Madonna & Business

XXL

A veteran music journalist who is an acquaintance of mine, interviewed her several times over the years and he told me one time it was at her NY apt. and one of her bodyguard told him she could hear a penny fall on the floor from the other side of her apt.

:rotfl:

AWESOME THREAD!!!!!

MORE MORE MORE!!!!!

These are fascinating to read

:D

Madonna outplayed by Edgar Bronfman Jr. in Maverick Records deal

giphy.gif

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/madonna-outplayed-edgar-bronfman-jr-maverick-records-deal-book-article-1.179382

The theme of Madonna's life story is that she gets her way - in love, life and business. But that was until she came up against Seagram's liquor fortune heir Edgar Bronfman Jr.
In "Fortune's Fool: Edgar Bronfman Jr., Warner Music, and An Industry of Crisis," which Simon & Schuster will begin shipping to bookstores at the end of this month, investigative journalist Fred Goodman writes that Bronfman outplayed Her Madgesty after the pop star attempted to pressure him into paying a king's ransom for her stake in Maverick Records.
Madonna had founded Maverick at the height of her success in the '90s-to which she signed such hit artists as Alanis Morissette and Prodigy-but the label had seen better days by 2003, when the Material Girl began negotiating with Time Warner, which owned 40% of Maverick, to buy out her share. Madonna wanted $60 million, "at least twice what Time Warner said it was worth," Goodman writes. But that same week, Time Warner's board was meeting to decide whether to sell Warner Music, so, the author adds: "Placating Madonna was going to be someone else's headache."
Enter Bronfman, who, in March 2004, just three weeks after he closed the deal to buy Warner Music, got a call from Madonna's longtime attorney Allen Grubman, who told Warner Music's new owner he had 24 hours to solve the problem or Madonna was going to sue. "Allen, this is nuts," Bronfman said. "Give us some time."
Edgar_Bronfman_msnbc.jpg
"No, she's implacable," Grubman responded. Madonna's price tag had risen, too - from $60 million to $200 million. Bronfman was willing to pay only $15 million, however, and had the company's lawyers file a preemptive suit against the artist.
An angry Madonna accused Warner of "treason" and filed her own lawsuit. But, in the end, the author reports, she "sold her 30% interest in Maverick to Bronfman for $17 million - only $2 million more than he had offered in the first place and a figure that almost certainly could have been reached without any public posturing."
Three months later, Bronfman and Warner Music Group Chairman Lyor Cohen sought to mend fences with the artist by inviting her to meet with them. Bronfman greeted Madonna with a gift-wrapped box. "You've been incredibly important to this company for 20 years," Bronfman told her. Inside the box was a diamond bracelet.
"The gift," Goodman writes, "seemed to hit the right note. ‘She was like a little girl,' :rotfl: " Bronfman recalled. "'It broke the ice.'" Perhaps, :chuckle:but in 2007, Madonna announced she was leaving Warner to sign with concert promoter Live Nation in a 10-year, $120-million deal :rotfl:
Madonna's spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg declined to comment on this story, telling Gatecrasher, "I was not privy to the details of any of these negotiations."
Oh Liz :rotfl:

The thing is people use this acumen against her artistry - claiming this is what makes her a machine rather than an artist, but I think it's just another example of her simply being on the ball.

Everyone detests the idea of someone ruthlessly making money of us, or ripping us off, and she is no different. as she says it would be very easy for her money to just disappear and her be helpless in getting it back or tracking where it goes - unless she is like this. People will call her cheap and thrifty, but i think its just a normal instinct to want to feel like your money isnt getting sucked into an endless vacuum. She went through times of severe hardship where she didnt have money - it will be built into her very being to hold onto what shes got and be careful with it!

:thumbsup:

Isn't that Bronfman guy the father of M.I.A.'s ex?

Yes he is and M.I.A.'s son is to inherit $5bn

That's why M.I.A. needs $16m from Madonna for that NFL fine :lmao:

miatweet.jpg

her divorce settlement with guy always baffled me as tight as she is with her money

If you read her love letters to Andy Bird and other past bfs, she's a hopeless romantic. Being in love is her weakness, which is why she doesn't make the best decisions sometimes. She got screwed over with Guy because she really believed in him and that it would last forever.

