Anti-maskers blast COVID-19 ‘hoax’ at meeting to reopen schools (UTAH)

Those quoted comments! :electropop: !!!

Anti-maskers blast COVID-19 ‘hoax’ at meeting to reopen schools

Brian Niemietz

New York Daily News

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:41 PM 

Y5PK7UXMJZGZVA2G6XL7FWCIHI.JPG

The Utah County Commission postponed a vote on whether or not to ask the governor's office for a partial exemption on the mandate for students and teachers to wear masks. (YouTube / Fox)

A meeting to discuss safely reopening Utah schools during the pandemic was speedily adjourned when at least 100 adults crowded into a small boardroom, mostly not wearing masks and occasionally espousing right-wing conspiracy theories about coronavirus being a “hoax.”

NBC News reports that Utah County Commissioner Tanner Ainge was booed while telling attendees “This is the exact opposite of what we need to be doing.”

He left after board members voted 2-1 to adjourn the meeting after roughly three minutes. Many congregants stayed behind to air their grievances.

The crux of the get-together in Provo, Utah was to discuss a mandate from the governor requiring schoolkids to wear masks in class to limit the spread of coronavirus, which has killed more tan 130,000 people in the U.S. and is spreading.

A 65-year-old grandmother of five was one of many skeptical voices in the room, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

“We are perpetuating a lie,” Denna Robertson claimed. “COVID is a hoax. It’s a lie. It’s a political stunt.”

Penny Brown, a mother of two, said she feared exposing her kids to the chemicals schools would be using to sanitize classrooms. She also worried that wearing masks would prohibit children’s ability to socialize in a healthy way.

“It’s going to rewire their brains,” she said. “I’m especially not going to send my son back to have his mind broken.”

Others shouted about “freedom and tyranny.”

Some attendees reportedly wore “Trump 2020” caps and carried American flags into the meeting.

Kathy Thompson — a teacher — also opposed having kids return to school in masks. She argued that students aren’t allowed to wear masks to school on Halloween and that rule should extend to the pandemic.

Another teacher, Bayley Goldsberry, whose husband is also an educator, said she would feel safer starting her first year as a teacher at Maple Mountain High School in the fall if staff and students wore masks. Attendees reportedly shouted over people like Goldsberry, who sided with science. The Centers for Disease Control has concluded that masks greatly reduce the spread of the virus.

Anti-maskers in the room told Goldsberry to get a different job.

Protesters outside the hearing reportedly called wearing a mask “an act of submission” and claimed “Jesus gives us a choice.”

America’s anti-mask movement is a curiosityto much of the world. Irish Times columnist Fintan O’Toole claimed in April that for the first time, the world feels “pity” for the U.S. on account of its handling of the pandemic.

I'm a teacher and I'm terrified to go back to work. I work in a low income community that was a covid hot spot. My district wants to reopen with in person instruction. It will be impossible to teach Kindergarten with all the restrictions in place. I have called out my local union publicly because they have gone silent, but with the fuss I caused the other day they agreed to a meeting. They were able to hear all of our concerns and the president of the union has stated to the governor that schools are not ready to open in the fall. Even if they do a hybrid schedule, I  will have to teach kids in person and virtually at the same time. I can't imagine that working at all. It will not be possible to follow our current curriculum the way it is if students must social distance and not work in groups. Teachers are resigning and retiring early that's how bad it has become. I don't know what to do other than keep speaking out and making my concerns heard. Parents in the district are refusing to bring their children back to school so hopefully the school board hears them as well. I wish I knew the plan or have idea of what they have in mind in order to list my grievances. 

On 7/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, Junior said:

Some attendees reportedly wore “Trump 2020” caps and carried American flags into the meeting.

Dumpster is the hoax that needs to be removed ASAP by this November!!!

4 hours ago, FreeMySoul said:

I'm a teacher and I'm terrified to go back to work. I work in a low income community that was a covid hot spot. My district wants to reopen with in person instruction. It will be impossible to teach Kindergarten with all the restrictions in place. I have called out my local union publicly because they have gone silent, but with the fuss I caused the other day they agreed to a meeting. They were able to hear all of our concerns and the president of the union has stated to the governor that schools are not ready to open in the fall. Even if they do a hybrid schedule, I  will have to teach kids in person and virtually at the same time. I can't imagine that working at all. It will not be possible to follow our current curriculum the way it is if students must social distance and not work in groups. Teachers are resigning and retiring early that's how bad it has become. I don't know what to do other than keep speaking out and making my concerns heard. Parents in the district are refusing to bring their children back to school so hopefully the school board hears them as well. I wish I knew the plan or have idea of what they have in mind in order to list my grievances. 

Sounds like you are advocating strongly for yourself, especially with your union. GOOD JOB! Stay well. I wouldn't want to do in person instruction either.