Madonna, New York and London

XXL

I think Madonna's heart will always be in New York, even though she also loves London

I think so too

Although when talking about I Love New York she said that by "NY" she means more of a state of mind than an actual place. I feel she's at home wherever she feels there's a scene going on and more work/being inspired to look forward to. Obviously the city itself will forever hold a special place in her heart, having spent on and off practically her entire youth in it and being the thriving center that gave her the big break

Thanks to everyone who posted their personal recollections of living in those cities, truly fascinating. Ironically, she still does have a place in both cities. I've always been curious to hear her elaborate on LA more, are there any interviews about it? As for other great cities around the world, I don't know why but I really can't imagine her living in Rome, Paris, Berlin, Madrid etc

Debbie Harry said the exact same thing about England (what it was like back then), in the 70s/80s it was grim times, despite the excitement of the music then. London, however,specifically was always a different kettle of fish obviously.

I think both cities have changed dramatically. Both scenes were really vibrant in the early eighties. It was a different time before mass marketing really kicked in in the late eighties. 85 was like the last year before the music scene started to get slicker.

In the UK, you see the New Romantic scene flourishing in response to the grim reality that was seventies Britain (strikes, powercuts etc) that led to a big recession and mass unemployment in the early eighties. Bands like Duran Duran, Soft Cell, Wham!, Bananarama were all just young kids experimenting with music. They were raw and built a following over time. It was such an exciting time to be part of. London was a place where you could live cheaply but that's all but disappearing now.

Now the music scene is so manufactured with artists hot-housed from the first sign of talent and rather than try and make their way, artists just try and get on a talent show. The art world is all about having the right PR agent. Together big business has killed the organic process of people discovering artists by word of mouth.

Both New York and London have benefitted from gentrification and are much nicer, safer places to live but with the improvement, you lose the struggling artists and all the shady people that are part of that world.

However, some other place will emerge as a creative force. I think Barcelona and Berlin are also too gentrified now. It will be some random city where a group of people come together. Who knows!

But yes, the London and New York of that period are gone for now.

Thank you!

So fascinating