The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

HC is expected to be out of the Top 10 next Sunday. People are talking about #13 and that's worrying.

Yes it is. But TEAM MADONNA only have themselves to blame. Have any of them heard of

the word PROMOTION? She could end up touring a FLOP ALBUM.

And we know from the American Life how she can't be bothered once the album starts flopping

which is even more worrying.

Yes it is. But TEAM MADONNA only have themselves to blame. Have any of them heard of

And we know from the American Life how she can't be bothered once the album starts flopping

I still think they hvae something in their minds: maybe they know that after the initial promotion, the album always goes down, so maybe they are waiting for the second single to have a better promotion (that means: madonna moving her ass from show to show)

Good to see Usher at number 1!!

Ugh, that's true.

When do songs get added to the new BBC Radio 1 list? Is it Wednesdays? Maybe "Give It 2 Me" will be added tomorrow?

I still think they hvae something in their minds: maybe they know that after the initial promotion, the album always goes down, so maybe they are waiting for the second single to have a better promotion (that means: madonna moving her ass from show to show)

Good to see Usher at number 1!!

She would do better to take a few days off of the gym and do some promotion. I am tired of seeing her leave the gym everyday. I would like her to ACTUALLY promote her music for a change. Or can't she sing the new songs properly? We know what a MESS her vocals were at the Kent show.

Guest Danny86

:rolleyes: Madonna wouldn't have bothered either if HC was #1 for 5 weeks.

She's going to rehearse and then tour this album regardless how many copies it sells, so cut the drama.

Guest Hafo

HC is #11 on the midweeks.

Updated estimated sales of single:

5 5 Madonna 4 minutes 295720

In other news, Woolworths has just announced that it'll stop selling physical singles in August :(

:rolleyes: Madonna wouldn't have bothered either if HC was #1 for 5 weeks.

She's going to rehearse and then tour this album regardless how many copies it sells, so cut the drama.

There is no drama, I am just commenting on the fact that there has been hardly any promo for HC

so its really no surprise to see it drop down the charts. Whats wrong with wanting to see her promote her new music? It is her job afterall. As for her touring HC well thats fine but half the audience may not react to the songs since they haven't brought the album.

Singles

01 Rihanna 11.2k - 31 copies ahead

02 Ting Tings 11.2k

03 Will.I.Am 6.6k - 12 copies ahead

04 Duffy 6.6k

05 Madonna 6.5k

Albums

Usher 14.5k

Duffy 10.9k

Neil Diamond 9.8k

Pigeon Detectives 9.7k

Ting Tings 8.4k

^ and an album like HC relies from promotion a lot. It is pure commercial r'n'b/pop. It is an acceptable album, but not great. It is not going to sell by itself, that's for sure. Some albums dont need much promotion because of word of mouth, but this is not the case of HC. She needs to move her arse, but I think she just doesn't care. She wants money and can get that from tours now. Maybe this is a blow to Warner?

HC is #11 on the midweeks.

Updated estimated sales of single:

5 5 Madonna 4 minutes 295720

In other news, Woolworths has just announced that it'll stop selling physical singles in August :(

That means she sold about 22.5k of 4M last week so a very slow decline in sales.

Sad re Woolies. The CD single is going to become very hard to collect in the future.

Woolies abandons CD singles

09:38 | Tuesday May 27, 2008

By Ben Cardew

Source: MW

Woolworths is to stop selling CD singles from August, as it believes consumers now prefer single track downloads.

However, Woolworths says it will still sell “one off event singles like the X-Factor winner”.

The news comes as the company – historically the biggest retailer of physical singles in the UK – announced the launch of its download site, www.woolworthsdownload.com.

The new site is the first commercial application of EUK’s Digital Vault Platform and will sell music, video, games and mobile content.

The site is designed to appeal to people who aren’t experienced downloaders and customers that currently download but are looking for an easier solution.

The top ten music tracks will cost 59p for the first week the site is live (all other tracks from 77p), the top ten albums cost £6.99 for the same period (all other albums from £7.97), video prices start at 97p and mobile content from £1.50.

