How did American Pie become a big worldwide hit during 2000?

xtaticboy82

when i hear american pie i get so nostalgic. i became a fan around that time and told everyone I loved madonna and everyone loved her. i think in all those years till confessions i only heard of like 2 people who were critical about her. (and even that was about her daughter's name being lourdes and not about her music itself)

ugh i miss those times and i don't like how that new generation has no idea. i can't even picture how amazing the early 90s and late 80s must have been. and ray of light.

Guest bluejean

Well I followed her from the age of 5 onward and the thing is, I was a kid growing up so perspective isn't all that accurate. But...

I'm Breathless/Vogue/TIC etc

She was super cool. Kids liked her cos she was naughty, risqué, showed her tits etc. This is when I started getting magazines like Smash Hits and she was as constantly on the cover.

Erotica

I know the media was slagging her off but boys at school were wild for her :lol: (And I was like 7.) Kids like rude shit and I don't recall anyone talking badly about her. Then The Girlie Show came so that continued. I think this is when I learnt what the word slut meant but we didn't see it as a bad thing :lol:

Bedtime Stories

This was when I first encountered people slagging her off. "Madonna's a lesbian" and that kind of thing.

Something To Remember/Evita

She was boring to everyone at school at this stage. They made fun of me cos I was a fan because she was considered fairly old and past it at this point. Evita had zero appeal to 11 year olds.

Ray of Light

Some kids liked her music but Frozen and all of that seemed very gothic and they compared her appearance to Marilyn Manson. She was often referred to by older people around me as a "legend."

Beautiful Stranger

More cool/acceptable cos Austin Powers was super popular.

Music

She was cool at this point. More the music than anything, people didn't really speak badly about her.

American Life

The Bond association was good but the AL project came and went with minimal interest. They played the songs on the radio but I don't recall hearing a lot apart from comments about her accent :lol: Oh and the Britney kiss was huge of course and everyone my age liked that whole thing.

Confessions

This was when I was going to gay clubs so of course she was the Queen of Life for everyone I came in contact with at that point.

Hard Candy

"She's trying too hard to be hip" type bullshit. Comments about plastic surgery etc followed by years of Lady Gaga comparisons while she was out of the limelight.

MDNA

People raved about the Super Bowl "she's still got it" but once Give Me A Bucket came out it turned into "She's old, she should just quit" etc. A lot of gays posting GGW on Facebook but then also a lot of gays talking shit about her (most likely Gaga fans and there were still a lot left in 2012.)

Rebel Heart

Never hear about her outside of the Internet tbh.

^ I'm around 12 years older than you, so I was 17 when IB/TIC were released (Year 12). I basically had to defend her as early as 1987, to be honest ("she's boring", "her new music sucks - her old stuff was so much better!" etc. etc.) and then when she disappeared in 1988, everyone said she was "over". LAP was massive, but she was still dismissed by a lot of my friends for not being cool enough for them. Madonna was someone who 13 year old girls liked (as was all pop/dance music).

A lot of people my age lost interest in Madonna around "Erotica" (I was 19 by that stage), as she'd gone "too far". My formal (prom) partner (who had planned to wear a replica of the dress from the "True Blue" video, but decided against it because the fabric was going to cost too much - she wore the same colour, though...this gives you an idea of how massive a fan she was) turned her back on her completely over "Erotica" and to this day won't have a bar of her (I should have seen the warning signs when she was absolutely mortified that I bought "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls!).

Most of Madonna's singles right up to "4 Minutes" were given a decent amount of airplay on the major Australian networks, but that all changed with "Celebration". I'm not surprised that the general public doesn't know much about Madonna's latest releases, becasue they're not being given the chance to hear them. Kylie Minogue is in the same boat - Australian radio (Nova aside) won't touch Madonna or Kylie.

"American Pie" was a bigger hit worldwide for Madonna than it was for Don McLean. He actually said that he liked Madonna's version and appreciated the fact that it was making him a lot of money (probably more than he made from the original version, although the lack of a single release in the US would have impacted on this).

Guest Pud Whacker

Just curious 'coz it only went at number 28 on BIllboard Hot 100. I know it was a UK number 1, but in Mediatraffic it was # 4 on 2000 year-end charts with the Glorious Music #1 song for that year!

http://www.mediatraffic.de/countdown2000.htm

single_ap.jpg

madonna_american_pie_flag_us.jpg?w=574&h

it was MARVELOUS!!!

the world had fallen in love with madonna again. like her movie career, she was lucky enough to get a second chance with the public.

and it would have def gone top 5 in america if she wasnt so concerned with holding onto maverick and have it shift more cds.

it was MARVELOUS!!!

the world had fallen in love with madonna again. like her movie career, she was lucky enough to get a second chance with the public.

and it would have def gone top 5 in america if she wasnt so concerned with holding onto maverick and have it shift more cds.

I read that as shit more cds. :demonic:

Guest Pud Whacker

second chance with the public??

Ray of Light was huge, I don't know if you remember that.

Yes Daniel, I do. Second chance at everything career wise. My head is screwed on.

Evita second chance at acting career. Ray of Light new acceptance and Grammys after 16 years in biz. Everybody loved madonna again.

Now everyone go fuck your hole. :ass: