Help! People Calling Madonna Old

Shane

I think the way people respond to someone or their own selves being called old dignifies the thoughtless attempt at ridicule. They are just using"old." If the group setting or the culture didn't view old negatively they would simply use something else. If we get upset at someone simply being called old are we agreeing with critics that "old" is an insult?

Our culture has become increasingly throwaway since the mid fifties concerning objects and anything deemed "old." I wonder as time went on whether people (especially women) haven't been objectified regarding their age? The way people talk about the "new Madonna" all the time and constantly trying to convince people that we need a new one is perfect example of how older women and men have now been reduced to objects instead of people and also an example of how nasty Madonna's critics are. They are using "old" now to not only get to the general public but also to the weakness of her fans. Many whether they admit it or not or whether it's unconscious or not have a problem with Madonna getting older.

They never admit to it or even entertain the idea but think of how they can relieve their own issue and put it all on Madonna in a lot of their recent criticism.

What a smart, thoughtful post. I tend to agree with you on this. I just haven't figured out my stance as to what age defines "old." I have always been an old soul. I put intrinsic value on the old, and like someone else said earlier, old should be a badge of honor. On the other hand, I just don't know if 56 really qualifies as old when people are increasingly living into late 80s/early 90s.

But Madonna herself feeds into this culture. She bows down to the idea that beauty = youth. She didn't used to. In the golden era of Music she was in her 40's, looked in her 40's, had Nickie and Donna in her video in their 40's and yet girls from 16 up copied her cowboy hat etc. Now she goes out and covers her hands because they would give away her age.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think its fantastic that Madonna is still going strong and performing the way she does at the age of 56. She's not elderly anyway, but I think its great that she defies societies obsession on pop stars being in their 20s or at a push early 30s.

People are starting to say that Britney is old to be doing her thing at 32/33 which I think is ridiculous. Hopefully Madonna will continue to go strong for many years to come and challenge and get rid of this concept that age defines you!

Ok so she does plastic surgery to try to make herself younger, but I don't think making yourself look younger is bad, it's the idea that after 50 you really need to take up knitting and sit in a rocking chair with cats around your feet.

Madonna has always taken care of her body and her health I don't see why it's different that she does the same to her face. She's not trying to prove anything to anyone.

Why not just affirm it! She is old. Change the meaning. Getting older is a good thing on the whole. The only reason people fear it so much is that it means there might less time ahead of them than we'd like to think, but that can be the case throughout life. Some people die at 25, some at 100. Some people don't fit into current aesthetic stereotypes, and so no one notices how old they are. Some people look like they've aged drastically by the time they are 30. As long as there is a stereotype to challenge, we should logically embrace anyone doing so, but fear is what feeds most of the western world through the pathetic culture we are enslaved to. Words as weapons only work if you validate the context they are delivered within.

Whenever I read about these idiots who try to write Madonna off as old or ancient I always see it as a projection of their own insecurity about getting older. It rarely has diddly squat to do with Madonna.

But Madonna herself feeds into this culture. She bows down to the idea that beauty = youth. She didn't used to. In the golden era of Music she was in her 40's, looked in her 40's, had Nickie and Donna in her video in their 40's and yet girls from 16 up copied her cowboy hat etc. Now she goes out and covers her hands because they would give away her age.

Well I'd like to see how you would react to 30 years of constant criticism by the media and the public. She has had the shit kicked out of her on several occasions as we have all seen publicly - no wonder it has affected her to the extent that she regularly wears gloves now. She is only human. She is very sensitive I'm sure - more sensitive than she lets on. She has never bowed down, rather she has been torn down by assholes who want to bring her down to their level - but guess what? She is still standing tall and proud.

Never forget:

“The tabloids complain about Madonna looking old, and people laugh at her for that. Then Madonna goes and fixes her face, and they laugh at her for that. Even though they begrudgingly say she looks amazing, they’ll still laugh at her for trying to look young. Then she steps out, looking amazing, and the tabloids go and blow up a picture of her aging hand. Nobody’s doing that to George Clooney, blowing up pictures of his hands! I look at these magazines, and I want to say to them, ‘What’s your point? That she’s aged? Does that surprise you? Or is your ‘point’ an attempt to undercut what she’s achieved?’ I think it is, even if it’s on a subconscious level. … And you probably wouldn’t turn down those hands if they were grabbing you under the table, you fucking idiots!” - Shirley Manson

:bow:

Never forget:

“The tabloids complain about Madonna looking old, and people laugh at her for that. Then Madonna goes and fixes her face, and they laugh at her for that. Even though they begrudgingly say she looks amazing, they’ll still laugh at her for trying to look young. Then she steps out, looking amazing, and the tabloids go and blow up a picture of her aging hand. Nobody’s doing that to George Clooney, blowing up pictures of his hands! I look at these magazines, and I want to say to them, ‘What’s your point? That she’s aged? Does that surprise you? Or is your ‘point’ an attempt to undercut what she’s achieved?’ I think it is, even if it’s on a subconscious level. … And you probably wouldn’t turn down those hands if they were grabbing you under the table, you fucking idiots!” - Shirley Manson

:bow:

Shirley was on point with this