Like A Prayer 25th Anniversary

scrapple

These are some of the outtakes from the album photoshoot that didn't surface until about 8 years ago when they were featured on Madonna.com and ICON magazine.

If Spanish Eyes (or Pray for Spanish Eyes) was ever considered to be single, these images would have fit perfectly

:wow:

herbritts_likeaprayer_ns7.jpg

2ic8vbt.jpg

Shame these were never used back in the day. She is stunning!!!!! :dramatic:

Spanish Eyes. One of her best songs ever. :wow:

I need to join the chorus of praise for Mattress - thank you!! :thumbsup:

I was 16 when LAP was released and it was a truly amazing era to live through. I think it's difficult to fully appreciate just how massive Madonna was at the time unless you were there (I mean no disrespect to the younger fans - I know Carley undestands exactly what I mean, given her post above!). Had it been the era of digital downloads and streaming etc. etc., the single would have been #1 for months and been certified 10xPlatinum in the US (streaming and sales combined), such was its impact. Like everyone else in this thread, I've listened to the album multiple times recently and it still resonates just as strongly with me as a middle-aged man as it did with the young, naive kid I was 25 years ago. Thank God for that!

Totally agree. For me, it was the best time to be a Madonna fan. EVERYONE loved her. Her music was making everyone mental. It was just so good. Words can't describe what a wonderful era it was.

LAP is Madonna's best album, and the LAP -BAT era was really special; it was a high point in her career, in terms of music, video, performance, and political message... it's the time that I started following her stuff more carefully... and I believe it's the time that she had her true fans committed; those who still follow her after all these years...

reading through Pat leonard's billboard interview, http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5944767/madonna-producer-patrick-leonard-talks-like-a-prayer-at-25

I find it amazing that what I consider to be her best album ever and her legacy to pop music history was composed and recorded I less than two weeks!!!

and to think that LAP (the song) was done in one day??!!!??!??!?1 WOW is the only thing I can say!

that track is timeless and for me it is the incarnation/definition of POP music.

Guest Pud Whacker

oh, wow, thanks, is that why it was shot in B&W ??

:ohmy:

it was shot in B/W because it was an homage to photographer Horst P. Horst.

Guest Pud Whacker

hm I always thought it was platin blonde but appeared like that due to lighting lol

the_more_you_know2.jpg

she was about two processes away from platinum.

Oh how I wish i would have been alive during this era...and the BAT era :(

It was a wonderful era that cemented her status as an icon. She's had many wonderful eras, but there's nothing quite like the 89-91 era (LAP album and single, Vogue, The Blonde Ambition Tour, the Justify My Love video controversy, TIC's release, Truth or Dare, etc). She was literally on top of the world and no one at the time was even comparable to her celebrity status.

This was the pinnacle of Madonna's Golden Age where both commercial success and critical acclaim collided in a HUGE way. Not many artists are fortunate to have anything like it.

Like Carly, I have been listening to Oh Father for maybe the 600th time in the past couple of days already,

the part at 2:20 always gives me chilllsss, omg

i listened more today :D hahaha

Oh Father was such an unlikely single, and obviously not very commercial due to the subject matter, but i'm so glad she released it and gave us such a beautiful video for it. She must have been very proud of the song at that time, even though it broke her string of top 10 hits in the US that had started with Borderline (but hey, she's not like Mariah).