The mid '99 to mid 00' era thread !

Pressston

This is probably one of her best era's, totally full of fun and good vibes. She looked great and seemed really happy.

Does anyone know why we didn't get more singles from Music. Why did they stop at three when the album was so universally successful like Ray of Lught. I'm aware of the issues surrounding Amazing and Madonna wanting Impressive Instant but sabotage her own album just because she didnt get her own way with single choices?

First off as you probably know, "Amazing" sounded too much like "Beautiful Stranger" and the William Orbit mix of "Ray of Light". As we all know, Madonna does NOT like to repeat herself. Sabotage is not the right word though. Madonna WAS willing to compromise. Yes, WB wanted "Amazing" to be the next single and Madonna wanted "Impressive Instant". Madonna would have gone with it if WB had agreed to pay for a "Impressive Instant" video and sent "Amazing" to radio. WB would have none of it.

But, more to your question. Madonna was wanting to push more "artistic, progressive" singles to show her edgy sound. Just like in 1995 when Madonna INSISTED on a single release and EXPENSIVE video for "Bedtime Story". WB wanted "Don't Stop" as the next single. Some large radio markets had already started playing the song, assuming it would be the next single. But Madonna, in yet another example of her wanting to be taken seriously as an artist went with a very UN-friendly radio track. Madonna had already done this with "Bad Girl" from the 'Erotica' album. BG tanked and she did a quickie video for "Fever", which was the more obvious song to be a single (of the two).

Even with "Confessions On A Dance floor, radio stations in Detroit, Chicago and New York City were playing "Jump". But it was ignored. In this case though, I don't know if this was Madonna or WB. I mean, "Sorry" DID go to #1 in the U.K but, didn't go too far in the U.S. Yes, "Get Together" is one of the high lights from COAD and initially sold better but, "jump" eventually out old GT.

Artistic integrity vs. Commercial success. Who the fuck can figure it out?

Beautiful Stranger was a great time, it got so much airplay, VH1 and MTV played it non stop and there were so many days dedicated to Madonna around that time, with tonnes of Madonna documentaries and music video with facts. I remember all the guys in school saying how hot she was in the video, calling her a MILF.

I remember finding out about her American Pie cover through a guy at school, it was a total surprise, when I got picked up by my mum at the end of school it came on the radio, I loved it, and loved the video! Bought the single on release.

Beautiful Stranger was a great time, it got so much airplay, VH1 and MTV played it non stop and there were so many days dedicated to Madonna around that time, with tonnes of Madonna documentaries and music video with facts. I remember all the guys in school saying how hot she was in the video, calling her a MILF.

I remember finding out about her American Pie cover through a guy at school, it was a total surprise, when I got picked up by my mum at the end of school it came on the radio, I loved it, and loved the video! Bought the single on release.

great memories !

Guest Madomination

Yes...with the one two punch of Ray of Light and Music, Madonna finally had a number one single and album simultaneously...something she have not achieved since Like A Prayer.

I am going to be Devil advocate here, it was 9/11 that lead to American Life that nearly derailed her career....as it lead to a radio ban that continued to this day...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even with "Confessions On A Dance floor, radio stations in Detroit, Chicago and New York City were playing "Jump". But it was ignored. In this case though, I don't know if this was Madonna or WB. I mean, "Sorry" DID go to #1 in the U.K but, didn't go too far in the U.S. Yes, "Get Together" is one of the high lights from COAD and initially sold better but, "jump" eventually out old GT.

Artistic integrity vs. Commercial success. Who the fuck can figure it out?

This is why many of us believe the approach should simply be to showcase her best work, or the work that's most representative of the album as a whole.

Guest Sweet Tooth

Time to do it again - i do everyday and it still sounds as fresh !

You got that right!

I loved the psychedelic 60's beat and the sexy music video with Austin Powers.

• 1 month later...

she looked 19 most of the time. In 1995 round Secret she looked older. Than around ROL till Music smth happened. She was resurrected :).