Rank Madonna movies

Roland Barthes

I didn't take into account cameos and movies where she's less than a secondary character (Bloodhounds of Broadway/Four Rooms).

What's your ranking ?

1. Desperately Seeking Susan

She's just not only good in it but the movie itself is a classic.
On top of it all it was directed by a woman, written by a woman, produced by two women and the two leads are women.
2. Truth or dare in bed with Madonna
The reason why i did not put it at #1 it's because she's not acting in it. Cult classic.
3. Who's that girl ?
She's good in it in retrospect. She's playful, she's witty and her lines are not delivered flatly.
The editing is bad, the screenplay is poor, too much screen time given to secondary characters we don't care about (the Worthingtons, Wendy and the wedding). I love her clothes, very American Apparel especially the polka dots legging with the tutu and black vinyl bodice.
4. A league of their own
This one i a cult classic in the US but not around the world (the Janet Jackson of movies ^^) it's a good one though and she's pretty in it as a brunette.
5. Dick Tracy
An action movie without action. It's pretty beautiful though. She's good in it but does not have much to play anyway.
She lights up the screen and the songs are nice.
6. Evita
Madonna is very good in it but the movie is boring especially if like me you don't like musicals, Llyod Webber & Rice and dictators.
7. Snake Eyes
Super boring and dragging for too long but she's very very good in it.
8. Shangaï Surprise
Nice to see her being so pretty but the movie goes nowhere.
9. Body of evidence
I don't like it. I don't like her in it, the movie looks made for tv. It damaged her more than SEX.
10. Swept away
She looks awful in it. Boring movie too
11. The next best thing
Shoud have gone on tour instead. She looks awful in it and the movie is borderline homophobic.
Save the scene with her tits in the mirror.

Guest Pud Whacker

01. DSS - 10

02. Shanghai - 9

03. WTG - 9

04. blooodhounds - 8

05. dick tracy - 9

06. league - 10

07. BOE - 8

08. dangerous game - 9

09. evita - 10

10. Next Best Thing - 7

11. Swept Away - 8

1. Desperately Seeking Susan - excellent hilarious film

2. Evita - so much fun to sing to.

3. A Legue of Their Own - funny and cute

4. Who's That Girl - funny and cute

5. Dick Tracy - good cinematography

6. Blue In the Face (counted it because I love her cameo, it's got Lou and it's a good film)

7. Bloodhounds of Broadway - eh! I like her dance.

8. Shanghai Surprise - look away now

9. Dangerous Game - eh!

10. Swept Away - boring

11. Body of Evidence - epic bad acting

12. Next Best Thing - epic bad acting, horrible script

1. Evita

2. DSS

3. ALOTO

4. Dick Tracy

5. WTG

I actually find those five performances to be genuinely good, and I also like the first four movies as a whole.

I think Madonna was good in Dangerous Game and Swept Away although the films are flawed.

A League of Their Own

I don't consider it a "cult classic" either. To me that term is used for films that bombed, but then found a devoted following after the fact. A League of Their own was huge from the start.

Evita comes in second. Not something I watch over and over, but it has some great songs and Madonna WAS robbed of at least an Academy Award nomination. If they can give Sandra Bullock a best actress Oscar for a wannabe Lifetime movie they sure as hell could have given Madonna a nod.

Honestly when it comes to her films those are the only 2 that really made any kind of mark on me.

I am cheating and not counting Truth or Dare since its a documentary and consider it in a league of its own. PUN!

1. Evita

2. Desperately Seeking Susan

3. A League of Their Own

4. Dick Tracy

5. Who's That Girl

6. Body of Evidence

7. Swept Away

8. Next Best Thing

9. Shanghai

10. Dangerous Game

And truth or dare is #1 on an acting/not acting Madonna role. I know many consider it a movie, many a documentary, a rockumentary but I just don't put it together with M in "movie" movies lol whatever that means..

Absolute classics. Love them.

1. Dangerous Game

2. Evita

3. Desperately Seeking Susan

Good Movies That M is good in

4. A League of Their Own

5. Dick Tracy

Pieces of shit. Only to be seen as So-Bad-They're-Good

6. Body of Evidence

7. Who's That Girl

8. Swept Away

9. Shanghai Surprise

10. The Next Best Thing

Also, shout out to Shadows and Fog. Certainly not a "Madonna movie," but it's beautifully shot, and full of great actors and ideas.

