Was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

johnnox

Guest bluejean

I listened to both of them this morning back to back and thought exactly the same thing.

Maybe someone should do a mash up.

I actually don't like Blurred Lines. Love Give It 2 Me and I didn't notice the similarity but now that you've mentioned it I totally do

The Timbaland tracks were typical/standard/tired, the same old sound we'd already heard before. Madonna put her stamp on them, but to say she wasn't a follower on HC is just putting your head in the sand. The Pharrell tracks were much more interesting and unexpected. I think BGO had a shot at being a hit, but I don't really think it was ahead of its time necessarily. Had it been released today, I don't think the album would do any better. Actually, it would probably do worse because the Timbaland sound is even more tired now.

Guest Rachelle of London

No, as I said in another thread, the charts just seem to be mining the musical styles of the past twenty years. UK Garage is now making a return here. Hard Candy's Timbaland production sounded old then and it still sounds old now. Timberlake's Mirrors is just so dated but so many other songs are too. Robin Thicke's song is Pharrell's GI2M production ripping off Marvin Gaye's Got To Give.

It seems like that there isn't much originality around at the moment in the music or fashion worlds.

Thank You!

Guest bluejean

The Timbaland tracks were typical/standard/tired, the same old sound we'd already heard before. Madonna put her stamp on them, but to say she wasn't a follower on HC is just putting your head in the sand. The Pharrell tracks were much more interesting and unexpected. I think BGO had a shot at being a hit, but I don't really think it was ahead of its time necessarily. Had it been released today, I don't think the album would do any better. Actually, it would probably do worse because the Timbaland sound is even more tired now.

Totally agree 100%. I think it's interesting that Timberlake managed to get away with such a dated sound on Mirrors. I think alot of that has to do with his underestimated popularity. I wouldn't even say it's a particularly strong song melody wise.

I really hope the Timbaland generic sound or rnb does not come back in a big way. It stuck around like a bad smell for way too long 10 last time around.

Think Hard Candy was of its time and not ahead of it, there's nothing wrong with that. Many fans were dissapointed because she was "trying" to sound current, so what. To me M's music is usually not so much ahead of the curb, it's more that she makes known styles her own.

With the plethora of genres and styles she has adopted it's only natural that we might favorite one album over the other, depending on what style of music we like. I love HC and I was able to instantly connect with it, that's because that's the style of music thrat I like (I'm in Atlanta, is all a out hip hop and R&B Down here). Something like COADF and ROL takes my ear while to get used to, I don't think that one album is better than the other.

The thing about the Pharell tracks is that they are Disco influenced with a moder twist. So in that regard she was ahead of the pack since you don't hear disco influenced in popular music today.

*Gets off soap box

I think the album was written off as being sheepish in that she took these two producers who were so established and worked with them, but what she brought to the mix as has already been pointed out is essential. Much like how she blended 60s pop rock with contemporary funk on Like a Prayer (thats the thing that comes to mind, she does it on almost every album), she brought the elements of original, pre moroder, 70s RnB, funk and disco to the table, recognising that is where Tim and Pharells sounds had their original roots in. If that had been played up, rather than the clingy "modern" stuff I believe the album would be more impressive and artistically determined.

The album was hell dated when it came out and to say it was ahead of its time is really clutching at straws. I've heard the same things about American Life. I mean seriously.

AMERICAN LIFE isn't dated and since it didn't start any trends it can't be considered ahead of its time — would you agree?

Miles Away, Animal, Latte, even a bit of Across the Sky all sound like Loose

Three of those songs aren't on Hard Candy. :doh: They also don't sound like Loose. You thought that a song from the music album proved that Madonna was chasing the sound of Britney. Why would I trust your opinion on this? :lol:

Guest Not4Pussies

I've been listening to HC a lot and I really enjoy it. Can't stop listening to Dance 2Night. I like HC more than MDNA. It is more cohesive and better produced.

Based on two of the biggest hits of the year, Daft Punk's Get Lucky and Robin Thicke's Blurred lines, was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

She was accused of jumping on the r'n'nb and Timbaland/ Timberlake band wagons at the time. But when you hear the Thicke/ Pharrel/ Daft Punk collaborations doing so well right now, they are not that far removed from Give It 2 Me, Dance 2Nite, Candy Shop, The Beat Goes On etc.

Had Hard Candy been released this year, would it have sold more or received more praise?

Stupid question. Those two songs have nothing to do with anything on that album. As usual, you come back here wanting responses to your stupid threads. Well, here's one response: you're a fuckwit.

