100 years of beauty Icons - Madonna represents the 80's

Jazzy Jan

Always love to see Madonna acknowledged for her massive influence on beauty and fashion. In the Weekend lift-out today, Madonna was rightfully chosen to represent the 80's. This is the write up.

1980's

Madonna's more-is-more look

The 1980's arrived with a flurry of leotards, ra-ra skirts and leggings, and Madonna become the pin-up of the decade. Her look was more-is-more : the quintessential Material Girl wore heavy blusher, contoured eyeshadow, dark brows and fully lined lips. That's before you've even got to the mammoth proportions of her permed, highlighted hair, all sealed with hairspray.

Her gappy front teeth were instantly recognisable and her beauty spot inspired thousands of imitations. As the decade wore on, Madonna favoured a powdered complexion with bold, red lips, harking back to Marilyn Monroe in the 1950's but with a thoroughly modern makeover. Madonna even channelled her fellow beauty icon on the cover of Glamour in 1990, but was reportedly furious when it was rumoured the magazine airbrushed out the gap in her teeth.

This is the photo they used

breathless-12.jpg

So they used a photo where she's channeling old Hollywood for 80s Madonna. IDIOTS. :rotfl:

tumblr_inline_mnf3zl9ETh1qz4rgp.jpg

Jacket, have to agree. They should have used a photo of Madonna when she first become a superstar in the 80's, instead of Madonna as Breathless. O'h well, what do we expect from the Herald Scum. :lol:

Jacket, have to agree. They should have used a photo of Madonna when she first become a superstar in the 80's, instead of Madonna as Breathless. O'h well, what do we expect from the Herald Scum. :lol:

Horrible Murdoch RAG. :lol:

Who did they choose for the 90s and 00s?

Kate Moss for the 90's - Gang Bang will be happy

Beyonce for the 2000's

Did not agree with their 2010 choice - Cara Delevingne !

Re other decades -

20's - Greta Garbo

30's Katharine Hepburn

40's Vivien Leigh

50's Marilyn Monroe

60 - Penelope Tree ???? Crazy stupid choice

70's - Farrah Fawcett

Kate Moss for the 90's - Gang Bang will be happy

Beyonce for the 2000's

Did not agree with their 2010 choice - Cara Delevingne !

Re other decades -

20's - Greta Garbo

30's Katharine Hepburn

40's Vivien Leigh

50's Marilyn Monroe

60 - Penelope Tree ???? Crazy stupid choice

70's - Farrah Fawcett

Oh, I like Penelope Tree :) she is like a living Blythe doll :)

On a side note I am mortified and heartbroken that Mx has closed ( only the greatest printed newspaper in the world ) :( now all we are left with are the Scum and The Aged. Jazzy you will have to keep us informed of all the entertainment as I do not read either ;)

Oh, I like Penelope Tree :) she is like a living Blythe doll :)

On a side note I am mortified and heartbroken that Mx has closed ( only the greatest printed newspaper in the world ) :( now all we are left with are the Scum and The Aged. Jazzy you will have to keep us informed of all the entertainment as I do not read either ;)

I know. Loved MX. Their excuse about people using their IPhones was a big dodgy as well. Will keep you up to date Ivy.

P.s it could have been worse and chosen ( and surprised they didnt ) Taylor Swiftwind as 2010

True, but Taylor does not really have a look that anyone copies. Unless they dress up as goofy ballerinas in the Shake it Off video and dance like an idiot. :laugh:

Lovely that they picked her, and rightfully so, as you said. So many pics to choose from and yet!

1yDuLep.jpg

Lovely that they picked her, and rightfully so, as you said. So many pics to choose from and yet!

1yDuLep.jpg

:lmao: Love it Nemo. Any Murdoch paper is scum indeed. Mind you, I get it home delivered - as do with the Age. :lol:

Farrah Fawcett for the 70s is a no-brainer though I've always thought Jaclyn Smith was more beautiful. No disrespect to Farrah (I love Farrah), it's just that Jaclyn Smith is so classy, smart and next-level gorgeous. Lynda Carter too. Those 2 brunettes are damn hard to beat. But still, Farrah is the correct answer for the 70s bc she is iconic.

