The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

X was reduced to £5 or £6 in the week of the Brits and spent 4 weeks in the top 25 as a result. Prior to that point it had already sold 330k in the UK. It has passed 400k this week.

Blackout has yet to pass 200k, at any price, although this is surprising as her singles have done well.

Blackout didn't have a TV special or Britney doing loads of TV shows to promote the singles off it; it's done those sales on videos and airplay alone.

X is a MEGA FLOP - it hasn't even done 1 million worldwide which means she's now beyond being a LOCAL ACT who's only market is the UK, and that's WANING. :lmao:

*FLUSH* :queenbitch:

The Brits saw its permanent reduction in the major outlets. but it was already heavily reduced in places like Amazon before that. As I said, yes it's sold more than 'Blackout', but it's hardly a fair comparison given that Kylie has promoted the arse out of an album which is still considered a commercial disappoint for her whereas Britney has done sod all.

QB started the comparison, with inaccurate facts (as always). I agree that Britney has hardly promoted her album and I expect her record label are happy that there is some interest in her whilst her efforts are focused elsewhere.

However, this constant referring to X being reduced is tiresome. Yes, it has been reduced, and yes, some retailers even reduced it (to £6.99) before February, yes, it could and should have sold more. It still sold 300k in 5 weeks last year at a general "normal" price, and has sold just over 100k this year, mainly at £5 or £6.

Blackout didn't have a TV special or Britney doing loads of TV shows to promote the singles off it; it's done those sales on videos and airplay alone.

X is a MEGA FLOP - it hasn't even done 1 million worldwide which means she's now beyond being a LOCAL ACT who's only market is the UK, and that's WANING. :lmao:

haha, perhaps you are right but you would say the same if she had sold 2 million of X.

QB started the comparison, with inaccurate facts (as always). I agree that Britney has hardly promoted her album and I expect her record label are happy that there is some interest in her whilst her efforts are focused elsewhere.

However, this constant referring to X being reduced is tiresome. Yes, it has been reduced, and yes, some retailers even reduced it (to £6.99) before February, yes, it could and should have sold more. It still sold 300k in 5 weeks last year at a general "normal" price, and has sold just over 100k this year, mainly at £5 or £6.

Well if it weren't for the reduction it would have left the charts soon after Christmas. I don't want to bash Kylie cos I actually like her, but I think 'X' is a very shoddy album and I think that's been reflected in it bombing absolutely everywhere except the UK, where it's still underperformed. Hopefully it will prompt a re-think.

English girl and her American boy recall echoes of Summer Nights

Monday March 31, 2008

Already number one on download sales, Estelle & Kanye West’s American Boy moves further ahead of the field, following its release on CD and 12-inch.

Although it gains a modest 16.7% week-on-week, American Boy’s sales of 60,497 are almost exactly twice that of its nearest challenger.

As its lyrics suggest, Kanye West is the American boy to Estelle’s English girl – and we should note that they are only the second UK female/US male duo ever to have a number one hit, the first being Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta, who topped the chart 30 years ago for nine weeks with You’re The One That I Want, and seven weeks with Summer Nights, both from the movie Grease.

While Estelle and Kanye West made a huge first-week impression, Flo-Rida has made slower but no-less-impressive moves with his debut hit, Low – and, contradicting its title, Low has hit a new high every week for seven weeks, moving 68-40-22-12-9-7-6-2. Its sales have increased by at least 24% a week throughout its climb, and jumped 40.1% last week to 30,487, following its transition from download only to physical release.

It helped the track to top the 100,000 sales mark – though its sales of 105,043 pale somewhat compared to the 3,399,981 units it has sold in America, where it was number one for 10 weeks. It is the second biggest seller yet on downloads there, trailing (but catching up with) Soulja Boy’s Crank That (Soulja Boy), which has sold 3,491,397 units.

Ten years ago last week Portishead’s fifth and last hit Only You dipped out of the chart but the Bristol trio are back this week, reviving a career many though moribund with Machine Gun. The first single from the band’s third album (that is its title as well as its rank in their canon) debuts at number 52 on sales of 2,607 downloads, a couple of weeks ahead of physical release.

The VW Polo car advertisement featuring a dog supposedly singing the Spencer Davis Group hit I’m A Man has had a galvanising effect on the original, and should also help the band’s former lead singer Steve Winwood, whose first album in five years, Nine Lives, is out later this month.

I’m A Man enters the chart at number 70 this week on sales of 2,023. It originally peaked at number nine in 1967 and was the last Spencer Davis Group single before Winwood – who also cowrote the song with producer Jimmy Miller – left the band.

Nothin on madge though sadly! but we might know later on today x

Can you believe TEAM KYLIE have actually set up a promo schedule in the US this week for

Kylie in the hope that someone poor souls will buy her latest pile of pap :lol::lol::lol:

The topic is about the UK Charts - NOT Madonna specifically so it's the CORRECT place for the discussion.

