[chorus, repeat]

I should be glad that I'm alive
It could have been much worse
I might have never loved at all
And never known what I am worth

How the gods above
Could be so unfair

[chorus, repeat]
I know she wanted to keep the ROL album at 13 tracks, but this song so deserved to be on the album proper and not just a Japanese bonus track or B-side as it fits so well into the themes and feel of the album. This song is so atmospheric - I feel like it's a message she sent out to the universe and it's just floating out there waiting for the right person to hear and answer it. It manages to be both melancholy and hopeful at the same time, both lyrically and in her delivery. Her voice is showcased perfectly here and I particularly love the layered vocals in the chorus and the glorious low notes she hits on the verses(she has a fantastic lower register which gives me chills every time). A rare gem in her catalog that should be heard.
Favorite lyric: Breathe in, breathe out I say a little prayer
How the gods above could be so unfair

Favorite musical part : The outro

Favorite vocal part: The low notes on the verses

One word that sums up this song: Hope

I have been in love with this gorgeous gem ever since it burst onto the scene via the US ROL CD single. It is truly one of the most beautiful songs Madonna has ever recorded.

The one b-side that equals the quality of her a-sides, better than most, in fact.

It was cited as a standout track in the Music Week review of ROL. I waited a couple of months later to hear the ROL album so I could have the Japanese import with this track at the end of it and hear everything, I was blown away by the album and this was no mere add-on.

I love the ethereal felling that the song has no beggining or end ! I love it since the first time I heard, a mantra to me, and use as signature in my emails, but with some changes :

I am glad that I'm alive
It could have been much worse
I might have never loved at all
And never known what life is worth

Incorrect, Mer Girl is brilliance. Has To Be should have replaced that travesty known as Little Shit!

This and nothing else but this.

To Have and Not to Hold -> Has to Be -> Mer Girl

The perfect sequence. That said Has to Be is perfect and really did deserve a spot on the standard edition. Why does Japan always get all the bonus tracks? I especially love those little jingles, they remind me of Like a Prayer.

I looooove this song so much. Brilliant its one of my favourites from ROL. Shame it wasn't included in the album. Madonna has strange taste sometimes I would have preferred this to Mer Girl

Mer Girl is hauntingly beautiful. It wraps the album up perfectly, especially with Drowned World as the opening track. The "I'm still running away" line was the perfect way to end the album. The song itself is Madonna at her most vulnerable ever, it's definitely one of her most personal, if not her most personal song.

Edited by JimmyJimmy