Evita appreciation

My mother broke her vertebrae three weeks ago and I'm helping her walk again. After she puts in a two hour exercise session she gets to watch a movie of her choice. So, today she said, "Let's watch Evita. I just love the way Madonna sings Don't Cry for Me Agrentina. She has such a beautiful voice".

Then my mom told me that she's seen all the different portrayals of Evita, and Madonna's is the best.

We watched it together and sang (and cried) our hearts out.

"I'm their savior, that's what they call me, so Lauren Bacall me from my head to my toes".

We had so much fun. I just wanted to share, because my mom is getting so much better.

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!

tumblr_ni14djtNWh1qlycwjo1_r1_500.gif

So you've changed your mind? Because I thought you used to say you got through the Evita period.

I've always loved the Evita era. Glad to see you've changed your mind!

Webo Girl, Loved hearing about you watching Evita with your mother and her reaction. Sorry though to hear your mother broke her vertebrae and hope she gets stronger and better soon. Wonderful that you are with her and helping her to walk.

As you were talking about your mother and Evita, bought back memories of my mother and an Evita story. My mother was a huge Madonna fan, just like me. She said way back when Madonna was first famous, that Madonna would be wonderful in a movie version of Evita. That stuck in my head at the time because seemed so different to Madonna. She had seen the live stage musical. She died before she could see the movie but I always marvelled at how she predicted that as well as predicting from Like A Virgin video in 1984 that Madonna would be the most famous female popstar of all time and would be around for years. She said she had the exact same charisma, star quality and appeal as Elvis and had not seen that with any other star since. Pretty amazing predictions.

I never listen to it, NEVER. Maybe because it's not Madonna's "own" music so I could never really relate to it at all.

For whatever reason, I am not as acquainted with this movie as I should be. Will need to remedy that, as I have both the Blu-Ray and the soundtrack!

Bad fan, I know.

I've watched the movie in the cinema twice.

When the first time I saw it, I was hoping she dies faster 'cos I wasn't aware the show is > 2 hours and I need to pee so badly.

WeboGirl, sorry to hear about what happened to your mum. I'm glad that she is on the mend.

Jan, your recollection about your mum had me in tears.

Madonna was magnificent as Eva. Loved her in the role. When I watched in the cinema, two elderly ladies, seated in the row just below mine, conversed loudly at the end of the movie about how surprised they were at Madonna being able to play Eva brilliantly. They also said that she was very beautiful. I smiled so big and felt so proud of Madonna!

7GieSU8F.gif

I saw it with my mother at the premiere in Romania. I was the only one, I think, to listen to the music during the credits until the end in the cinema :))

Then, I went again alone.

Anyone who sits through Lament without getting at least teary eyed is DEAD inside :angry:

* Raise Hand * :americanlife:

I needed to pee so badly and I couldn't wait for her to die.