More than 1.2m tracks will be available at launch, in a mix of WMA and MP3 files.

The old Woolworths download site (www.woolworthsdownloads.co.uk) has now been switched off.

Woolworths commercial director Jim Batchelor says, “Digital downloading is now the true customer choice for listening and purchasing single music tracks. CDs are alive and well for album sales, but unfortunately the physical singles market is in terminal decline. Our customers are now starting to embrace the world of downloading which is why we feel the time is right to launch our new digital site.”

Woolies abandons CD singles

09:38 | Tuesday May 27, 2008

By Ben Cardew

Source: MW

Woolworths is to stop selling CD singles from August, as it believes consumers now prefer single track downloads.

However, Woolworths says it will still sell “one off event singles like the X-Factor winner”.

The news comes as the company – historically the biggest retailer of physical singles in the UK – announced the launch of its download site, www.woolworthsdownload.com.

The new site is the first commercial application of EUK’s Digital Vault Platform and will sell music, video, games and mobile content.

The site is designed to appeal to people who aren’t experienced downloaders and customers that currently download but are looking for an easier solution.

The top ten music tracks will cost 59p for the first week the site is live (all other tracks from 77p), the top ten albums cost £6.99 for the same period (all other albums from £7.97), video prices start at 97p and mobile content from £1.50.

More than 1.2m tracks will be available at launch, in a mix of WMA and MP3 files.

The old Woolworths download site (www.woolworthsdownloads.co.uk) has now been switched off.

Woolworths commercial director Jim Batchelor says, “Digital downloading is now the true customer choice for listening and purchasing single music tracks. CDs are alive and well for album sales, but unfortunately the physical singles market is in terminal decline. Our customers are now starting to embrace the world of downloading which is why we feel the time is right to launch our new digital site.”

stupid people :americanlife:

^ and an album like HC relies from promotion a lot. It is pure commercial r'n'b/pop. It is an acceptable album, but not great. It is not going to sell by itself, that's for sure. Some albums dont need much promotion because of word of mouth, but this is not the case of HC. She needs to move her arse, but I think she just doesn't care. She wants money and can get that from tours now. Maybe this is a blow to Warner?

:thumbsup: Thank you.

Guest Danny86
There is no drama, I am just commenting on the fact that there has been hardly any promo for HC

so its really no surprise to see it drop down the charts. Whats wrong with wanting to see her promote her new music? It is her job afterall. As for her touring HC well thats fine but half the audience may not react to the songs since they haven't brought the album.

I just don't understand these unrealistic expectations. Sure, Madonna could have made some appearance on US & UK tv on the album release week, but she chose to make her own shows, and she has every right to. Now it's the 5th week of the album, and people still want appearances from her. Even if she did, it would affect the chart for ONE week, then it would start falling, so fans would keep on asking for appearances for every week just to keep Hard Candy in the top 10. That's simply unrealistic. Not to mention "4 Minutes" is becoming one of her biggest hits, so I doubt Madonna or Warner is losing any sleep on HC being #11 this week, especially when the general public is more into singles...

And no, I don't believe it's her job to promote. Her job is to record and perform, it's up to her label how they want to promote their product. I also don't believe Madonna has any urge to promote the music to the tv audience, she obviously prefers her own shows, and she can only get that by organizing fan gigs and a big tour.

Oh and I think it's pretty obvious that Madonna is using the tour to make people hear her new songs, so she won't shed a tear if the stadium won't sing along "Heartbeat" or "Incredible"...

what is unrealistic is people thinking that HC was going to sell like COADF. It wont even sell half of it, and dont try to blame on the market is low and so on.... All artists suffer from it.

It is a bit shoking that the single could sell more than the album. I dont want Madonna to turn into a singles artist.

BUt true, Warner should also do something to promote the album. I havent seen any posters anywhere in London.

what is unrealistic is people thinking that HC was going to sell like COADF. It wont even sell half of it, and dont try to blame on the market is low and so on.... All artists suffer from it.

