CARDIFF - August 23 - FAN Reports, Pics, Videos

Guest Hafo

I was in the golden circle on the left side of the catwalk and just when I thought Madonna couldn't top the Confessions Tour, Bitch works it out on the Sticky & Sweet Tour! Candy Shop looked FIERCE as well as Madonna and I loved She's Not Me and I was holding my breath when she and her dancers were jumping double dutch put she pulled it off flawlessly (although she slightly fucked up at the very end). The Get Stupid video interlude is pure perfection, as is Like A Prayer and Give it To Me. Wasn't too crazy about 4 Minutes, Ray of Light or La Isla Bonita (after Like a Prayer she should've gone straight into Impressive Instant as it would of lucked stunning) but other than that, the tour was pure fabulousity. :dramatic: If you don't have tickets, I'd suggest you get them. My friend took loads of pictures and recorded video footage with his camera of the entire show. I will try and get him to upload the video clips as he got some good shots!

Was it sold out or did it look like it was relatively full (like 90% full). Or were they many sections that were not filled? We keep on hearing between 40,000 but others say 60,000

I was on the left side of the golden circle and there was practically entire section of the first level seating that was empty. There also some sections at the very top that were covered in black sheets (which means that those seats didn't sell). I'd say it was about 95% full.

Hmmm.... *wonders if I should listen to any forthcoming audio leaks* I'm still not sure if I'm going to attend this tour- when time gets close to the date, guess I'll make the final decision then. I did say I would def. go if she did "Borderline," so I have that in mind. :gent:

Even though there was a slight rock feel to Borderline, it still retains most of the original. You will love it, trust me! I almost didn't go either, but i'm so glad my friend insisted that I attend opening night. Vogue, by the way was mashed up with elements of 4 Minutes. Fabulous!

I was on the left side of the golden circle and there was practically entire section of the first level seating that was empty. There also some sections at the very top that were covered in black sheets (which means that those seats didn't sell). I'd say it was about 95% full.

I think I remember someone saying that when she played Atlantic City on TCT, there were black sheets up for the upper tiers as well - and that was still listed as a SELL OUT on the Boxscore report. I guess we'll see. :confused:

Guest Danny86
I think I remember someone saying that when she played Atlantic City on TCT, there were black sheets up for the upper tiers as well - and that was still listed as a SELL OUT on the Boxscore report. I guess we'll see. :confused:

I think that was reported for the last Fresno, Hartford and Boston shows as well.

I think that was reported for the last Fresno, Hartford and Boston shows as well.

Yeah, the 2nd hartford show def wasnt sold out.... The 1st show was which was cool.

Shows are listed as sellouts if the number of tickets sold equals or surpasses the pre-determined "sellout" figure listed by the promoter before tickets go on sale. Many of those figures for the CT were bare minimum attendances - some venues would have sold more than the number listed in Billboard. The black sheets mean absolutely nothing. If blocks of tickets are never put on sale, then it is still 100% correct for a show to be described as a "sellout" if all tickets made *available* to the public are sold.

Shows are listed as sellouts if the number of tickets sold equals or surpasses the pre-determined "sellout" figure listed by the promoter before tickets go on sale. Many of those figures for the CT were bare minimum attendances - some venues would have sold more than the number listed in Billboard. The black sheets mean absolutely nothing. If blocks of tickets are never put on sale, then it is still 100% correct for a show to be described as a "sellout" if all tickets made *available* to the public are sold.

oh come on, they would have put them on sale if they knew they could sell.

i went to both hartford shows. for the first night, the whole arena was sold out. for the second night, they put big black sheets in the upper levels because the second show wasn't selling out.

Finally arrived back in Edinburgh after the mlost amazing 24 hours.

Me and the boyfriend got to the Stadium at 2.30pm, finally we got in at 4.30 after a few false starts, got to hear her soundcheck LAP, She Not Me and Spanish Lessons. Then we had the pleasure of standing in a corridor till after 5.30, but we did get to hear her rehearse Ray of Light and You must Love Me :dramatic:. She did say something that sounded like she was addressing us which made us go crazy

Finally got in and we managed to get probably the best spot we could, right at the end of the catwalk on the right hand side next to the circular platform where LAV madonna came up during Shes Not Me. We were right at the barrier not front but second!!!!!