Excluding documentaries

Susan

Who's That Girl

League of Their Own (it's an American Classic, not a cult classic)

Body of Evidence

Swept Away

Dangerous Game

Dick Tracy

Evita

Next Worst Thing

Shranghi NoSurpise

A League of Their Own

I don't consider it a "cult classic" either. To me that term is used for films that bombed, but then found a devoted following after the fact. A League of Their own was huge from the start.

Evita comes in second. Not something I watch over and over, but it has some great songs and Madonna WAS robbed of at least an Academy Award nomination. If they can give Sandra Bullock a best actress Oscar for a wannabe Lifetime movie they sure as hell could have given Madonna a nod.

Honestly when it comes to her films those are the only 2 that really made any kind of mark on me.

I am cheating and not counting Truth or Dare since its a documentary and consider it in a league of its own. PUN!

But

What about the rest??

1) Dangerous Game/Snake Eyes

2) Desperatedly Seeking Susan

3) Evita

4) Dick Tracey

5) Who's That Girl?

6) Body Of Evidence

7) A League Of Their Own

8) The Next Best Thing

9) Swept Away

10) Shanghai Surprise

1. A League of Their Own

2. Evita (I really wanted to put this as my #1, but overall I like ALOTO as a movie)

4. Who's That Girl

5. Dick Tracy (Like Taranto said, Madonna was the only one who knew what she was doing in this film)

the rest I won't bother in rating

tho I haven't seen Dangerous Game and I know she's gotten good reviews in that one!

Absolute classics. Love them.

1. Dangerous Game

2. Evita

Good Movies That M is good in

4. A League of Their Own

5. Dick Tracy

Pieces of shit. Only to be seen as So-Bad-They're-Good

6. Body of Evidence

7. Who's That Girl

8. Swept Away

9. Shanghai Surprise

10. The Next Best Thing

Also, shout out to Shadows and Fog. Certainly not a "Madonna movie," but it's beautifully shot, and full of great actors and ideas.

I basically agree with this, although "good" in Evita and League of their Own for M is strictly by her own standard which is pretty much anytime she comes off as a plausible human being, not necessarily what would pass for a regular actress. .

For me she's been good in the following

1. Evita.

2. A League Of Their Own.

3. Dick Tracy.

4. Desperately Seeking Susan.

I do think she should've been nominated for an Oscar for Evita, and I always thought she was much better in supporting roles rather than leading ones. I think with the right part and director, she could've one an Oscar as best supporting actress.

01. Desperately Seeking Susan - 10
02. A League Of Their Own - 7
03. Shanghai Surprise - 5
04. Evita - 5
05. Dick Tracy - 5
06. Blooodhounds Of Broadway- 4
07. Body Of Evidence - 3
08. Swept Away - 2
09. Dangerous Game - 2
10. Who`s That Girl - 1
11. The Next Best Thing - 0

THE GOOD

1. Truth or Dare

2. Desperately Seeking Susan

3. A League of Their Own

THE SO-SO

4. Blue in the Face

5. Evita

6. Dangerous Game

7. Girl 6

8. Dick Tracy

9. I'm Going to Tell You a Secret

THE BAD

10. Arthur and the Invisibles

11. Who's That Girl

12. Shadows and Fog

13. The Next Best Thing

14. Four Rooms

THE UGLY

15. Body of Evidence

16. Shanghai Surprise

17. Swept Away

For me she's been good in the following

1. Evita.

2. A League Of Their Own.

3. Dick Tracy.

4. Desperately Seeking Susan.

I do think she should've been nominated for an Oscar for Evita, and I always thought she was much better in supporting roles rather than leading ones. I think with the right part and director, she could've one an Oscar as best supporting actress.

Madonna did say after Dick Tracy and Dangerous Game that they were the best film experiences/performances she had been involved with to that point, and with Evita being such a personal and professional zenith I think she basically gave up on well crafted, artistically risky, credible projects after that and went along with movies to please the people involved or to push a hamfisted, over the top message about parenthood in the case of The Next Best Thing.