Do you think she will perform this on tour again?

Crux

it never occured to me that she never performs old happy joyful songs! She revisits her hits and I think maybe Holiday is the one and only that is happy and joyful and is performed. Maybe because it's about making the world better. But songs like "True Blue" or "Cherish" are never performed!!!!

I think with her 80's stuff before LAP, I tend to like the big hit singles you mentioned but not so much the albums as a whole. I know TB was a single, but it wasn't really one of her all time big hits. I think starting with LAP, her albums became something you could listen to all the way through and love every song, whereas the 80's albums had more filler. I think a lot of 80's albums were like though. People were more focused on writing hit singles and the rest of the album was kind of an afterthought.

Oh, please, from Madonna to LAP, all albums have been glorious, and that's why they had like 5 singles each! LAV or TB haven't got more fillers than Erotica or BS, for example. Even LAP have "fillers" (I don't like that word, i think every song has a meaning and that's why it's on the album) like Spanish Eyes, for example.

And it's since the 2000 when most album were only singles and nothing else more. I think in the 80s and 90s albums were more a concept, that nowadays it's only the hits (see Rihanna's case)

TB the song was a hit at the time, but some reason it's not a song that I really remember like for example Papa Don't Preach or Open your Heart. It to me is missing that iconic quality.

Its not. The fact is that Madonna is making people forget True Blue (and WTG AND CAC) by never performing them.

Its not. The fact is that Madonna is making people forget True Blue (and WTG AND CAC) by never performing them.

Maybe it's the videos. TB video was cute but the other singles had better videos. WTG and CAC were sort of connected with the flop movie so that's makes them a little forgettable.

I remember ppl asking for TB and even Cherish during the request section of the S&S tour and she looked disgusted.

TB the song was a hit at the time, but some reason it's not a song that I really remember like for example Papa Don't Preach or Open your Heart. It to me is missing that iconic quality.

I agree with you here. The fact is that TB was a big hit and continues to get significant recurrent airplay in the U.S. despite it being omitted from M's compilations. However, it wasn't AS big as the other singles from the album. I think part of the reason it feels like an exception is because it's a throwback to a '60s girl group sound, not the current/hip sound that Madonna pioneered at the time. Honestly, anyone could have sung that song. "Cherish" is very similar in that way, although not as overtly.

I think they are all iconic. And TB even more so than OYH.

Once you start using words like "iconic" it gets even more subjective. Iconic songs are LAV, MG, Vogue, maybe LAP. There's nothing special about the song from a songwriting or cultural impact perspective. As I said above, it copies the '60s girl group sound extremely faithfully. It's not even a subversion of it. It's literally a straight homage. And the video isn't one of her more popular ones. More iconic than OYH? I think not. That video alone has images/costumes/poses that are infinitely more iconic to Madonna's career than TB.

Oh, please, from Madonna to LAP, all albums have been glorious, and that's why they had like 5 singles each! LAV or TB haven't got more fillers than Erotica or BS, for example. Even LAP have "fillers" (I don't like that word, i think every song has a meaning and that's why it's on the album) like Spanish Eyes, for example.

And it's since the 2000 when most album were only singles and nothing else more. I think in the 80s and 90s albums were more a concept, that nowadays it's only the hits (see Rihanna's case)

Every Madonna album has "filler" - songs that are clearly not hit singles and/or don't serve some significant creative purpose, but I think this became less frequent in the '90s and only returned more recently. Her first three albums definitely had some songs that were clearly just recorded to fill out the space around the obvious singles - the term "filler" actually comes from the very practice of record labels doing this. They would only release one or two singles from a pop album and "fill" the rest with cheaper (literally, cheaper to buy/produce) tracks. It was economical. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was one of the first examples where this started to change, and MJ allegedly set out to make an album where EVERY song could be a hit. The closest Madonna ever got to doing that was probably TB, but we all know about those last two tracks. ;) You could argue that they fit the tone of the album and therefore aren't "filler" but they clearly are less in quality than the other songs. Once you get to LAP, Erotica, etc., you'll find that fans start to agree less about what's the "filler."

I agree with you here. The fact is that TB was a big hit and continues to get significant recurrent airplay in the U.S. despite it being omitted from M's compilations. However, it wasn't AS big as the other singles from the album. I think part of the reason it feels like an exception is because it's a throwback to a '60s girl group sound, not the current/hip sound that Madonna pioneered at the time. Honestly, anyone could have sung that song. "Cherish" is very similar in that way, although not as overtly.

Yes, I couldn't quite put my finger on the reason why it didn't really stick with me, but you nailed it. It has a sound different from the rest of the album and there's nothing particularly "Madonna" about it and kind of unironic tribute to girl groups rather than being current and of the time period.