Then had the joy of waiting till 9.00pm so was very tired and bored. Then all was forgiven.

What can be said, fucking amazing!!!!. It was all perfection, the beauty of Devil, sheer hardcore dance of LAP and genius moment of her destroying looks from the 80's of Shes Not Me, the car in Beat (which caused me to nearly die from being crushed when she got out and danced on our side).

However the moment of the evening that will live forever in my head and on my phone, bluetoothed to me from my Boyf (will upload it when i can) is towards the end when madonna during Give It To Me and she stuck the mike into the crowd. She was literally 3 feet in front of me and i looked right into her eyes :dramatic::dramatic::dramatic::dramatic:

I am still on a high despite the sheer lack of sleep over the last 48 hours. I want to go again, and maybe a third.

In a nutshell, I almost came twice during Borderline. Literally. And didn't stop screaming during the first 8-9 songs, I finally lost my voice during Miles Away and lost my senses during Like a Prayer.

Guest boytoyville

Review from andifell @ ICON

WOW.

Firstly some bullet points:

- This show was built for Stadiums. It was just HUGE. Massive M’s at either side of the stage, everything was just BIG.

- Hot Tickets were SO worth it! A nice easy queue, a chat with the Livenation Manager (confirmed all the reserved seats were sold out, with “just a few” general admission left – phew!) A nice, polite queue, got let in just after 4.30pm, where we were held in the concourse and had a clear listen to M round the corner from us rehearse Ray Of Light and a BEAUTIFUL You Must Love Me. We had free use of the bars and the loo’s, and eventually got let into the stadium in a nice, orderly fashion where every person who wanted it could have been front row (although many Hot Ticketers stayed at the end of the catwalk!). And then chuckled as the normal Gold Circle people came bombing in. True, you could get a side on front row position with a Gold Circle ticket, so don’t panic!

- It was pretty much full up. IGNORE any bitchy newspapers claiming it wasn’t. The reserved seats were sold out. They were far more packed than Confessions, especially at the sides (which I understand offered a hideous view). The seats at the very rear of the upper tiers weren’t put on sale, neither were the ones behind the stage, and thus were tarped off.

- The only empty seats were several hundred to the rear of the pitch. These were general “free for all” seats that people who were standing could sit in if they wanted to. Same for Confessions. Who wants to sit?! The pitch was the same as for most stadium gigs I’ve been to e.g. packed at the front, emptier at the back.

- Merchandise. WOW. Bought the Guy Oseary Confessions Book, Programme, a few t’s, badges, mug, tote bag, black track jacket. Nothing specific to Cardiff though, and no shot glasses or buckets 

Before I start the review, can we all please get over the whole “she used Promo Tour performances yawn fest”. The vast majority of artists simply rehash the same old performances time after time – Kylie, Janet, Michael, through to the Stones, U2… we’ve got used to Madonna and her reinventions, but even then we’ve had relative reptitions before. Get over it. It’s boring hearing people moan.

So, on to the show…

Candy shop:- Fantastic video introduction – a pinball machine candy manufacturing visual on a huge box type screen, which then split up and spread out – breathtaking, everyone around us was opened mouthed. Directly into the Candy Shop performance we all know. A great starter.

Beat Goes On: Pimp fest. The “second song” is always a bit special – Get Together, Nobody Knows Me, Impressive Instant – this kept the trend. Who ever thought we’d see Madonna driving a (Cadillac?) down a catwalk? Amazing performance. Again, just so BIG!

Human Nature: You didn’t know whether to watch Madonna in her hat or the screens. Great reworking which worked really well. Britney on the videos at the end was great.

Die Another Day: A boxing ring at the end of the catwalk raises up to a sped up edit of Die Another Day.