This is a really great thread, XXL pls post more!!!

I think the fact that she is now the highest earning celebrity is testament to her business-savvyness.

Yes, she does put out immensly good music which has been of consistently better quality and popularity than her peers - but personally being a fan of Madonna I like to see her as a "package deal" - the cultural pot-stirrer, record producer, the businesswoman etc. A lot of my respect for her stems from these aspects of her career.

She would most definitely not be this succesful had she not been all these things combined if that makes any sense?

Anyone else agree/disagree?

I think the fact that she is now the highest earning celebrity is testament to her business-savvyness.

Yes, she does put out immensly good music which has been of consistently better quality and popularity than her peers - but personally being a fan of Madonna I like to see her as a "package deal" - the cultural pot-stirrer, record producer, the businesswoman etc. A lot of my respect for her stems from these aspects of her career.

She would most definitely not be this succesful had she not been all these things combined if that makes any sense?

:thumbsup:

This is a really great thread, XXL pls post more!!!

:D Glad you like it

MADONNA SUES FIRM OVER '92 TAX ADVICE
ap051005010445.jpg?w=550
The Material Girl is singing the blues over her tax bill. Madonna slapped her former financial advisers with a $2.5 million lawsuit yesterday, claiming a goof caused her to pay state income taxes in California and in New York. Her suit, filed in Manhattan's state Supreme Court, charges Padell, Nadell, Fine, Weinberger & Co. with breach of contract and fiduciary duties, and malpractice. The pop diva's spokeswoman said the legal tiff results from a 1992 tax filing. "They call her the Material Girl, but the fact is there's very little accurate information out there about her finances," said the spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg. "She feels it's none of anybody's business.
" Court papers contend the singer lost "not less than $2 million incurred in connection with business management, accounting and other services provided" by the financial firm from Jan. 1, 1992 through July 1, 1996. Madonna fired the firm in 1996. Bert Padell, the company's senior partner, said the lawsuit was triggered after Madonna had to pay $2 million in New York State income taxes after he prepared a 1992 tax filing saying she was a California resident. "The state came in and said she was a New York State resident because she lived here more than 183 days" in that tax year, making her subject to New York income taxes, Padell said. He said Madonna may be upset with him, but he thinks "she's a good person. I have no malice toward her."

MODE-Daniel-Azure-and-Bert-Padell-013120

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/20/magazine/food-the-fabulous-baker-boy.html 2002

While stirring the pound of chunked chocolate into the pound of butter melting over the heat of his electric stove, Bert tells me about Madonna's lawsuit against him in '99: ''The BBC kept trying to get me to say something bad about her, but I wouldn't.'' He nudges the chocolate gently with a spoon. ''Go slow now, don't burn it.'' He wheels around and pours sugar into a stainless-steel bowl filled with eggs. ''But I got nothing against the woman,' I told them. 'Most people would say something bad about her,' this interviewer kept prodding me, and I said to him, 'Well, I'm not most people.'''

To say the least. Bert Padell, midnight baker, poet, former Yankee batboy, friend of DiMaggio and Mantle, Joe Cocker and Montgomery Clift, business manager and lawyer to eminent enterprises as varied as Britney Spears, Jackie Mason, John Berendt, Mikhail Baryshnikov, the rapper Rakim and the restaurants of Robert De Niro (but not De Niro himself), is as New York a New Yorker as New York has ever Yorked. Sometimes as soft-spoken as a courtier, he is usually a walking exclamation point, either surprised or outraged. He has a lunch date, and I walk him to the street. ''Bert, I have two questions. First, what happened with Madonna?''
''She sued me for $2.5 million because New York State said she'd been living here for 183 days and I had her in California.'' He won't tell me the figures, but they settled. He smiles confidentially. ''But it wasn't very smart of her people to do. What's the other question?''

Anyone else agree/disagree?

I absolutely agree with every word of this. Even back in the early days, I was a proud fan of hers not just for the music and entertainment output but for her savvy smarts with business, current topics, her sharp eye and ear - everything. She is one of the only ones to have everything in spades across the board. It's why so many try but none can achieve the same thing. It's so rare.

• 3 weeks later...