higher iconic heights of stardom like a Madonna, Michael, Bruce, or Prince.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Beyonce will be the next one to go into "icon" or legend status, she's already done much of the groundwork musically.

Beyonce is more the Diana Ross of this generation though than being someone like Madonna. Bee has yet to do anything "groundbreaking". Yes, she's had her cultural impact with "Single Ladies", but has anything she's done really driven people's emotions like Madonna or Gaga? Love her or hate her, Gaga gets people talking; she incites passionate fandom, and disgust, and inspiration, and conservative anger, but at least she resonates. Beyonce is just...there, looking glam and sounding good, but so very shallow.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I like what she said about Gaga being a mutant because that's true enough, she wears costumes but it's not fashion.

Based on some of the ridiculous shit that I've seen going down the runways of Paris and Milan over the years (some of which Gaga has been wearing) apparently someone out there claissifies it as fashion.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

She hasn't had a ballad SINGLE for aeons though... so therefore they've become far less visible. You could say "Forbidden Love" was a ballad of sorts, yes.

The odd album track aside the last decade was non stop dance tunes (not counting that AL mess which had some ballads on it)

WIFLFAG was wasted with that horrid trance mix

I forgot about "Love Profusion" - that was good

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

Voices

Easy Ride

I Deserve It

Gone

All of those could be thrown into the ballad category.

Miss Ross is everything. She had more of a personality than Bee, could act and made better use of her voice.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on Gaga (obviously). The Fame Monster seemed like a better album than The Fame, but until she gets better production and lyrics and ditches some of the gimmicks then I think she'll burn out. She's already shown signs of wear and tear. Could really do with a break.

But then Madonna never stopped.. looks like Beyonce et al realise constant exposure and release of albums or singles to get your name out there is what keeps you in the game.

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

Voices

Easy Ride

I Deserve It

Gone

All of those could be thrown into the ballad category.

Indeed, and I'm well aware of that. But a ballad released as a single would be nice. It's a shame only hardcore fans would know those. I think the general public misses that from her and it would help soften her again with her being at a low point.

This was an excellent article (par for the course for Liz) and very fair and balanced to both Gaga and M. She sees the undeniable impact that Gaga has had and sees her potential future growth noting though that she can't endure with crazy outfit schtick forever, which is what I've said myself.

I was wondering what you thought of her exactly, it's been difficult to tell from the Gaga wars and your avatar. :rotfl: