Longing and yearning
How can I explain how I feel?

[chorus]

Traveling, traveling [repeat twice]
Traveling, traveling, in the arms of unconsciousness

And all that you've ever learned
Try to forget
I'll never explain again

I always put my Madonna songs on shuffle to help me pick the song of the week to post and how cool is it that the first song to come on was the title track from the album celebrating it's 20th anniversary! This has to be one her most experimental songs at the time and certainly an extremely bold choice to release as a single. I don't think she was looking for a #1 on the pop charts with this song but wanted to make an artistic statement and show her love and appreciation for other types of music. You can definitely hear the Bjork influence on this track but she also manages to infuse it with her own style and musical sensibilities. The music is absolutely trance-like and other-worldly which perfectly conveys the message of abandoning logic and reason that the lyrics speak to. On a personal level, this was not one of my favorite songs from the album but I have grown to appreciate it more and more over the years and I have always respected her for choosing this as a single. If for nothing else, her decision to release it allowed us to experience the masterpiece that is the song's video. I was one of the lucky fans who won tickets to see the video premiere at the Pajama Party at Webster Hall in NYC and this song will always be associated with the memory of that night for me.

Favorite Lyric: And inside we're all still wet, longing and yearning

Favorite Musical Part: The "Traveling, traveling" section

Favorite Vocal Part: "In the arms of unconsciousness"

One Word That Sums Up This Song: Trance

What do you think of this song?

Mooncrown, I love your description of the song and agree that with you that it is trance-like and other-worldly. This was such a different and unique song for Madonna to record and was a brave choice for a single release. I also think it is a song that is appreciated with more listens and thus ages wonderfully. The video clip is magical, interesting and truly gorgeous. Plus, I loved her performance of it as the Brit awards. Madonna looked like a modern day Rapunzel come to life with the long blonde wig, the wind machine and the beautiful silver Versace dress.

My all time favourite Madonna song from the second I heard it 20 years ago when Bedtime Stories was first released. This was a pretty decent hit here in Australia when it was released and debuted at number 5 on our charts. The video is an absolute masterpiece as is the Brit Awards performance which was based on the video. I find it kind of strange that Bedtime Story was completely ignored at the VMA's, what happened there exactly? Did MTV even play it or did it not connect with viewers? It should have been nominated in multiple categories. It's even stranger considering Madonna would sweep the board with a video nowhere near as good as Bedtime Story just 3 years later. In a parallel universe Madonna would steal the show in 1995. At least she won for Take a Bow.

My all time favourite Madonna song from the second I heard it 20 years ago when Bedtime Stories was first released. This was a pretty decent hit here in Australia when it was released and debuted at number 5 on our charts. The video is an absolute masterpiece as is the Brit Awards performance which was based on the video. I find it kind of strange that Bedtime Story was completely ignored at the VMA's, what happened there exactly? Did MTV even play it or did it not connect with viewers? It should have been nominated in multiple categories. It's even stranger considering Madonna would sweep the board with a video nowhere near as good as Bedtime Story just 3 years later. In a parallel universe Madonna would steal the show in 1995. At least she won for Take a Bow.

Yes agree with you about not understanding how this video was ignored at the VMA's. It is first rate and as good as any music video I have seen.

At the time of the release of the single, I was a huge Bjork fan. I loved how the track was clearly inspired by Bjork's creative output at the time.

I also agree that it took balls to release BS as the third single off the incredible Bedtime Stories, especially when it was obvious it would never be a huge hit in the US.

I have to admit that it still saddens me to know that M once collaborated with amazing, creative artists, such as, Bjork, Massive Attack, and Mirwais. We now get Miley Katy, & Nicki Minaj. Hopefully, never Rebecca Black or One Direction!

Anyway, I still love the bitch no matter what!!

If someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose only one favorite song from Madonna, I'd probably say Bedtime Story.

This song, to me, is perfect. Wouldn't change anything about it. It's so unique and so different not only from other Madonna songs, but from other artists' songs it's a shame it isn't more well known.

And 2 of my favorite artists worked on this song so that makes it even more special to me.

20 years later and it still sounds better, more innovative and fresher than most of the music released recently.

Yes agree with you about not understanding how this video was ignored at the VMA's. It is first rate and as good as any music video I have seen.

Believe it or not, "Bedtime Story" wasn't actually submitted for the VMAs. There's a rule stipulating that an artist can only submit a maximum of two entries per year. Warners chose to submit TAB and HN. They chose HN over BS because BS had underperformed, and when they had to submit the nominations, HN was shaping up to be a bigger hit in the US than BS, so they thought it had a better chance of being noticed. Weird, but true.... Obviously, they made the right choice with TAB (it won), but HN was beaten by "Scream" for "Best Dance Video".

As for the song itself, it's my least favourite single from BS, but it's still a great song :thumbsup: I was surprised that it did so well in Australia, though, especially after TAB stalled outside the Top 10.

I absolutely love this song! It was a turning point for her in so many ways, and the orbital remix, is the best remix of anything she's ever done. I still play it all the time, and it never fails to move me to my soul.

The video is of course genius. :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Guest bluejean

Amazing amazing song. I love it.

Also love the remixes. The video. Single cover. All of it.

In saying that I am certain Don't Stop would have been a much bigger hit in the US. But imagine having that song in her singles history over this. She really made the right choice.

Believe it or not, "Bedtime Story" wasn't actually submitted for the VMAs. There's a rule stipulating that an artist can only submit a maximum of two entries per year. Warners chose to submit TAB and HN. They chose HN over BS because BS had underperformed, and when they had to submit the nominations, HN was shaping up to be a bigger hit in the US than BS, so they thought it had a better chance of being noticed. Weird, but true.... Obviously, they made the right choice with TAB (it won), but HN was beaten by "Scream" for "Best Dance Video".

As for the song itself, it's my least favourite single from BS, but it's still a great song :thumbsup: I was surprised that it did so well in Australia, though, especially after TAB stalled outside the Top 10.

Thanks Carta. I was not aware of that. The Human nature video clip was fantastic too but I do prefer Bedtime Story . Glad at least that another fantastic Madonna video won with Take a Bow.

My favorite song on the album. I agree with you, it was not exactly single material but I was so proud of her to chose it and to invest to make a killer video.

I think the combo SANCTUARY/BEDTIME STORY is an highlight in her discography. It flows so well, it's just perfect.

One of the greatest songs,video and performances she's ever done!! Unfortunately there was no tour,du to the fact she was engaged to film Evita...

Curious fact that the lyrics had few changes from the original composition by Bjork. Like 'leave no logic and reason to the arms of unconciousness' or 'let's say goodbye to logic and reason'.

Edited by Plasticlimbo