Vogue: She’s all over the stage during this, including at the end of the catwalk on a mini stage that raises up into the air. Sounded like a live vocal, works really well over 4 Minutes.

Into The Groove: Everyone held their breath as Madonna skips onto the stage, then playfully jumps around as others twirl their ropes. Really, really good reworking.

Heartbeat: Calms everything down a tad. A good performance with great choreography.

Borderline: She “under” sung this if that makes sense. Really, really good version, imagine the original radio edit with guitar over it. Works really well, and got the crowd going.

She's Not Me: Fantastic! Open Your Heart Madonna with chair, Like a Virgin VMAs, Vogue in video Madonna and Material Girl Marilyn Madonna playfight with the real deal.

Music: Similar to promo tour, opening is different, choreography remains. Another encore-worthy performance. You haven’t stopped to breathe yet in the show, everything continues to be so BIG – all the dancing, its breathtaking.

Rain: Hideous, hideous videoscreens with a non descript dance track which occasionally samples the word “Rain” gives you a chance to catch your breath, run to the loo, chat to other Iconers about how amazing the show has been so far.

Devil Wouldnt Recognise You: Madonna in long black hooded cape lays upon a piano encased by a massive circular screen, as raindrops pour down the screens. Breathtaking.

Spanish Lessons: The nicest thing I can say about this is it gives you just enough time to nip out of the gold circle, go to the loo and get back to your friends.

Miles Away: The end of catwalk mini stage rises up high as Madonna surrounded by dancers plays the guitar and the stadium claps along.

La Isla Bonita: Very similar to Live Earth, slightly different arrangement, but sharper and more grand that Live Earth, similar choreography with every one dancing. Ignore the whingers, this fits perfectly in this section, you are left forgetting the Confessions Version.

Doli Doli: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Madonna sits and watches as the backing band perform. Not a good move, she could have don’t You Must Love Me here, moved the Get Stupid Interlude up one and popped another classic into the closing section. Be honest, would you rather have had Doli Doli or Gambler / Dress You Up / Open Your Heart / Take a Bow …? The only real lowlight of the show.

You Must Love Me: Seriously, we were all crying. I’ve never heard her sing so well. Kicked the living daylights out of the Oscars performance. She sat, surrounded by violinists and the dancers and belted it out. Beautiful.

Get Stupid: VERY VERY good interlude. New footage and very policitically drived.

4 Minutes: Dressed as a cyborg, she performs the same as the Promo Tour. The amazing opening is retained.

Like a Prayer: A Top 10 Career Best Performance. We’ll be voting this in the top 10 Madonna performances of all time in 20 years. Felix’ Don’t You Want Me mashed up PERFECTLY with Like a Prayer. The crowd went ape. Literally. At the end, Iconers, Tribers all stared open mouthed at each other. All we could manage was “WOW” with unanimous “awesome”..

Ray Of Light: Not the same as Confessions, slightly different opening, different instrumentation (more akin to the album version) done at the end of the catwalk – this was the biggest crowd pleaser of the night, with the stadium floor jumping like crazy and everyone doing the traditional “OOO-OOO” at the start!

Request Section: Despite us screaming for Gambler, we were treated to verse of Express Yourself..which went into..

Hung Up: The promo tour version, which worked in a Stadium setting as we’d expected. Something about in 29 moves the Queen takes the King…

Give It To Me: US Gay Club Circuit type remix, keeping the original elements and a perfect song to end on, with everyone jumping like made to the chorus with one hand in the air.

The screens ended with a “Game Over” to wrap up the pinball theme.

Not much talking, but Madonna appeared relaxed, well rehearsed, in good spirits and lively throughout the show. When “Game Over” pops up you think Is that It? Then you look at your watch and see 2 hours have just flown by.

Criticisms?

Doli Doli and Spanish Lesson.

The Sound in Cardiff. Far too quiet.

That’s it.

Absolutely breathtaking, tour de force, flies by, with a closing segment that eclipses any other Madonna show. Best performances were Like A Prayer, Ray of Light, La Isla, Into the Groove, with massive honorouable mentions to Devil, Borderline and Give it 2 Me.

