Female Artists with the Most Top 10/Top 40/Hot 100 Hits

Camacho

Billboard Chart Beat Chat

The latest news in the world of Billboard's definitive sales and airplay charts.

September 07, 2007,

Fred Bronson

WILL MADONNA MOVE UP?

Dear Fred,

I'm a big fan of Dionne Warwick. In a marketing campaign for her concert, she was billed as the female artist with the second highest number of Hot 100 hits. I've always thought that title belongs to Madonna. I did a little research and was shocked to find out that it was true and Madonna wasn't even in third place. Connie Francis is tied with Dionne.

Can you kindly give me a rundown of the top female artists with the most Hot 100 hits? As a bigger fan of Madonna, I'm hoping with the release of her new album, she will be No. 2.

Kirby Go

Vancouver, Canada

Dear Kirby,

The solo female artist with the most Hot 100 hits is Aretha Franklin, who has scored 76 chart entries between 1961 and 1998. By some strange coincidence, her 76th song to chart, "Here We Go Again," peaked at No. 76.

You're right about Dionne Warwick and Connie Francis being tied for second place, with 56 chart entries each. Connie collected her 56 songs between 1957 and 1969. Dionne ran up her total of 56 chart entries between 1962 and 1998.

Since Dionne and Connie are tied for second place, we skip down to fourth place, where Madonna has 52 chart entries (Brenda Lee appears to have 52 chart entries, but only if you count her Christmas perennial "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" three times. Since it was a re-entry the second and third time around, Lee's official total is 50).

You've probably already done the math -- Madonna needs five more Hot 100 songs to land in second place, a feat certainly within her reach. We'll have to wait and see if she can do it with one album or two.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

FYI - The list is the same for the females with the most charting singles in the whole rock era, not just on the Hot 100 which began a few years after the rock era started. (Before that the main Billboard singles chart was called the Top Selling Singles In Stores chart.)

Madge already has the most Top 40's for a female in the rock era with 47, which beats Aretha's 43 or so. Among all acts with the most Top 40's she's behind only The Beatles with 52, Elton with 57, and Elvis who had over 100 Top 40 singles if I remember correctly. HU broke her tie with Stevie Wonder at 46.

Madonna has 44 Top 30 singles, the most for a female in the rock era.

She's also the female with the most Top 20 singles in the rock era with 42.

Madge is tied with Elvis for the rock era Top 10 singles record at 36.

She has 27 Top 5 singles, the rock era record for a female and behind only The Beatles with 29 and Elvis with 31.

She has 27 Top 5 singles, the rock era record for a female and behind only The Beatles with 29 and Elvis with 31.

f@ck, i sooo want her on top of those artists... AL and COADF could've spawned enough to get past Elvis, ugh

Elvis has those pesky 2 double-sided hits, though, that some include in his total (I actually would, too). It's not like you can look at "Don't Be Cruel" and "Hound Dog" and just count one of them as a hit!

Of course, by now, M could have scored 38 top 10s on the Hot 100- and possibly 39- had Billboard properly charted "Into the Groove" and if "Beautiful Stranger" (almost a given top 10) and "American Pie" (a probable top 10) had been commercially released around the time their airplay peaked. But, no point in looking at the "if's," I guess. :)

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Billboard says Elvis' Top 10 total is 36.

I'm aware of the double single thing but BILLBOARD says he has 36 Top 10 Billboard hits. :lol:

As you can see, just charting on the Hot 100, even at #100, can help Madonna in the record books. There are fans that state, I would rather she not chart at all if she is not going top 40 or 30, etc. I'd be happy that all her next few singles hit the Hot 100, regardless of position.

As fans, we may just have to realize that is going to be the way.

(I'm not saying that she will never hit top 10 again, but we should just be happy that her music is able to hit the Hot 100.)

Guest Eternal Flame

As you can see, just charting on the Hot 100, even at #100, can help Madonna in the record books. There are fans that state, I would rather she not chart at all if she is not going top 40 or 30, etc. I'd be happy that all her next few singles hit the Hot 100, regardless of position.

As fans, we may just have to realize that is going to be the way.

(I'm not saying that she will never hit top 10 again, but we should just be happy that her music is able to hit the Hot 100.)

Yes. I'd rather Madonna have somewhere around 50-60 top 100 hits where most of them hit the top 40 rather than most her having say 90 hot 100 charting singles where most of them charted between 50-100.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

"American Life" was still top 40 wasn't it?

#37.

But that was after physical single sales plummeted (The AL single has sanned only 95,000 or so) and before downloads were big or even counted (and before her catalog was digitally available,) thus it had only airplay to chart on really.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

I'm saying that had AL been released in a time with downloads and them counting towards the chart it would have peaked higher as downloads are much bigger than physcial single sales were when AL was released and its sales towards the chart would have been much bigger.

We can't even say that with certainty, as other tracks would have been getting digital sales, as well. AL was a track that there just wasn't much interest in, from radio or the public (and with good reason, at least for a Madonna track and comparing it to most of her other material).

