Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Guest iMisto

I dunno... If I was her, I'd want to have tons of sales. Not for the cash, cause that doesn't matter, but just for the fact that you sold THAT many albums.

She's probably just happy with her 3 kids, husband, and chickens in the UK.

Guest nothingfails0603

that would be sweet if we got a 2-week #1 album, we haven't had one a multiple week #1 since LAP. Let's just hope the second week drop is respectable. I remember thinking AL would hold on well in week 2 and then it fell to #8

Guest nothingfails0603
She'll debut at NUMBA 1,

That's all that matters

people say that, but does it really? AL was a #1 and ROL was a #2. Which one is regarded as a success and which one is considered the biggest career blunder?

Projections:

W1: 270k

W2: 135k - probably enough to be #1 for a 2nd week

W3: 67k

Total: 472k after 3 weeks.

EWWW! Okay I know album sales should not matter at this point with Madonna, but 270,000 is only like 30,000 more than American Life for crying out loud in the 1st week. Sure sales have dipped since then across the board, but yuck. I am still hoping by some miracle that HITS is way off on this one.

Guest nothingfails0603
EWWW! Okay I know album sales should not matter at this point with Madonna, but 270,000 is only like 30,000 more than American Life for crying out loud in the 1st week. Sure sales have dipped since then across the board, but yuck. I am still hoping by some miracle that HITS is way off on this one.

well :::fingers crossed::: Hopefully the fact that 4 Minutes is the biggest US hit she's had since Music should account for something. AL was completely blacklisted by the radio and came out at the height of the anti-"liberal" backlash when everyone was uberpatriotic. HC has a solid hit to ground it a bit, and plus Bush is now the least popular president ever, so I think that accounts for something

Guest iMisto

He's actually the most UNpopular. Some how there is a difference.

Guess the least POPULAR is still Truman.... and Nixon. Bush runs 3rd. :lmao:

I dunno... If I was her, I'd want to have tons of sales. Not for the cash, cause that doesn't matter, but just for the fact that you sold THAT many albums.

She's probably just happy with her 3 kids, husband, and chickens in the UK.

It's true. Look at all the times she has experienced that before, she's been number one so many times, sold so many albums at this point it's just like whatever to her. It's important to an extent of course, but I'm sure it's not the "end all. be all" that it once was to her at the beginning of her career (although she never acted like it was anyways).

As far as Madonna not promoting, it's true it would've been good to see her out and about and no doubt it would've only helped album sales. But Madonna was never going to shift 500k of her album in the first week, that just DOESN'T happen for her. She could've went on Oprah, Idol....the whole nine yards and she may've came up 50k more than what she is now. Madonna has NEVER been big doing big promo for her albums.

Guest iMisto
It's true. Look at all the times she has experienced that before, she's been number one so many times, sold so many albums at this point it's just like whatever to her. It's important to an extent of course, but I'm sure it's not the "end all. be all" that it once was to her at the beginning of her career (although she never acted like it was anyways).

As far as Madonna not ######ting, it's true it would've been good to see her out and about and no doubt it would've only helped album sales. But Madonna was never going to shift 500k of her album in the first week, that just DOESN'T happen for her. She could've went on Oprah, Idol....the whole nine yards and she may've came up 50k more than what she is now. Madonna has NEVER been big doing big ###### for her albums.

If Oprah looked DIRECTLY into the camera and said, "Please, go out and buy Hard Candy... it's the best thing you'll ever do." Madonna would have pushed upwards of 700k. :demonic:

Guest nothingfails0603
Madonna has NEVER been big doing big promo for her albums.

people say that, but what about Ray Of Light? I remember she did Oprah, Rosie, countless MTV specials (back when MTV still cared about Music) and the whole nine yards. She was everywhere in 98 promoting that album it seemed. And the difference between then and now is that then she was a single mother with a year and a half old daughter, now she's married and everything.