Well I correct you :angel:

It's about the Official UK Chart BUT... on MADONNA DISCCUSSION AREAS > THE CHARTS

Kylie vs Britney it's indeed on the POP PRINCESS AREAS

Got the picture? :boxing:;)

Guest Danny86

It's about the Official UK Chart BUT... on MADONNA DISCCUSSION AREAS > THE CHARTS

Wrong, we've always had threads for the UK chart, even when Madonna was absent from it. And since now we have every UK chart discussion in one thread, I think it's only fair to be able to discuss the chart performances of other artists in the same thread.

Wrong, we've always had threads for the UK chart, even when Madonna was absent from it. And since now we have every UK chart discussion in one thread, I think it's only fair to be able to discuss the chart performances of other artists in the same thread.

Well... it's fair to do that... but not doing half of a 20 pages thread with Britney vs Kylie non-sense discussion, don't you think?

Guest harbors
^Exactly!!

I got tired of reading about Kylie flopping. Two people were arguing back and forth. Take it elsewhere. Thanks.

enough! talk about the chart.

By your reason the section should only exist when there's chart activity from Madonna and nobody should be posting the entire top 75, airplay charts or the midweeks.

IDIOT

EXACTLY :clap:

No one's complained about people talking about Estelle or Duffy or how Discipline did (or rather DIDN'T).

^Exactly!!

I got tired of reading about Kylie flopping. Two people were arguing back and forth. Take it elsewhere. Thanks.

it's a discussion about the official UK charts so ANYONE who is currently on the UK charts can be discussed in it - COMPRENDE? :rolleyes:

That's actually encouraging considering Sam Sparro has quite an eye catching video and that's how I first got to hear the track. It will all depend on how well 4 Minutes holds up this week, prior to the video being released. I noticed Channel 4 have no plans to show it as an *exclusive* so it will just pop up on the music channels this Friday.

4 mins will fall at least one place by sunday due to the kooks overtaking her, but a one palce fall wouldn't be to bad, but Mariah might also manage to push her a further place down to get top 5 which is possible x

it's a discussion about the official UK charts so ANYONE who is currently on the UK charts can be discussed in it - COMPRENDE? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm....I think one of the forum leaders has the right to say what's acceptable and what's not, even if you don't happen to agree with them.... :nocomment:

Top 40 Only ( midweeks )

Singles

01 Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy

02 Flo Rida feat. T Pain - Low

03 Duffy - Mercy

04 Sam Sparro - Black & Gold

05 Kooks - Alwyas Where I Need To Be

Top 10

(7) Madonna & Justin - 4 Minutes :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

(8) Mariah Carey - Touch My Body

Top 15

(14) Girls Aloud - Can't Speak French

Top 20

The Courteeners - Not Ninteeen Forever

Top 30

(21) Sugababes - Denial

Yael Naim - New Soul

(29) Britney Spears - Break The Ice (D)

Top 40

Scouting For Girls - Heartbeat (D)

(34) Kylie - Wow

Rosin Murphy - You Know Me Better

Mariah Carey is still rising in downloads, not top 10 on i-tunes yet, plus the advantage of 99p physicals so 4 mins may fall a further place or more by the end of the week x

It looks highly unlikely that 4M will get to No.1 based on digital sales alone but if it's near the top 5 (or in the top 5) when the physical single is released, it should have a very good chance of hitting the top.

I think you should FUCK OFF

Charming :thumbsup: Like it or not, thebigham leads this forum and he has the right to steer the discussion in whatever direction he deems appropriate (hence his intervention earlier). There's no need for you to be so rude and obnoxious about it. Nastiness has no place on these forums and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I come here to read about and discuss Madonna, not to be sworn at by people who are deliberately antagonistic.

I think you should FUCK OFF

Not like you to hold back, haha.

Madonna needs to get a video out soon or this song is going to flop. I agree with the comment that this could tank HC.

I am not sure how 4M is being received in the US but it could be that 4M will be a bigger hit in the US than the UK, which hasn't happened for ages.

And as for the comments about taking the Britney vs Kylie posts elsewhere well.....I am with QB....as they are all chart and sales related.

Charming :thumbsup: Like it or not, thebigham leads this forum and he has the right to steer the discussion in whatever direction he deems appropriate (hence his intervention earlier).

And it's inappropriate to try and 'steer' a forum in a direction that suits himself - it's a chart discussion forum - and this thread is about the UK singles chart, not the performance (or should I say underperformance) of 4 Minutes on the UK singles chart. Had someone been discussing Kylie and Britney's performance on the US chart in the thread, he'd have had a point but they weren't and he DIDN'T.

END OF.

Madonna needs to get a video out soon or this song is going to flop. I agree with the comment that this could tank HC.

They also need to bring forward the physical single - I'm guessing this is going to go TITS UP, especially if the reviewers decide to take the line that the lead single has flopped so the album must be shite.

I am not sure how 4M is being received in the US but it could be that 4M will be a bigger hit in the US than the UK, which hasn't happened for ages.

That would be the most IRONIC thing she's ever done. :chuckle:

And as for the comments about taking the Britney vs Kylie posts elsewhere well.....I am with QB....as they are all chart and sales related.

:thumbsup:

However, there was one valid point made about the forum being under the Madonna section, it needs to be moved to the General section.