Michel Gondry mentions M in interview

peter

Madonna wanted to be famous in a James Dean or Marilyn Monroe sort of way and she got that. I think she was expecting it to come from movies and acting but threw it all out there to see what stuck. Once she was successful with music, movies became a challange so she kept trying. That's how I see it.

Very good way to look at it. And yes, you're exactly right, as Pud would say she was the Movie Star of Pop/Rock Stars. She had her precursors (Debbie Harry being the most obvious) but none did what she did and there is really no precedent for the type of star she became.

In fact, the only precedents are well - movie stars. Marilyn is the only 20th century female icon on a par with her, along with Diana and Thatcher. And it was the movie stars like Jane Fonda, Bette, Joan, Goldie Hawn, Liz Taylor, Dietrich, Katharine, Mae West (the closest in attitude), Bacall etc that were her real precursors.

Heck watching biographies of people from around her generation like Whoopie Goldberg and Roseanne with all their drive and groundbreaking accomplishments (even if not as visible as Madge) showed that she came from the right baby boomer era. The last time there was REAL stars.

He wrote the screenplay for Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and won an Oscar for that.
Gondry notably directed Daft Punk's Around The World and worked with Bjorkle I think

Had never heard/seen of these before.

I'm so outdated. :dramatic:

Eternal Sunshine is everything. Definitely his finest achievement and one of the best films of the decade, one that was made for the DVD era as you can get a lot out of it with rewatches.

Agree very much. And Kate Winslet's most Oscar-worthy performance. Certainly far better than the overrated The Reader.

Agree very much. And Kate Winslet's most Oscar-worthy performance. Certainly far better than the overrated The Reader.

Indeed. It was a tragedy Swank won again in such a strong year, but there were no realistic winners that screamed Oscar, she seemed the most obvious and the least arthouse. I would have one hell of a time choosing between Winslet and Imelda Staunton, perhaps the best two of the decade.

Guest ursaminorjim

He wrote the screenplay for Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and won an Oscar for that.

No, Charlie Kaufman wrote the screenplay (although Gondry and Pierre Bismuth have co-writing credits on the story with him). :)

No, Charlie Kaufman wrote the screenplay (although Gondry and Pierre Bismuth have co-writing credits on the story with him). :)

Yeah, you're right; I just knew he was one of the writers. I also just found out he directed the movie - I didn't know that!