Isn't Kanye's rap on Beat Goes On kinda...insulting?

debord

This came on my iPod on shuffle the other day and it reminded me of this. Look at some of the lines in Kanye's rap - they really don't seem overly complimentary towards Madonna:

I'm like a vampire on the full moon now (Madonna being labelled a 'vampire' by critics throughout her career)

I don't know about you now but I think I wanna try something new now

cause you was losing your breath now

Uh, 'cause you be doing it to death now

She be doing E to F now

What's left now?

All lines which kinda allude to Madonna having been around for a long time and being well past her peak (she be doing E to F now = she's at the bottom of the barrel). Then he raps:

Mr West now

Can you get any more fresh now?

I think I just did, just now

ie he's the new talent here and he just served Madonna.

I think you're reading a bit much into it. But yes, it's a shitty rap that was added very quickly to the track to save time and money.

This came on my iPod on shuffle the other day and it reminded me of this. Look at some of the lines in Kanye's rap - they really don't seem overly complimentary towards Madonna:

I'm like a vampire on the full moon now (Madonna being labelled a 'vampire' by critics throughout her career)

I don't know about you now but I think I wanna try something new now

cause you was losing your breath now

Uh, 'cause you be doing it to death now

She be doing E to F now

What's left now?

All lines which kinda allude to Madonna having been around for a long time and being well past her peak (she be doing E to F now = she's at the bottom of the barrel). Then he raps:

Mr West now

Can you get any more fresh now?

ie he's the new talent here and he just served Madonna.

I've had the similar feeling before while hearing this awful rap. I'm not sure it was intentional. He's probably just talking about that "little girl" who doesn't have the balls to take "be the star" which the track talks about.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were going to say that Kanye's half-ass attempt at a rap was the "insult" to Madonna.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were going to say that Kanye's half-ass attempt at a rap was the "insult" to Madonna.

Haha...well that too. Isn't the story that he was recording next door and they just grabbed him in or something?

Kanye is all about himself, so it's no doubt the rap is about himself and how he is better than everyone else. I am no fan of this song and think the demo was 1,000 times better. :)

this is when Conspiracy Theories make me roll my eyes big...like this!

Interpreting lyrics isn't a 'conspiracy theory'. You have no more idea what the lyrics are about than I do.

Who knows with him but.....I've always thought it was directed toward his other, "lesser" competition in the rap world. He's bragging about how big of a star he's become and how he's better than them. I'm actually not so sure his rap has anything at all to do with Madonna....lol....I think that rap could've gone in any of his songs. I think the line to take most seriously in that rap is the first one....."Uh...here's an impromptu..." CLEARLY it is! :)

Honestly, even Madonna's lyrics are an insult to her own fantastic songwriting abilities. It's a pretty simple-minded track, even though I admit it's a fun throwaway. I always thought Kanye's rap was about using his fame to get chicks into bed:

Uh, here's an impromptu, I want you

Translation: "I'm making this up on the spot, I want to fuck you."

I'm goin to tell you what I want to - do to you

Translation: "I'm going to tell you all the nasty shit I'm going to do to you."

Your girlfriend, she wants to - beautiful

Translation: "Oh? Your girlfriend wants to do a threesome with us? Awesome."

Just flew in from Paris - voulez-vous?

Translation: Could be a nod to the capital of art and fashion (Paris, France), but I am pretty sure voulez-vous here is a nod to voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir? Again, sex.

In the city that don't snooze

Translation: A nod to NYC.

Smooze amongst the Who's Whos

Translation: I flatter women to bed them in the A-list celebrity pool.

And I use my celeb to get this one home

Translation: "I am gonna use my status as a celebrity to land this bitch on my dick."

Why everything that feel so good gotta be so wrong?

Translation: "And that is probably unethical, but it sure feels great."

Gimme room now, I'm like a vampire under full moon now

Translation: "Stand back, I am becoming a sexual predator tonight."

And I don't know about you now

But I think I wanna try sumthin new now - see what it do now

Translation: "Let's try some new freaky shit in bed."

And when you sat down

Uh, cause you was losing yo' breath now

Uh, cause you be doing it to def now

Translation: "We fucked so much she lost her breath and had to take a break."

She be doin E to F now, what's left now?

Translation: "She was high on ecstacy, now she's high from fuckin'...what else can we do?"

Mr. West now, can you get any more fresh now?

Translation: "How awesome am I? I am the best."

Translation: "Wow, I am even better than I thought."

Talkin my shit, that's how

Translation: "Rhyming and rapping, that's how I got so famous."

I'm a professio-nal, I admit that

Translation: "I take my craft seriously."

Flashing Lights show I live that

Translation: "Performance is my life."

Fame is a drug, wanna hit that

Translation: "I am addicted to my celebrity lifestyle."

Cause they know exactly where to get that - did you get that?

Translation: "Since I am famous, I can get whatever I want...girls, drugs, money. Understand?"

Ever been to Saladworks? Whenever I go I always get the green goddess dressing. It's fucking DELICIOUS! It's like a ranch but so much more flavorful. I always ask for a wheat roll. I always get these mailer 'valupacks' in the mail that feature coupons for various businesses in the area. There's always Saladworks coupons in there for like $3 off, I always use them. It's better than having to pay $10 for salad when I could just make one at home and pay for nothing! But it's not the same, I'd have to go out to the grocery store and buy chunks of turkey breast. Then I have to cook the macaroni, which is just tedious for a salad, and when you put it all together it's not the same. Plus they don't sell green goddess in the store, Target does, by Kraft, but it doesn't compare to Saladworks homemade dressing.