So how come Warner isn't pulling out anything from the vaults?

Apples388

Don't agree with this at all. Madonna has been a superstar for 3 decades. She is hugely popular and respected just about everywhere internationally and who cares what the tabloid press think of her. I also don't think she is thought of as a singles artist. It is simply that her singles have been so successful and so many of them have been hits, that they are remembered and loved greatly. Every album she has released has fantastic songs that have not been released as singles.

:thumbsup:

Guest bluejean

So SHOULD Fleetwood Mac, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Cocteau Twins and loads of other older artists be irrelevant to me? Because I started listening to these bands in my late teens / early 20s which was mid to late 2000s.

It's not about how old one is, it's generally about ones taste in music.

They were speaking generally. I'm sure a lot of kids like some Madonna songs the same way I liked blondie or Bowie in the early 00's. But she's not a current artist. It's nice to think she is but I'm sorry, she's not.

I don't think Warner does that many remasters or expanded editions with any other of the artists in their catalogue. No Prince album has been remastered nor did a special anniversary edition same with REM apart from 2 or 3 albums.

They were speaking generally. I'm sure a lot of kids like some Madonna songs the same way I liked blondie or Bowie in the early 00's. But she's not a current artist. It's nice to think she is but I'm sorry, she's not.

Wrong analogy

Completely off the mark

Don't agree with this at all. Madonna has been a superstar for 3 decades. She is hugely popular and respected just about everywhere internationally and who cares what the tabloid press think of her. I also don't think she is thought of as a singles artist. It is simply that her singles have been so successful and so many of them have been hits, that they are remembered and loved greatly. Every album she has released has fantastic songs that have not been released as singles.

:thumbsup:

She's the most successful artist in the UK. Who cares about the press anyway

Her fan base here can never be matched by any other artist. Ms not fretting about the Daily Mail :lmao:

:rotfl::clap:

I've been to MDNA and Sticky gigs in 6 different countries and in every single one of them all I could see was the most heterogeneous concert crowd ever. Loads of people not only in their early 20s but in their teens as well. And that includes Hyde Park in 2012. If youngsters in the 15-25 bracket don't care for Madonna or "casually know who she is" it really doesn't explain her concert demographics or the fact that the stupidest thing she does, such as walking in an out of airports, going for a bike ride, going to the K center or posting on Instagram becomes the focus of worldwide headlines, let alone when she's attending an event or releasing work

The perception of SOME (and I repeat some) Madonna fans is really faulted at times as to the kind of leverage and music appeal worldwide, not mere status, Madonna does still enjoy at her age. These are the same characters that will debate that "lately even local act Kylie managed to do better than Madonna on the UK charts". No she did not. Unless in your fantasies of course. Not with this record nor with any other one of them.

It's the same when Mariah fans say that Mariah was more successful than Madonna on US charts :rotfl:

No she was never. Maybe the act with the most manipulative promotional approach (favoured by an odd radio/Billboard reporting system there and corporate games). As soon as you step out of US territory u see how inconsistent people like Mariah and Janet have been with their chart success in Europe (even in the anglophone UK) and in Asia. And speaking in industry terms, Madonna has a 10 and 12 years respectively "disadvantage" on them

That said I would enjoy Madonna's music and see her for the real artist that she is whether she sold a zillion copies or 2. But people saying that she needs to promote more or that lately she's been loosing steam in the UK or propose one of those weak arguments about NTP need to look at the broader picture and get the facts right first.

If an act in their 10th year in the business manages to score the 12th best-selling album of the year it's amazing in ANY book, let alone when an act has been out and about for 30. And achieved this result with scant promotion too.

Guest Rachelle of London

I'm amongst the 15-25 age bracket most of my friends that are fans are under 25. There is a market for Madonna re releases. I can't wait for her new album when she shuts up the haters.

I'm amongst the 15-25 age bracket most of my friends that are fans are under 25. There is a market for Madonna re releases. I can't wait for her new album when she shuts up the haters.

:clap:

giphy.gif

Preach. I'm in the same bracket and I know a lot of people who appreciate her 80s output, admire the 90s stuff, enjoy the 00s and still think of her as a current artist, are excited for new music. I also find a lot of people, mock her though they may, admit to enjoying some tracks and express the willingness to be open to new music.

It sounds odd but I don't think MDNA depreciated her stock that much mainly because people just don't know it came out.

Guest Madomination

I don't get this about Madonna being a singles artist early on when you considered her first four studio albums:

Madonna _ only I Know It and Think of Me were not released and even then were used as B-sides.

Like A Virgin _ only 3 songs: Stay, Pretender, Shoo-Bee-Doo were not singles and even though they were B-sides.

True Blue _ Four songs were not released, Where's The Party was later remixed . White Heat and Jimmy Jimmy became B-sides. Only Love Makes the World Go Round remain available only on the album.

Lika A Prayer _ Of the 11 tracks, six were released as singles with Spanish Eyes as a promo in Spain.

It is only from I'm Breathless on that her album tracks outnumber the tracks that become singles.

Guest Rachelle of London

Preach. I'm in the same bracket and I know a lot of people who appreciate her 80s output, admire the 90s stuff, enjoy the 00s and still think of her as a current artist, are excited for new music. I also find a lot of people, mock her though they may, admit to enjoying some tracks and express the willingness to be open to new music.

It sounds odd but I don't think MDNA depreciated her stock that much mainly because people just don't know it came out.

Thank you!!! I know actual fans that didn't know it came out!

Also have you noticed that the people that complain about the most are older ones anyway.

Thank you!!! I know actual fans that didn't know it came out!

Also have you noticed that the people that complain about the most are older ones anyway.

yes! older people, fans or otherwise seem to be the ones who have issues with her "ruining her legacy", younger are all for her making or breaking it on the next record. They give her a much more clean slate which, to me, is more than enough of an indicator that she is viewed as a current act rather than a legacy.

Yes! older people, fans or otherwise seem to be the ones who have issues with her "ruining her legacy", younger are all for her making or breaking it on the next record. They give her a much more clean slate which, to me, is more than enough of an indicator that she is viewed as a current act rather than a legacy.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: