Michael van der Ham Sews for Madonna, Launches New Website

MerGirl

Michael van der Ham has a lot to be excited about. First up, he has just released his first short film, directed by Amanda Charchian. (Style.com secured an exclusive sneak peek here.) In the haunting film, key looks are worn by very blond models who rock an eerie, alien vibe—it is an effect made even more otherworldly given the backdrop of fast-moving skies and rugged mountains. Then, at about the same time Van der Ham was putting the finishing touches on his brand-new website launching today, Madonna walked into Dover Street Market and snapped up a killer dress from his AW 2014 show. Of course, business being as brisk as it is in his world, that dress was sold out in her size (U.K. 6, by the way) and he was, as he tells it, “up until 7 a.m. sewing for her—and it was my privilege to do so.”

It is the healthy sales that encouraged Van der Ham to open his own e-shop. “We always do really well online—Net-a-Porter sells out very quickly—and I thought it would be interesting to open up my own online presence where I can have a broader edit and, critically, get to know my customer better,” he explains. “Right now, since the drop is made in stores and online, I actually don’t know where my fans are. Now I can be tuned in to them more and deliver a more tailored customer service.” The designer also let us in on a couple of secrets for his upcoming LFW show. “It’s my first time I am designing shoes—that is very exciting—and we are also upgrading and going into a lot more depth with the lace and embroidered looks.” We are guessing, then, that Madonna will be paying close attention.