Guest nothingfails0603
If Oprah looked DIRECTLY into the camera and said, "Please, go out and buy Hard Candy... it's the best thing you'll ever do." Madonna would have pushed upwards of 700k. :demonic:

"go to the nearest record store or iTunes and purchase hard CAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN-DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

Guest iMisto
"go to the nearest record store or iTunes and purchase hard CAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN-DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

And then they'd talk 'bout their va-jay-jays...

generally speaking... i think people rush out to buy a new album based on how much they liked the previous one. Music debuted with so much because everyone loved ROL. and AL debuted pretty well too, based on how people liked Music, etc. COADF was only a modest hit... and, so, i think it's effecting HC's sales. however, more than that... i think it actually has to do with the RnB vibe of HC... it's just not appealing to madonna's "core audience"... based on the first single, 4M.

well, why is 4M doing so well if people don't like it? well... people DO like it... just not madonna's "core audience". an RnB audience likes 4M, but that audience just don't buy madonna albums... apparently. they might buy a single... but not a whole album.

perhaps, since GI2M is a more typical madonna song... it might bring her core audience back home... and give the album legs. i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But then people didn't like (?) American Life and still COADF managed pretty ok without radio support anyhow...

and I think if it would only be her hardcore fanbase buying her records it would have been less even..

I don't see a danger to appeal to more people than just your hardcore fanbase... I think it's more dangerous to do the other way round... it might have worked internationally for COADF for instance... but that is because that kind of music works better for instance in Europe... not necessarily because Madonna's fanbase would be huge...

If Madonna would have just focused to make music for her core fanbase... she would have already been over...

well, why is 4M doing so well if people don't like it? well... people DO like it... just not madonna's "core audience". an RnB audience likes 4M, but that audience just don't buy madonna albums... apparently. they might buy a single... but not a whole album.

perhaps, since GI2M is a more typical madonna song... it might bring her core audience back home... and give the album legs. i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree 100%. It's the only way to explain huge single/ so-so album sales. The single is doing so well because it's appealing to people who know they don't want to buy the album... once "Madonna" singles are rolling out her casual fans will come around... let's just hope for some airplay!

I think everyone is getting nervous way too early. I have seen people predicting second and third week sales. It's going to be a great ride, why not just relax and enjoy the success and this new chapter? Hard Candy will do well because Madonna is supporting the album. Unlike Janet, for example, that bailed on her latest project. So if it opens with around 300,000 units people are going to call it a flop... by who's standards?

Guest missy bi_tch
Madonna's :dramatic:

well, madonna never proclaimed anything about wanting to sell 500k or 1 mil albums in a week...she just wants to rule the world

Guest danielal
well, madonna never proclaimed anything about wanting to sell 500k or 1 mil albums in a week...she just wants to rule the world

Hard Candy does 100 k in US for its first day (including here all the pre-orders from Amazon and iTunes)

So if it sells an average 30 k per day then it will do what the official sources predicted

E(wwww)= M(ooo) (Cow)2 does 150 k in US for its first day (including here all the pre-orders from Amazon and iTunes)

Then it sells an average 50 k per day

Now how come Payollah Crazey's E(wwww)= M(ooo) (Cow)2 did close to 150 k in its first day when its pre-orders were less bigger than Hard Candy, which did only 100 k in its first day?

So it's like her fans didn't pre-order her album (unlikely) but then went to buy in its first day like crazy? I'm not saying she didn't do those numbers but it's strange if u think about it. VERY STRANGE

Billboard.biz:

OVER THE COUNTER:

M2M - MARIAH HOLDS THE FORT, MADONNA ON DECK

May 10, 2008

by GEOFF MAYFIELD

You might have motion sickness if you've been watching the No. 1 slot on the Billboard 200 for the last two months, with new albums bowing atop the chart for each of the last eight weeks. Leave it to Mariah Carey to calm down the pace—until next week, when another veteran chart queen will rule the roost.

Despite a second-week slide of 61%, the sum that keeps Carey's "E=MC2" at No. 1 is respectable at 182,000 copies. That exceeds the 179,000-unit total that Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static" scored in the second of its three chart-topping weeks. His and Carey's albums are the only 2008 releases to rule the big chart for more than one frame.

The eight-week churn that Carey ends marks the longest turnover streak the big chart has seen since last summer, when albums by Linkin Park, Maroon 5, R. Kelly, T-Pain, Toby Keith, Bon Jovi, Miley Cyrus and T.I. played Hot Potato with the chart's top rung.

In the seven weeks leading to the entrance of "E=MC2," sets by Janet Jackson, Alan Jackson, Rick Ross, Danity Kane, DAY26, George Strait and Leona Lewis each bowed at No. 1.

DIVA JUNCTION: Topping Nielsen SoundScan's April 30 Building chart with 100,000 copies, Madonna is on course to notch her seventh No. 1 album. And, "Hard Candy" will be her fourth to start on the top shelf.