Of course, by now, M could have scored 38 top 10s on the Hot 100- and possibly 39- had Billboard properly charted "Into the Groove" and if "Beautiful Stranger" (almost a given top 10) and "American Pie" (a probable top 10) had been commercially released around the time their airplay peaked. But, no point in looking at the "if's," I guess. :)

I agree. WB should have at least put both "Beautiful Stranger" and "American Pie" out as CD maxi-single releases (like they did with "Die Another Day") if they didn't want to *cannibalize* soundtrack sales. This used to be the excuse. Now look how things have turned out! 99 cent digital singles! Even if they were released as limited CD singles it would have boosted them in the Top Ten I think. I'm sure "BS" would have cracked the Top Ten. "American Pie" was a possibility as well. So many *if's*, but it's a fact that WB messed up on a number of her single releases. That probably comes down to not caring about chart positions like some other artists do -- Sony being the example with Mariah Carey. Then again, she could have more Top Ten singles than she has now as well if they had released more of her singles commercially: "Anytime You Need A Friend" as a CD single instead of 2 over-priced maxi-singles, "Forever" commercially released as a single, and "Butterfly" released as a physical single.

Can't turn back time though. Oh well. :)

Fas as I know, "Anytime You Need a Friend" had been released as a regular single. Being the 4th single, its sales weren't going to be as strong as the others, anyhow, though. No doubt the other two would have cracked the top 10 had commercial singles been issued.

BStrgr. peaked at No. 11 on Hot 100 Airplay- so, if a single had been released around its airplay peak, top 10 was a given, and top 5 was more than likely. Amer. Pie peaked at No. 23 on H100 Airplay, and faded faster than BS- so, a top 10 peak was possible, if it had been released around the 5th-6th week of airplay.

But, yah, can't turn back the ol' clock.

From my own collection, "Anytime You Need A Friend" was issued as 2 separate maxi-singles, No. 1 & No. 2 (they are listed this way on the spine) with 4 tracks on each CD. I bought them for $6.49 each, at the time wondering why they hadn't just put all 8 tracks on one CD for that price! As far as I know, "Anytime" wasn't issued a standard 2-track CD single in the U.S. I looked it up on mcarchives.com now that you got me wondering if I had somehow missed it all these years. ;) It was, however, issued as 2-track cassette single, which I did not know. In any case, I always figured this may have hurt it's sales to an extent, resulting in it just missing the Top Ten (at #12). But who knows? :) What was most surprising is that Sony didn't issue "Forever" and "Butterfly" commercially even though Mariah had already missed the Top Ten with "Anytime". Apparently, from what I've read, they didn't want to ruin her streak of #1 hit singles. She never had one. :confused:

Now that we are on this topic, do you think "The Power Of Good-Bye" would have reached the Top Ten had Billboard not changed it's rules the week it plummeted from it's peak of #11? (Didn't it go #11 to #30-something when the new rules went into effect on December 5, 1998?) Would it have gone Top Ten the following week had the old rules been in place, or was it on it's way down regardless? I was always mad that it just missed the Top Ten by one spot since it was my favorite song at that time. :grr::thumbsup:

Guest Eternal Flame

Now that we are on this topic, do you think "The Power Of Good-Bye" would have reached the Top Ten had Billboard not changed it's rules the week it plummeted from it's peak of #11? (Didn't it go #11 to #30-something when the new rules went into effect on December 5, 1998?) Would it have gone Top Ten the following week had the old rules been in place, or was it on it's way down regardless? I was always mad that it just missed the Top Ten by one spot since it was my favorite song at that time. :grr::thumbsup:

I wondered this too, but I think it was Beautiful Stranger that told me that it wouldn't made the top ten anyway that next week.

Cassingle sales were the dominant format in 1994, so "Anytime..." not being issued on CD single wouldn't have had much impact. And, ya see. ;)

TPOG charted and reached No. 11 when the hot 100 was in drastic need of that overhaul. I think it was around No. 13 sales and No. 26 airplay the week it ranked 11. Then, the next week, with the all-encompassing Hot 100 Airplay chart, it inched up 48-45, but without a bullet.

• 7 months later...
Guest harbors
FEMALE ARTISTS WITH THE MOST HOT 100 HITS

Aretha Franklin (76)

Dione Warwick (56)

Connie Francis (56)

Madonna (53)

Janet Jackson (39)

Whitney Houston (37)

Mariah Carey (35)

Thanks.

Aretha Franklin (76)

Dione Warwick (56)

Connie Francis (56)

Madonna (53)

Janet Jackson (39)

Whitney Houston (37)

Mariah Carey (35)

her HOT100 misses: :(

EVERYBODY

HOLLYWOOD

NOTHING FAILS

LOVE PROFUSION

GET TOGETHER

JUMP

Updated:

Aretha Franklin (76)

Dione Warwick (56)

Connie Francis (56)

Madonna (53)

Brenda Lee (50)

Barbra Streisand (41)

Olivia Newton John (40)

Janet Jackson (39)

Whitney Houston (37)

Mariah Carey (37)

Linda Ronstatdt (35)

Guest missy bi_tch

isn't madonna the artist with a song that peaks in each of the positions from #1 to #11 on Billboard Hot 100?

then #14, #16, #18, #20.