Suggest A Marketing Strategy For Next Album

horn

Not sure if it would be feasible but rather than try keep everything under wraps to try prevent a leak maybe she should be more transparent while making the album. Similar to how Stuart "previewed" tracks anonymously for COADF, she could share some clips and teasers throughout the making of the album. Some music services like Spotify have "apps" so she might be able to cut a deal for an "exclusive" one with them prior to the launch of the full album. In addition to posting exclusive content to the app they can promote her on their service. They might even be able to work out a deal that she gets money for every person who joins the service just to have access to her app or something along those lines. Imagine the promotion a service would get with "Exclusive Madonna content" being reported by all the major news outlets! She makes more money from touring and other endeavors than solely selling her music so I don't think it'd be a big deal if she did give away some content for "free." Also when choosing singles I think they should pay more attention to how songs a "trending" on the internet. Again services like Spotify and last.fm allow you to see the most popular tracks by artists, by releasing these tracks I think there is a greater chance at having successful singles.

Another cool thing I think she could do is do a mini show like Roseland performing the new songs BEFORE the album is released. I think live performances make a huge difference to how the music is perceived. I know for me personally some songs that I haven't liked listening to an album become favorites after seeing a live performance. Also it's kind of like the old days before she had a record deal where she would play clubs and stuff to get people interested. Again I think the press she would get if she was to launch new music in a mini show streaming online would be massive. It may also soften the blow of a likely leak which doesn't get much press in the mainstream news. Plus I think it would be a really cool experience for fans since now instead of looking forward to an album "release date" we look forward to a "leak date." If she "leaked" some of the music on her own terms I think it would give her more control ultimately. Again she could promote the event and stream it through some kind of social network like Facebook or Youtube or something and set up some exclusive deal for access. (She might even be able to start "rehearsing" for a tour while she makes the album and the mini-show. Could be a more efficient way to plan it all?!)

In addition to this she can do all the usual TV and radio promotion to maintain the momentum. Hopefully another Letterman interview!! Throw in some random public appearances. (Fly to Australia for a week to do some promotion and to announce the tour there :) Did you see the MASSIVE response Ellen got here and she didn't even film any shows!!! ) Maybe do a bit of an autobiography/retrospective of some of her key work. A "Madonna in her own words" kind of thing to help her re-connect with people and remind them of her impact on pop culture. I know she doesn't like to "look back" on her work but she can relate it to things that are going on today.

Anyway I think I'm rambling so I will leave it there.

*Note when I say "app" I don't mean some artsy fartsy gaga shit either that is supposed to be some "experience." I mean simply an outlet where she can release exclusive content prior to the album.

Also when choosing singles I think they should pay more attention to how songs a "trending" on the internet. Again services like Spotify and last.fm allow you to see the most popular tracks by artists, by releasing these tracks I think there is a greater chance at having successful singles.

It's interesting you say this because as I recall, this is why Get Together and Jump were released as singles, because they were the most popular on iTunes. It's funny that as the technology has become more widespread and reliable, M and her team have abandoned it after using it *to great success (see MNation Top 40)* all those years ago.

The singles from Hard Candy went *obvious hit* - *stadium filler* - *stadium filler* and all three singles from MDNA were clearly chosen to be ideal to have a crowd chant along with you. Further indications of how her attentions have shifted. Yet as several members round here keep pointing out, if she doesn't get the singles and music out there, the audiences singing along with her will dwindle.

Invent an app that promotes some shit, counts all of the songs downloaded as album sales and just makes up your own sales numbers. Hang on where have I heard of this strategy before?

I reckon Madonna just needs a killer first single and film clip. I reckon the world is ready for a Madonna revival/ mania once again! It is just up to her to deliver the goods ( and pick singles correctly) and not shit like 4 minutes and GMAYL!

Invent an app that promotes some shit, counts all of the songs downloaded as album sales and just makes up your own sales numbers. Hang on where have I heard of this strategy before?

I reckon Madonna just needs a killer first single and film clip. I reckon the world is ready for a Madonna revival/ mania once again! It is just up to her to deliver the goods ( and pick singles correctly) and not shit like 4 minutes and GMAYL!

Not the kind of app I was referring to at all but whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

The singles from Hard Candy went *obvious hit* - *stadium filler* - *stadium filler* and all three singles from MDNA were clearly chosen to be ideal to have a crowd chant along with you. Further indications of how her attentions have shifted. Yet as several members round here keep pointing out, if she doesn't get the singles and music out there, the audiences singing along with her will dwindle.

Interesting observation.

my thoughts

R&B flavoured album with a tinge of electronic/dance flavour

tunes in the likes of vogue/HU/TAB quality

1st single must be properly promoted, promotion package giveways/indoor signing

radio airplay every hour (but with RADIO not supporting Madonna anymore, i wonder how it can be done now...) $$ i guess...

great song must be accompanied by a great innovative video.... think human nature or bedtime stories quality

album release party... think bedtime story pajama party...

appear at award shows and get some exposure...