EROTICA / SEX: The Official 20th Anniversary Celebration Thread.

Mattress

More trivial mentions and references from the year end issue of NME. Sadiators is a parody of then popular and new Gladiators of course.. that year was seen as US culture taking over with things like Wayne's World according to elsewhere in the issue.

sadiators_zps5837f5fc.jpg

sadiatiorsdialogue_zps7ec564ec.jpg

yestarfaves_zps2339ea3d.jpg

yearinquotes_zps0b67482d.jpg

eroticyeref_zps6e238e1a.jpg

561721_433655033348539_12044782_n.jpg

Another reason to love Erotica is it was the origin or first use of THAT much loved hairstyle (sort of) that resurfaced for the 95 VMAs with Courtney and now MDNA... it looked amazing on the cover of Sex and whenever she sported it. :yes: Not quite identical of course but essentially very similar haircuts. Maybe that's why the MDNA one was so loved, a throwback and unconscious reminder of Sex/Erotica. :dramatic:

Love all of these, loomita! Thanks for the articles and blurbs. :D

Downloading the radio interview now.

Fabulous!

Just a couple of notes, the interview seems to have a little missing (but not much I'd wager since it was relatively long and not the usual 10 minutes stretched over an hour interspersed with obvious overplayed hits). There were some quote soundbite snippets at the start which I edited out, but I noticed two bits weren't in the actual interview so I restored them.

"Get Down Shep" refers to the catchphrase of iconic children's TV show Blue Peter and its presenter John Noakes and the dog, Shep, that used to jump up on him.. way before my time of course but I've heard of it, Bonnie was the Blue Peter dog I grew up with. :queenbitch:

Notice how in that NME interview she's asked about Kylie. The British press were obsessed with comparing the two back then, or rather Kylie to Madonna, so not a surprise. I remember this and tried to find the magazine for years, no wonder I missed it since it was the part 2 issue. I first thought The Face 1994 or something, then maybe even Vanity Fair? So I can't believe I found it all this time later. :lol: Notice her cool response, she barely acknowledges her at all. :queenbitch: But that's the earliest instance of it from Madge.

This NME interview is a great one, it's extensively quoted by Encyclopedia Madonnica.

Let's show some love for Erotica's second single "DEEPER AND DEEPER".

Madonna_-_Deeper_And_Deeper_5439-18639-4

This time 20 years ago "Deeper And Deeper" began its ascent on charts around the world, debuting on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart dated November 14, 1992. The commercial single was released December 7 in the US and the single version was remixed and edited by producer Shep Pettibone (later included on GHV2).

On January 30, 1993 "Deeper And Deeper" peaked at #7 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, logging three weeks in the top 10.
115200288.jpg
115200288-2.jpg

I know this isn't exactly "Erotica" album....but it's just too damn good

It is! I've been threatening to watch The Girlie Show (for the billionth time) but decided to abstain until the bluray comes out in January.

I never noticed she had no eyebrows :rotfl: at least till it was pointed out, but D&aD wasn't her most flattering look in parts and that was when the proto hag criticism started. Oh Mattress that is just awesome :inlove: that storyboard! :dramatic: Very Take on Me.

And it annoyed the fuck out of me that D&D always got cut off at the pillow fight scene :voodoo: I'd have to wait nigh on 20 years 2 c it in full. It's a strange almost random video - didn't someone here write an essay explaining it all? :lmao: - even the fawning opinionless Encyclopedia Madonnica criticises it. I like it though. It was directed by an unknown who since the anniversary I found was someone part of Maverick - Bobby Woods? I always read it as Bobby Brown on MTV's credits on US Top 20. :rotfl: