Will Warners release a boxset to coincide with release of Rebel Heart?

cjc

Just thinking back to the release of MDNA when Warners released the Boxset of all of the previous studio albums. Would they do anything for Rebel Hearts release? Maybe a soundtrack boxset or unreleased songs album boxset

Just thinking back to the release of MDNA when Warners released the Boxset of all of the previous studio albums. Would they do anything for Rebel Hearts release? Maybe a soundtrack boxset or unreleased songs album boxset

Doubtful. They hardly promoted her back catalog when she was signed to them, so I wouldn't expect much now that she's not. And that box set was nice but could have been amazing with a tad bit of effort.

Doesn't she have veto power over these sorts of things? I doubt she'd want a box set with new material or any sort of special reissues competing with her new album. She'll save that for later.

that box set was nice but could have been amazing with a tad bit of effort.

Warner has no interest in promoting artist who is not signed to them. They were freeloading with not one, but two boxes of her back catalogue (one was her all studio albums, second had only True Blue, LAP, ROL, Music and Confessions) last time. Making a "nice" box/reissue would cost money and manpower and they wouldn't be promoting it (again - why would they have to promote someone from different company?), so it wouldn't sell. If they are to release something, I think it would be a so-called budget thing, like cheap basic best-of, or just assuring her previous albums were available. She's not a "back catalogue artist" yet.

Edited by habitant

I was wondering too, I loved the studio album box set, very handy for the car, but they could have done more with it, and a lot of people were unhappy with the obvious scanned artwork, like they couldn't be bothered sourcing the original to get the best print possible, same goes for vinyls.

if they can't be bothered to do it properly then don't do it at all.

I'm sure we'd all be screaming bloody murder if WB was diluting her catalogue with a bunch of crappy re-issues and box sets, but I really wish they would do SOMETHING. Remasters at the very least. Deluxe versions of pretty much everything from the 90s is in order. That said, the issue is likely M and Guy, not WB.

I'm sure we'd all be screaming bloody murder if WB was diluting her catalogue with a bunch of crappy re-issues and box sets, but I really wish they would do SOMETHING. Remasters at the very least. Deluxe versions of pretty much everything from the 90s is in order. That said, the issue is likely M and Guy, not WB.

See, I always got confused whether to blame Warner for certain things, because unlike Mariah and others, Madonna never seemed as chart obsessed. Like, who should be pushing for True Blue and LAP to get another RIAA cert: Madonna or WB? As for reissue packaging and remasters, it seems M would care very much about being in charge of that sort of thing. How much of the decision is hers vs the label?

Doesn't she have veto power over these sorts of things? I doubt she'd want a box set with new material or any sort of special reissues competing with her new album. She'll save that for later.

This is exactly right. The reason we don't have a plethora of "#1 Dance Hits" and "The Top 10s" and "Love Songs" collections from Warners is that Madonna still has complete control over her Warners catalogue (a rare situation for an artist who has left a label). In short, Warners can't release anything at all without Madonna's permission. She approved the box sets in 2012 (and the vinyl reissues), but there was nothing new about those releases. It's unlikely that we'll get anything new this time around.

I would quite like a multi-disc set of her 12" singles if properly remastered. It would get a bit tricky from Erotica onwards I guess with the amount of mixes each single got.

She approved the box sets in 2012 (and the vinyl reissues), but there was nothing new about those releases.

Do we know that for a fact? Perhaps she couldn't veto them because there was no new material included.

The only time this will happen is when she's dead.

Before she is even lowered to the ground, there will be Guy O thinking up brilliant NTP like selling Something To Remember with every prepaid funeral sold through iTunes at Silver Ladies Funeral Parlour.

Do we know that for a fact? Perhaps she couldn't veto them because there was no new material included.

As I said, she retains control over ALL of the music she recorded while she was at Warners. It's a highly unusual arrangement. If Warners want to release ANYTHING containing her work, they have to gain her approval. Whether new material appears on the release or not is irrelevant. Madonna (and Guy) approved the release of those two boxed sets (and why wouldn't they? More income for them).

The only time this will happen is when she's dead.

Before she is even lowered to the ground, there will be Guy O thinking up brilliant NTP like selling Something To Remember with every prepaid funeral sold through iTunes at Silver Ladies Funeral Parlour.

There's only 14 years' age difference between Madonna and Guy. With her genes, it's highly likely she'll outlive him anyway :).

As I said, she retains control over ALL of the music she recorded while she was at Warners. It's a highly unusual arrangement. If Warners want to release ANYTHING containing her work, they have to gain her approval. Whether new material appears on the release or not is irrelevant. Madonna (and Guy) approved the release of those two boxed sets (and why wouldn't they? More income for them).

I just wondered how you know in such detail what the deal is between Madonna and Warners. I thought the box set and vinyl reissues could have been the result of some kind of loophole in the agreement, and that's why there was no new material or alternate track listing of any kind. Apparently the box set even used old unsold CDs rather than new, specially pressed discs.

Thanks for posting, this was interesting... Most of her companies seem to have been started either mid-80s or 1992, except for the touring company - that was started in 1998. I wonder what Debutante Inc is all about? The others are straight forward to guess. Also, weird that all the companies are based in California when she lives in NY...

+1

This is exactly right. The reason we don't have a plethora of "#1 Dance Hits" and "The Top 10s" and "Love Songs" collections from Warners is that Madonna still has complete control over her Warners catalogue (a rare situation for an artist who has left a label). In short, Warners can't release anything at all without Madonna's permission. She approved the box sets in 2012 (and the vinyl reissues), but there was nothing new about those releases. It's unlikely that we'll get anything new this time around.

she s a smart business woman

I just wondered how you know in such detail what the deal is between Madonna and Warners. I thought the box set and vinyl reissues could have been the result of some kind of loophole in the agreement, and that's why there was no new material or alternate track listing of any kind. Apparently the box set even used old unsold CDs rather than new, specially pressed discs.

what a bunch of cheapskates