Madonna as Symbol of Freedom

Shane

I feel like Madonna is perceived as a symbol of freedom in countries where women are oppressed. I am not sure how I have formulated this opinion, which I even pontificated on to a hater the other night. Can anyone who lives in such a country shed some insight? I would also be interested in hearing from people other than US/UK members what is the perception of Madonna in your country. I am genuinely curious. I was telling this same fucking idiot how Madonna has fans across the globe united in excitement about Rebel Heart, and she was like "I never would have guessed." Jesus.

Women aren't oppressed here, but isn't Madonna seen as a disgusting whore in those countries? :lol:

Maybe hahaha. Since we have members from across the world, I am very interested in hearing how she is perceived in various places. Of course I realize you can't sum up how an entire country perceives someone :lmao: But maybe some general perceptions.

Just thought it would make an interesting and informative thread. Could be a flop, though.

In Brazil she is perceived as a Head of State. A force of her own. Unstoppabble. When people say her name on TV or something, you can sense the excitement and respect demanded.

In Brazil she is perceived as a Head of State. A force of her own. Unstoppabble. When people say her name on TV or something, you can sense the excitement and respect demanded.

I LOVE THIS! Thank you :)

She is very appreciated in Latin American countries from what I've seen an read. The media there isn't ageist like they are in the US or UK

I can only speak for Mexico, but I agree. Madonna is seen as a sort of royalty. She's beyond the right or wrong. But many many stars are seen that way as well (national icons). As long as what you produce is good, the audiences are not ageist, they´re going to listen too you and request your music on the radio.

Madonna is probably the only US female "diva" that is fully respected (All the Mariah's-Whitney´s-Beyonce´s- etc. pale in comparison... we already have Thalia/Paulina/Alejandra/whatever to supersede them).

I can only speak for Mexico, but I agree. Madonna is seen as a sort of royalty. She's beyond the right or wrong. But many many stars are seen that way as well (national icons). As long as what you produce is good, the audiences are not ageist, they´re going to listen too you and request your music on the radio.

Madonna is probably the only US female "diva" that is fully respected (All the Mariah's-Whitney´s-Beyonce´s- etc. pale in comparison... we already have Thalia/Paulina/Alejandra/whatever to supersede them).

That is true. I didn't even know who Mariah Carey was before joining this forum. #localstar

I don't think she's a symbol for freedom anywhere, sorry. She is a symbol for empowering, though.

Thank you! There was definitely a member years ago who wrote a touching post about how she was a symbol of freedom to his female friends because of oppression in his country, but the chances of remembering who he was are slim. I agree with you about empowerment.