Madonna, Davies up for Songwriters Hall of Fame- UPDATE- M Not Inducted This Year

lasky

NEW YORK October 9, 2013 (AP)
By MESFIN FEKADU AP Music Writer
AP_logo_update_20130709.gif

Madonna, John Mellencamp and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are among the nominees for the 2014 Songwriters Hall of Fame.

They are joined by a number of top acts, including Ray Davies, Cyndi Lauper and Linda Perry.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame gave The Associated Press a list of nominees in advance of the official announcement, set for Thursday. The gala will be held June 12 at the New York Marriott Marquis.

Also nominated are Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson, Vince Gill, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, Donovan, Cat Stevens and Harry Wayne Casey.

Nonperforming songwriter nominees include "Midnight Train to Georgia" writer Jim Weatherly, Motown songwriter William "Mickey" Stevenson and country music songwriters Bobby Braddock and Bill Anderson.

Mark James, the writer behind "Always on My Mind" — covered by Elvis Presley and Willie Nelson — is also nominated alongside Don Robertson, Graham Gouldman and Tony Macaulay. Writing duos Hugo & Luigi, Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell, and Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham will also compete.

Eligible voters can select two nominees from the list of songwriter-performers and three nonperforming songwriters. Voting ends Dec. 16.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/madonna-davies-songwriters-hall-fame-20515653

Finally, a list not to be embarrassed by. All those song writers deserve an award ( except who the fuck is Harry Wayne Casey? ) maybe this might remind Madonna to drop the the line tick tock, and remember classics like: don't go for second best baby!

It's a rare and elusive hall of fame. Dolly Parton and Carol King are two of the few female songwriters that have been inducted.

2 very deserving inductees!

2 very deserving inductees!

Agreed. Dolly and Carol compose their own music. As far as I am aware, Madonna writes her lyrics, but isn't always the composer, or sole composer of her music. I guess it doesn't matter, however you contribute to the creative process, lyrics or composition, you are credited as a writer. Apparently the Songwriters Hall of Fame has the same stipulations. It would be one the highest honors and achievements for her already enormously successful and praised music career,

I'm really glad she got nominated, it's a big honor. But there's no way she's gonna be selected, not with the others nominees. It's ok, a nomination alone is already amazing.

Finally, a list not to be embarrassed by. All those song writers deserve an award ( except who the fuck is Harry Wayne Casey? ) maybe this might remind Madonna to drop the the line tick tock, and remember classics like: don't go for second best baby!

Harry Wayne Casey is the "KC" in KC & The Sunshine Band ;) A very popular band during the 70sdisco era.

She deserves it, as she has written some great pop songs and quite a few classics. Of course most of them with collaborators who should also be acknowledged. I would especially like to see a nomination for Patrick Leonard.

if only 2 people are selected then I guess she won't get it this year :( but I'm glad she was even nominated - her songwriting is beyond underrated.

TOTALLY AGREE. And most of the time her songwriting is not even underrated, it's flat out denied. People HATE to think Madonna is actually talented, the idea is too terrifying for them.

Do I have to change me name

Will it get me far

Should I lose some weight

Am I gonna be a star

Don't pretend you're not hungry

I've seen it before

I've got Turkish Delight baby

And so much more

I keep on waiting

Anticipating

But we're never together

Diane Warren, the queen of sap (though I quite enjoy a number of her songs) is inducted- but, she's a non-performer.

Here are the inductees: http://songwritershalloffame.com/exhibits/era

Jon Bon Jovi is in?

This one isn't as easy as the Rock Hall, which is about the *artist*. She's a strong songwriter, but she doesn't necessarily shine above the pack of songwriters like she does above artists, as the total-package artist/phenom she is.

How cool would it be if both Madonna and Nile won together, and a little live performance of LAV :)

Not a big fan of Carol, but fuck me Dolly deserves every award she gets! I know everyone harps on about Bob Dylan and Joni "Sour Puss" Mitchell, but to me Dolly is the greatest song writer bar none, stat!

And kisses to sky-high for the clarification. I wish I was too young to not know who KC and Disco were.

TOTALLY AGREE. And most of the time her songwriting is not even underrated, it's flat out denied. People HATE to think Madonna is actually talented, the idea is too terrifying for them.

People aren't terrified of it. She was labelled the untalented version of Cyndi Lauper from day one and the Average Joe since then has always seen her as such.