I definitely hear the Loose comparison, especially in those outtakes. But that's because it's Timbaland. I was really disappointed with what he churned out for Madonna. I mean, wouldn't you pull out all the stops for the queen? The production of "4 Minutes" is good, but beyond that? It pales in comparison to his peak work with Missy Elliott and Justin Timberlake. When I heard "My Love" for the first time and that song with Keri Hilson whose title I can't remember I was like, "Damn, maybe he does have some new tricks up his sleeve," and I was really looking forward to HC. Oh well.

It seems far too soon for trends from just six or seven years ago to be coming around again, but that seems to be what's happening. I definitely noticed the similarity to Mirrors and Blurred Lines, even before I'd seen other people making the comparison. Then again, I think the relative failure of Hard Candy was partly down to the bad publicity from the divorce, the image, the plastic surgery etc. and not much has changed in that respect since 2008.

johnnox, I'm very confused - so below are some questions:

One thing is what is ahead of its time and what's not, and another is what makes a hit and what doesn't. Certainly nothing that Pharrell is doing right now is ahead of anyone's time, not even his. But they are nice songs, and deserve to be hits.

4 Minutes was also a hit and it was derivative. It would still sound derivative today (and she would still sound terrible singing it). So what about today would make it any different? Or are you saying that in 2013 there would've been another lead single (one of Pharrell's)?

Secondly, are you meaning to say that Give it 2 Me could've been a successful second single in the States? Because it did okay in the rest of the world, didn't it? And Give it 2 Me is no Get Lucky - as nice as it is, it was never going to be a smash hit.

Thirdly, are you saying She's Not Me stood a chance to be released in 2013? Because I would love to believe that :)

I've been listening to HC a lot and I really enjoy it. Can't stop listening to Dance 2Night. I like HC more than MDNA. It is more cohesive and better produced.

Wow, this is a deal breaker. :(

And the best part is that this is coming from the most bitter OLD fans. :lmao:

NO ONE would dare to say this shit back in 2008, not even as a lame joke. :lmao:

I guess that's what it feels like when people say Erotica or American Life were ahead of its time. Nobody liked these albums when they were released. :lmao:

5 years from now people will say the same damn thing about MDNA, when a Girl Gone Wild knock-off will rock the charts. :Disco_Ball:

Guest SterlingCooper

That’s a really interesting point, OP. To be honest, I think the album was behind the curve when it was released. I loved and still love the album. It was really polished and had good writing throughout. That said, it was very 2006.

Give It 2 Me was definitely ahead of its time though, considering Blurred Lines is basically a reductive version of it that just became a hit.

Pharrell basically copied this song for GI2M.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1slFc9G7I74[/media]

I hate that disgusting douchebag so much. I wish that whole M-Dolla shit never happened.

Your opinion is so tiring, STFU for once. Please. You've been preaching the same thing for a while now.

I guess that's what it feels like when people say Erotica or American Life were ahead of its time. Nobody liked these albums when they were released. :lmao:

EROTICA and AMERICAN LIFE musically aren't dated like Madonna's supposed masterpieces LIKE A PRAYER and RAY OF LIGHT.

Guest bluejean

5 years from now people will say the same damn thing about MDNA, when a Girl Gone Wild knock-off will rock the charts. :Disco_Ball:

:lmao: So true "Madonna was doing dance flops and now dance is huge, she's started a trend"

Guest bluejean

AMERICAN LIFE isn't dated and since it didn't start any trends it can't be considered ahead of its time — would you agree?

American Life isn't dated. People said it was "ahead of its time" including Nelly Furtado on twitter. It wasn't. Nobody wants to sound like that album since.

American Life isn't dated. People said it was "ahead of its time" including Nelly Furtado on twitter. It wasn't. Nobody wants to sound like that album since.

That's my point it didn't start a trend hence its ineligible for the distinction of ahead of its time—

I was asking whether you agreed.

American Life has the distinction of being unique but that's about it.

Anyway, Hard Candy is like a lot of Madonna albums in that it seems to coincidentally explore trends way before they start. Confessions had that effect too. Dance faggot music has been all over radio (starting to die now) for years and Confessions came out during the hip hop reign of the Bush years.

I gave Hard Candy a very hard time when it was released because the songs just didn't click with me in a major way like her other albums did upon first listen. But it's a good album. There's more to it than you'd think. Some songs are just bleh though. And her voice was in terrible shape on it. Heartbeat :scared:

But it's grown on me a lot, the same way Bedtime Stories did. Similar albums in a lot of ways IMO.