Madonna to star in "Valley of the Dolls" remake?

MerGirl

Valley Of The Dolls remake – Madonna playing the aging Broadway star!

Patty_Duke_Valley_of_the_Dolls.jpg

The bitchy, sexy and over the top drama of “Valley of the Dolls” – the 1967 movie based on the mega-smash 1966 novel by Jaqueline Susann – is set to make its “return” to the big screen via 20th Century Fox.

Patty Duke, Sharon Tate, and Barbara Parkins starred in the original movie, the story of three women’s rise, fall and pill popping tirades (the pills were called “Dolls.”) The film was set in New York’s theatre world and Hollywood movie biz.

The “new” Valley of the Dolls, will have a decidedly different “spin” on the original with L.A.’s music business being a big part of the story, particularly with the Neely O’Hara character (Patty Duke) the up and coming star who makes it big and has a major fall from grace. One of the writers of the new VOTD is Paul Rudnick, who did the “First Wives Club” and “In and Out” (such a funny Kevin Kline movie!) There will be a dark comedy aspect to the film.

Actresses on the “A List” for this movie are Anne Hathaway, perfect as the prim Anne Welles, Jennifer Lawrence as Jennifer North (the fallen Angel played by Sharon Tate) and Emmy Rossum as Neely O’ Hara (perfect casting!!) and producers are lobbying hard to get Madonna to play the aging Broadway star Helen Lawson, a role intended for Judy Garland in the original movie.

http://www.naughtybutnicerob.com/valley-of-the-dolls-remake-madonna-playing-the-aging-broadway-star/

I'd love to see her in a good film again.

She just needs a good director like Abel Ferrara from Dangerous Game to pull a great performance out of her.

Hopefully her vanity won't get in the way and she agrees to it.

I was thinking her broad upcoming schedule would be:

1. Record new album

2. Preparatory work on next movie to direct (ref. her answer on Reddit AMA)

3. Album release

4. Tour

5. Direct next movie

As evidenced in the Genesis Timelines, she has often paused songwriting and recording for other activities. If she REALLY likes the role an if her scenes could be shot in a 1-2 month timeframe, then I wouldn't put it past workaholic Madge to squeeze it into her busy schedule.

What do others think?

Oh god, are they really remaking this film? Please no! It's one of my all-time favorites! :(

And casting that Jennifer Lawrence broad would just be the nail in the coffin...

Madonna Being Wooed For “Valley Of The Dolls” Remake

020312_madonna_we.jpg

Madonna is one of our favorite pop icons, but her forays into the movie world have been a little, well, hit or miss. That’s not dissuading producers from trying to get her to commit to a remake of Valley of the Dolls, though, in the role of aging Broadway diva Helen Lawson.

hayward_dolls.png

Susan Hayward as Helen Lawson in the original “Valley of the Dolls”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CldO35qARF0#t=99

It’s being reported 20th Century Fox is working on an updated version of Dolls that will differ in some ways from the 1966 novel by Jaqueline Susann and the 1967 film that’s a camp classic. The L.A. music business will be the focus of the film, for one, and it’ll be a darker take—penned by screenwriter Paul Rudnick (First Wives Club, In and Out).

Lawson—who sees rising talent Neelie O’Hara as a threat—was originally played by Susan Hayward. (The Oscar-winning actress stepped in when it became clear Judy Garland, who was originally cast in the role, was too far gone from drugs and alcohol.)

Who else is being bandied about for the film? How about Anne Hathaway as prim Anne Welles, Jennifer Lawrence as doomed Jennifer North and Emmy Rossum as O’ Hara, who succumbs to booze, pills and partying.

Would Madge sign on to play a crusty hag? She might be brilliant in it—or it might be another Swept Away.

Edited by justinian

I hope she does this!! The original Valley Of The Dolls film is a classic.For the longest time,I've been wanting to see Madonna appear in a *good* movie.She should seriously consider this role.It might be her last chance to shine in a major motion picture.

this might be good material for both a musical and some acting in supporting role for an aging (ex)beauty in discovering talents…

moreover….Madonna was quite (suspiciously) close to anne hathaway…last year (during skiing holidays at valentino chalet)….and….some quotes from helen lawson (madonna rumored to play)

Helen Lawson: The only hit that comes out of a Helen Lawson show is Helen Lawson, and that's ME, baby, remember?

Helen Lawson: They drummed you out of Hollywood, so you come crawling back to Broadway. But Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope. Now get out of my way, I've got a man waiting for me.

Neely O'Hara: Who are ya hiding from, Helen? The notices couldn't have been that bad.

Helen Lawson: The show just needs a little fine tuning.

Neely O'Hara: Don't worry, sweetheart. If the show folds I can always get a part as understudy for my grandmother.

Helen Lawson: Thanks. I already turned down the part you're playing.

Neely O'Hara: Bull! Merrick isn't that crazy.

Helen Lawson: You oughta know, honey, you just came out of the nuthouse.

Neely O'Hara: It was not a nuthouse!

Helen Lawson: Look. They drummed you right outta Hollywood! So ya come crawlin' back to Broadway. Well, Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope. Now you get outta my way, I got a guy waitin' for me.

Neely O'Hara: That's a switch from the fags you're usually stuck with!

Helen Lawson: At least I never had to MARRY one!

Neely O'Hara: YOU TAKE THAT BACK...

[pulls off Helen's wig while scuffling]

Neely O'Hara: ... oh my God, it's a wig! HER HAIR'S AS PHONY AS SHE IS!

Helen Lawson: [singing] It's my yard So I will try hard To welcome friends I've yet to know! Oh, I'll plant my own tree. My! Own! Tree! And I!

[pause]

Helen Lawson: Will!

[pause]

Helen Lawson: Make!

[pause]

Helen Lawson: It!

[pause]

Helen Lawson: Grow!

Edited by justinian

• 2 weeks later...

looking to these below it's like a rehearsal from valey of the dolls....

If she needed some help brokering a deal for a new role, help was at hand at this bash as the night's honoree, Bryan Lourd, is Madonna's agent.

Lourd, 53, has served as Partner, Managing Director and Co-Chairman of Creative Artists Agency (CAA) since October 1995.

Lourd's clients include George Clooney, Robert De Niro, Brad Pitt, Robert Downey, Jr., Drew Barrymore, Jimmy Fallon, Matthew McConaughey, Sean Penn, Naomi Watts, Natalie Portman, Robin Williams, Arnold Schwarzenegger, David Duchovny, Helen Hunt, Oprah Winfrey, Tom Cruise, Penélope Cruz, Taraji P. Henson, and Peter Jöback.

He was married to the actress Carrie Fisher, 57, with whom he has 21-year-old daughter Billie; he came out as a gay man after the relationship broke down.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2t0cpC2MV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

article-2556573-1B5FA04500000578-165_634