That total reflects unweighted first-day sales from nine accounts—Trans World Entertainment, Best Buy, Circuit City, iTunes, Starbucks, Borders, Target, Anderson Merchandisers and Handleman—that Billboard estimates to account for about 80% of U.S. album sales.

So, where will a start like that put her at the end of the week?

Since September, when Nielsen SoundScan introduced its Wednesday and Friday Building lists, four other albums clocked first-day sales in that neighborhood, with starts of 107,000 each for Chris Brown's "Exclusive" and Kenny Chesney's "Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates." On the lower end of that range, Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" started with 89,000 while Danity Kane's "Welcome to the Dollhouse" tracked an opening day of 92,000.

Of those four titles, the older-skewing Springsteen and Chesney surpassed 300,000 copies by week's end, the former at 335,000, the latter at 375,000. The younger-appealing Brown and Danity each ended up with sub-300,000 weeks: Brown at 294,000, Danity at 236,000.

Before you assume that the 49-year-old Madonna courts an older crowd, bear in mind that she recruited youth magnets Justin Timberlake and Timbaland to craft lead single "4 Minutes." Consequently, a source close to the album says iTunes downloads drove first-day sales for "Hard Candy," which suggests her opening week will settle in the range of 225,000-250,000.

That would mark a decline from the start for two of her last three No. 1 albums—350,000 copies for 2005's "Confessions on a Dance Floor" and 420,000 for 2000's "Music"—and more in line with the 241,000 that put "American Life" on top in 2003.

Considering that as diverse a list of veteran acts as Radiohead, Alan Jackson and Janet Jackson each led the big chart in 2008 with smaller opening weeks than each had in earlier years, I tend to think a start of 225,000 or more would be fairly handsome. But, just two weeks removed from Mariah Carey's career-best start of 463,000, expect consumer media to play the comparison as a diva smackdown.

'IDOL' WORSHIP: Pundits wondered if composer Andrew Lloyd Webber was an astute booking for "American Idol." But ratings didn't buckle, and some sales ensued.

Combined versions of Sarah Brightman's "Think of Me" sell 4,000 digital downloads (up 753%), Michael Crawford's "Music of the Night" tallies 3,500 (up 855%), and Madonna's original take of "You Must Love Me" moves 2,000 downloads (up 836%).

On Top Cast Albums at billboard.biz, "The Phantom of the Opera: Highlights" zips 10-5 (up 99%), while that show's Original London Cast Recording gallops 14-7 (up 176%).

Don't be such a drama queen! What would be awful is no new music, no hits singles (4 Minutes), and nothing ever from Madonna. Put things into perspective and stop being so negative. UGH!

And your silly names for Mariah are such a waste of space. Grow Up! Why are you pitting the two against each other? You sound like a moron, no other way to spin that!

Edited by notsomuch

Guest danielal

Hard Candy does 100 k in US for its first day (including here all the pre-orders from Amazon and iTunes)

So if it sells an average 30 k per day then it will do what the official sources predicted

E(wwww)= M(ooo) (Cow)2 does 150 k in US for its first day (including here all the pre-orders from Amazon and iTunes)

Now how come Payollah Crazey's E(wwww)= M(ooo) (Cow)2 did close to 150 k in its first day when its pre-orders were less bigger than Hard Candy, which did only 100 k in its first day?

So it's like her fans didn't pre-order her album (unlikely) but then went to buy in its first day like crazy? I'm not saying she didn't do those numbers but it's strange if u think about it. VERY STRANGE

Don't be such a drama queen! What would be awful is no new music, no hits singles (4 Minutes), and nothing ever from Madonna. Put things into perspective and stop being so negative. UGH!

And your silly names for Mariah are such a waste of space. Grow Up! Why are you pitting the two against each other? You sound like a moron, no other way to spin that!

Suck my ass you dumb bitch. You sound like a moron cause you take everything so damn seriously. LIGHTEN UP slut. No one is being "negative" you douche bag. If you werent such a fucking newbie maybe you would know that I am one of the few that is never negative. Facts are facts though. Idiot.

:dramatic:

I'll fucking die if she doesn't hit 300k.

Prepare your knife darling.

Thats another weird thing. Mariah sold only 50k more then her in day 1 yet didnt hits at one point predict that Mariah could sell close to 600k the first week? Why such a low estimate for Madonna then? I dont know. Whatever. Still waiting for a suprise outcome.

Guest missy bi_tch

dear, we really got you

three similar posts on three threads...