You NEED to see this show more than once. There’s more going on than you can take in once.

It was awesome to spend the show with so many Iconers and Tribers – Tonybecks, Wannabe, GC79, ThomaslovesM, Madangel, JC, plus Phil and Michelle, and seeing Nicola, Danny, Daz, David.. our Madonna family keeps growing!

Nice, here I come!!!

Merchandise. WOW. Bought the Guy Oseary Confessions Book, Programme, a few t’s, badges, mug, tote bag, black track jacket. Nothing specific to Cardiff though, and no shot glasses or buckets 

I thought that wasn't out yet. Guess you can only get it on tour, for now.

The non descript dance track was Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics. I think the mix was great, although the video looked ...different. Iffy. Dunno, would need to see it from the front.

Sticky & Sweet Tour: Cardiff Fan Pictures - Part 2

madonnalicious reader Leon captured these moments from the opening night of the Sticky & Sweet Tour in Cardiff last Saturday.

cardiff_230808_leon1news.jpg

cardiff_230808_leon2news.jpg

cardiff_230808_leon3news.jpg

Sticky & Sweet Tour: Cardiff Fan Pictures - Part 3

Here are some more great fan shot pictures from the Cardiff show - these were taken by madonnalicious readers Tom and Kristof from Belgium.

cardiff_230808_tom_kristof1news.jpg

cardiff_230808_tom_kristof2news.jpg

cardiff_230808_tom_kristof3news.jpg

cardiff_230808_tom_kristof4news.jpg

i'm back from cardiff and Madonna was MAGNIFICENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have videos and a few pics!!!!!!!!!! still uploading them, its taking forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hightlight for me was the WHOLE SHOW!!!! shes totally outdone herself, i was so close to her the closest i have ever been i was about 5 people away!!!! i was right in front of the catwalk a bit to the left..and was so glad that we chose to stay there as she does concentrate a lot of the performances from the very front of the catwalk...so i would say be there when you go and see her right at the front! You must love me was so heart felt..she was really bearing her soul to us, that reason alone to be at the front!!! VOGUE WOW!!!!!!!! MIND BLOWING!!!! beat goes on was just everything..the car the dancing!! it felt like the car was gonna roll right into us. from were we were she was so on top of us the platforms that lifted her up just gave us a better view of her..IT WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! there is so much to this show...it makes confessions seem dull (did i really say that)...its fun fun fun..lots of humour all throughout. i have an amazing video of shes not me..but i warn you the sound on my camera is really shit..but the visuals make up for it. i will be back with some goodies! :)

here are some vids i took in cardiff...the sound is fucked on my camera but i think they capture the madness lol and the energy and atmosphere! it was crazy, it was such an amazing night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The greatest show on earth has just begun !!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXVtWS3cHg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RpW7qyg0TJM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps824wO8XHs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0LCE-vyo0mA

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtu_Zh_kfs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yf6PcTJ0bsg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PkNhbHh-EOQ

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O85kWFuiKa4

heres some pix i took!

Picture162.jpg

Picture163.jpg

Picture168.jpg

Picture177.jpg

Picture178.jpg

Picture179.jpg

Picture180.jpg

Picture184.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture191.jpg

Sticky & Sweet Tour: Cardiff Fan Pictures - Part 4

Here are some super tour pictures taken at the Millenium Stadium by madonnalicious ticket give-away winner John.

cardiff_230808_john1news.jpg

cardiff_230808_john2news.jpg

cardiff_230808_john3news.jpg

cardiff_230808_john4news.jpg

cardiff_230808_john5news.jpg

cardiff_230808_john6news.jpg

Sticky & Sweet Tour: Cardiff Fan Pictures - Part 5

madonnalicious reader Chris managed to capture the finale of the Britney Spears video during Human Nature and these other great shots of the show in Cardiff on Saturday.

cardiff_230808_chris1news.jpg

cardiff_230808_chris2news.jpg

cardiff_230808_chris3news.jpg

cardiff_230808_chris4news.jpg