Nice to see Vivian Leigh on the list. I always stare at her makeup no matter the movie's she's in.

All women picked were in their 20's to early 30's in their respective eras. That's why i hate these articles.

Oh, cry me a river Maggie G

Farrah Fawcett for the 70s is a no-brainer though I've always thought Jaclyn Smith was more beautiful. No disrespect to Farrah (I love Farrah), it's just that Jaclyn Smith is so classy, smart and next-level gorgeous. Lynda Carter too. Those 2 brunettes are damn hard to beat. But still, Farrah is the correct answer for the 70s bc she is iconic.

Nice to see Vivian Leigh on the list. I always stare at her makeup no matter the movie's she's in.

Sloane, same here. Jaclyn Smith as Kelly Garrett was always the most beautiful angel in my view. Loved how she tossed her hair around so much as well. Farrah was lovely and started a major hair trend but was never my favourite angel - I even preferred her sister Kris Monroe played by Cheryl Ladd.

I had forgotten that Kris Monroe was Jill's sister lol.

I know what you mean about Jaclyn's hair tossing. In the opening credits of Charlie's Angel's she tosses her hair after turning around quickly; it was a behind shot just of her head. I remember this well bc my Uncle John would swoon that was his favorite shot in the whole show.

jaclyn-smith-photo119.jpg

Sloane, same here. Jaclyn Smith as Kelly Garrett was always the most beautiful angel in my view. Loved how she tossed her hair around so much as well. Farrah was lovely and started a major hair trend but was never my favourite angel - I even preferred her sister Kris Monroe played by Cheryl Ladd.

Kelly Garrett was the perfect combi of Sabrina Duncan and Jill Munroe. Loved all of gorgeous Jaclyn Smith's hair tossing as well.

av2f1rfy.gif

Kelly Garrett was the perfect combi of Sabrina Duncan and Jill Munroe. Loved all of gorgeous Jaclyn Smith's hair tossing as well.

av2f1rfy.gif

Yes, Look at Kelly toss her hair - she did it first and better than Beyonce and Belinda Carlisle - who are both experts as well.

Nemo and Sloane, will start a Charlie's Angels thread soon and we 3 girls can be an angel each. :laugh: Apart from Jill, Sabrina, Kelly, Kris there was also Tiffany and Julie - although only for 1 season. I didn't like the Charlie's Angels movies - although a fan of Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu - can take or leave Cameron Diaz - just did not capture the style and hair tossing techniques of the original angels.

Great to see M praised and recognized for her beauty!

For one of the MDNA shows, I was pretty up close and could not believe how lovely and jaw dropping she still is after all these years! :yes:

Nick. love hearing stories like this. Everytime I read about someone who has seen Madonna up close - either a fan, reporter, interviewer or celebrity - everyone comments how lovely and gorgeous Madonna is. I really really really want to be up close for her Rebel Heart concert.

Yes, Look at Kelly toss her hair - she did it first and better than Beyonce and Belinda Carlisle - who are both experts as well.

Nemo and Sloane, will start a Charlie's Angels thread soon and we 3 girls can be an angel each. :laugh: Apart from Jill, Sabrina, Kelly, Kris there was also Tiffany and Julie - although only for 1 season. I didn't like the Charlie's Angels movies - although a fan of Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu - can take or leave Cameron Diaz - just did not capture the style and hair tossing techniques of the original angels.

Nick. love hearing stories like this. Everytime I read about someone who has seen Madonna up close - either a fan, reporter, interviewer or celebrity - everyone comments how lovely and gorgeous Madonna is. I really really really want to be up close for her Rebel Heart concert.

Well I wanna be Jaclyn Smith but if someone else really has their heart set on it I don't mind being Tanya Roberts. She was in my favorite Bond movie.

Well I wanna be Jaclyn Smith but if someone else really has their heart set on it I don't mind being Tanya Roberts. She was in my favorite Bond movie.

Yes, I remember seeing that on a school movie day trip ! A View to a Kill - Tanya was blonde in it which was different as she was a brunette as Julie in Charlie's Angels. Grace Jones was great in that as well.

Grace killed it. She was the best part of the movie. Duran Duran did the soundtrack too. Little known fact, Sting was offered Christopher Walken's role but turned it down :shy: