Madonna Gay Icon

Because nowadays the title is easily attributed to singers just because they are singers and wear nice clothes it's important to remember that a real gay icon is somebody who stood up for what she believed in when it was not popular, somebody who was an allie when there weren't that many. This short but brilliant speech she made when honoured by Amfar on september 7th 1990 in Los Angeles sums up perfectly why Madonna is a TRUE gay icon :

Like_A_Fanzine_2_Page_13_preview_500.jpg

Because nowadays the title is easily attributed to singers just because they are singers and wear nice clothes it's important to remember that a real gay icon is somebody who stood up for what she believed in when it was not popular, somebody who was an allie when there weren't that many. This short but brilliant speech she made when honoured by Amfar on september 7th 1990 in Los Angeles sums up perfectly why Madonna is a TRUE gay icon :

Like_A_Fanzine_2_Page_13_preview_500.jpg

The REAL deal.

She's a unique gay icon, because she's not like any fag hag, who are mostly grotesque. As much as she is entertaining the guys she is also almost one of the guys, physically and mentally. Its almost like she did the impossible and made [a lot of] gay men fall in love with her.

I have never seen anyone like that, irl or celebrity. It takes a genius to figure her out! And I really love her for that!

I have always said that Madonna is the embodiment of (or what would be) an unapologetic openly gay superstar...since we don't really have any, on her level, that has accomplished what she has and affected the zeitgeist in the very way she has. I'm not saying that to diminish her femininity or the fact that she has accomplished all this as a woman...but unlike the rest of the "gay icons" that are pretty much centered around flashy theatrics, over-the-top attitudes, and catchy dance numbers deliberately pandered to the pink dollar...it is the particular way in which Madonna has done it that is a deeper reflection of queer culture's real roots - the old-school, in-your-face spirit of queer liberation of the old days (of which sadly so many LGBT people themselves have forgotten). As much as feminism and humanism, this seeps through everything she does. It's just naturally ingrained in the obvious and subtle ways in which she challenges the status quo of society - patriarchy, sexism, ageism, homophobia... With all that said, she really is more than just a "gay icon"...she embodies what would be, or what I would imagine, an unapologetic, take no shit, play by their own rules openly gay star would be if we actually had such. And considering the politics of the industry, among other things, we don't. Perhaps it's my own fantasy, but I truly believe she is the literal embodiment of that, and the closest thing we'll probably ever get.

Baddest bitch in the game. Period.

I have always said that Madonna is literally the embodiment of (what would be) an unapologetic gay popstar...since we don't really have any out Queer superstar, on her level, that has accomplished what she has and affected the zeitgeist in the very way she has. I'm not saying that to diminish her femininity or the fact that she has accomplished all this as a woman...but the way in which she has done it is quite a reflection of Queer culture, and the old-school, in-your-face Queer liberation of the old days. As much as feminism, this seeps through everything she does. I suppose that's because she challenges the status quo of society - patriarchy, heterosexism, sexism, etc... With all that said, she really is more than just a "gay icon"....she embodies what would be, or what I would imagine, an unapologetic, take no shit, play by their own rules openly gay male superstar would be if we actually had such. And considering the politics of the industry, among other things, we don't. But she is the literal embodiment of that, and the closest thing we're probably ever get.

Baddest bitch in the game. Period.

:clap: :Clap: :clap: :Clap: