The American Life 10th anniversary thread

Roland Barthes

Thanks to American Life i did my first (and only) trip to UK just to see the RIT. It was the first concert ive ever been. At the time i was fully into Madonna loon mode and i still have the gorgeous Warner poster that i won from a record store and tons of magazines. Good times.

Guest bluejean

I remember it being quite big here. I remember LP being used in the Estee Lauder commercial and everyone loving that song. I spent the summer of 2003 in the Bahamas and AL video was being played soooooo much, thats where I learnt the rap looool

Its so weird how everyone's musical taste varies so much, I consider NF to be one of Madonna's greatest songs, yet some people say its one of her worst. I think its a testament of how amazing Madonna's music is, that us as fans have so many genres and sounds to explore in just her discography alone. Must be so boring being a Mariah fan where everything just sounds the same.

I like Nothing Fails, it's lovely.

It's not that I hate this album. I enjoy it. It's just that the style of music never felt right truly for Madonna. Some of the songwriting is great though. Yes it was all a nice little exploration of acoustic-electro-folk pop. But a dance/club album like Confessions really knocked it on its head big time. THAT album felt like a real Madonna album, exactly where she needed to be. Even Hard Candy feels more Madonna than American Life. I think Music, although similar in style works better because it's got the straight up dance or upbeat tracks like Music, Impressive Instant, Runaway Lover, Amazing etc. But then American Life is alot more personal, it has a warmth to it that is similar to Like a Prayer or Ray of Light. But its just nowhere near as good as those albums.

Guest Xanthium

The dichotomy of the acoustic tracks versus the songs with hard beats really reminds me of Bjork's Homogenic. Same concept except Bjork used strings instead of acoustic guitar.

The dichotomy of the acoustic tracks versus the songs with hard beats really reminds me of Bjork's Homogenic. Same concept except Bjork used strings instead of acoustic guitar.

I like you again.

Yes. ;)

Guest Not4Pussies

wow that's crazy, I recently made a playlist on ITunes with all of the American Life tracks and all of Homogenic and I pressed shuffle, amazing.

try listening to Pluto, Die Another Day, Nobody Knows Me, Alarm Call in that order with no gaps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moonbeam

It's sad that the album fared as poorly as it did. It had a lot of great material, and I certainly enjoyed it much more than Music. Unfortunately, the title track and lead single are by far the worst on the album, and it killed any chance she had of resurrecting it. "Hollywood" could barely get off the ground, and with a lackluster video, it sealed the nail in the coffin. That said, I have fond memories of the album. I was in graduate school at the time falling in love with the woman who would become my wife, and it came out a week before my birthday. I listened to it quite a bit and it's a contender for my top 5 Madonna albums.

It's sad that the album fared as poorly as it did. It had a lot of great material, and I certainly enjoyed it much more than Music. Unfortunately, the title track and lead single are by far the worst on the album, and it killed any chance she had of resurrecting it. "Hollywood" could barely get off the ground, and with a lackluster video, it sealed the nail in the coffin. That said, I have fond memories of the album. I was in graduate school at the time falling in love with the woman who would become my wife, and it came out a week before my birthday. I listened to it quite a bit and it's a contender for my top 5 Madonna albums.

Lesbian or straight man?

I adore the Hollywood film clip. It was simple,colorful,art and basically bringing guy burdans photos to life ( hence his pissed off son and court case) if his son was not so greedy, Madonna may have gotten away with plagiarism:) and then we could call her beyonce. It is interesting that Madonna would be influenced by a misogynist?