I thought HC was going to outsell COADF in the US, not aorund the world.And of course, the market is really low, look at the other big sellers of the year! is sad

Guest LikeAHugeMFan!

many of u people r crazy!! lol. COAD was released right at the PRIME time of holiday season 2.5 years ago, when the record biz was doing not a lot better but better. she also released one of the biggest worldwide singles of her career, if not the biggest in terms of #1s everywhere with that song. The sparks were flying everywhere during those 1st few months. she had every plus going for her just with the time of the year alone etc..4M was a ww hit for her. This is still one of her biggest WW singles. If it wasnt for the mega mega success of HU (a rare event), 4M would actually be her biggest ww hit in ump-teen years lol.

Edited by LikeAHugeMFan!

Guest LikeAHugeMFan!

and as for HC, im not surprised its not doing as stellar as COAD or as people had hoped. 4m is like what Bedtime Stories/Take a Bow was for her in the US. It was a massive #1, yet the song itself wasnt that great, universal nor prompted people enough to but the album. Most hardcore M fans didnt consider that, or 4m a bonafide "madonna" sounding song. Take A Bow and 4M are decent "singles", yet not hot enough to make people buy the entire album like Hung Up and Music at least did.

many of u people r crazy!! lol. COAD was released right at the PRIME time of holiday season 2.5 years ago, when the record biz was doing not a lot better but better. she also released one of the biggest worldwide singles of her career, if not the biggest in terms of #1s everywhere with that song. The sparks were flying everywhere during those 1st few months. she had every plus going for her just with the time of the year alone etc..4M was a ww hit for her. This is still one of her biggest WW singles. If it wasnt for the mega mega success of HU (a rare event), 4M would actually be her biggest ww hit in ump-teen years lol.

So one cant compare HC sales with COADF because they were released 2,5 yrs apart with the lower sales market for HC, but you compare 4m with previous M singles? The singles market has changed even more than the album market has. If Like a prayer, Vogue or Music were released now (even Hung Up), trust me, they will sell double the amount of what 4m is selling.

And we all know sales are down but that cant explain alone the difference in sales. If someone else released HC most of you will be saying it is a flop. I will be happy if it can be 2xplatinium

So 4Minutes should surpass 300,000 this week. :wow:

The only thing is it could affect the second single as it will still be fresh in everyone's mind.

Re HC - I take the point about zero promotion but then she never promoted Like A Virgin, True Blue, Like A Prayer etc and they still sold. Having another video out there and doing some TV advertising would help - there seems to be a TOTAL BAN on promotion though - they're not even pushing the tour. She obviously wants all the attention to be on her more important project - the documentary.

Oh and YAY at Woolies abandoning the CD single - POOR BRAVE SICK will suffer from this - her big comeback song couldn't even make the top 10 until physicals were released :lmao:

TAB rescued BS from possible oblivion in the USA- the album had dropped to No. 33 in its 5th week, despite "Secret" doing well on radio and such. Once TAB hit, it sent the album back to the top 20. If not for TAB, BS could have ended up significantly lower in USA sales than what it saw. So, it should be "Secret" that should be compared to 4M, if anything.

TAB rescued BS from possible oblivion in the USA- the album had dropped to No. 33 in its 5th week, despite "Secret" doing well on radio and such. Once TAB hit, it sent the album back to the top 20. If not for TAB, BS could have ended up significantly lower in USA sales than what it saw. So, it should be "Secret" that should be compared to 4M, if anything.
I think they might have been thinking more about how TAB did worldwide. M/Warner have always had this reluctance to release different singles to different regions - I can only remember Oh Father/Dear Jessie, and DW/SFL to fill out the gap between ROL and TPOG goodbye.

HC down to #13 in midweeks. Meh. Meh I say. Meh.

4M holds at #4.

4M holds at 5 not 4 x

01 Rihanna

02 Ting Tings

03 Duffy

04 Will.I.Am

05 Madonna