World Tour 2012 VOCALS DISCUSSION thread

Apples388

Could this be the first tour ever where we don't actually have a 'taster' of her live vocals before she goes on the road?

All tours since DWT had been preceded by a small promo tour of sorts which gave us an idea of what to expect of her vocals live.

This time the only live performance we had was Superbowl and that was lipsynched to album vocals (except "Like a Prayer").

Before we discuss 2012/2013 potential live vocals let's have a quick recap of her wold tour vox -

1985 Virgin - youthful, fantastic, surprisingly strong live vocals.

1987 Who's That Girl - generally good vocals until she got to the end and unfortunately those awful Italian show vocals were immortalised forevermore giving the world the impression that she can't sing.

1990 Blonde Ambition - laryngitis frenzy. Offkey. Throaty. Shambolic. "Sooner or Later" atop a piano in Nice, anyone? Didn't think so.

1993 Girlie Show - arguably her strongest tour vocally.

2001 Drowned World - first post-Evita training live vocals. Generally fantastic, if a little too controlled in areas and thus taking away some of the Madonna live vocal abandonment.

2004 Reinvention - crowtastic in places, but generally still acceptable.

2006 Confessions - the crow has made a little nest.

2008/2009 Sticky and Sweet - all traces of Madonna have been replaced by a flock of crows.

I have a feeling she is going to struggle to sing some of the new songs live. The middle 8 on Love Spent is the first one that

springs to mind. She will definitely struggle on that one. GGW and TUTR are also going to test her. I expect a full on flock of CROWS. I wonder how many songs she will mime.

Oh, and if Hung Up is in the setlist I demand the full on GAYTASTIC version complete with ABBA sample not the DREADFUL

RAWK version. UGH

WHAATIN for YA call baby NITE EN DAYY I'm fed up I TIREED A WHATTIN for you.

I CANNN'T keep on WHATTIN for YOOOUU I know that your still HEESITATAAYYYN

:lmao:

OMG the best crowtastic HUNG UP was its first ever unveiling - the EMA's.. watch the perf and especially listen to the very final "waiting for your CAAALLL waiting for your CALLLLL" at 4:50 - it's practically a crow flapping on stage!! LUV!! :wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9tYMB7-5I

OMG the best crowtastic HUNG UP was its first ever unveiling - the EMA's.. watch the perf and especially listen to the very final "waiting for your CAAALLL waiting for your CALLLLL" at 4:50 - it's practically a crow flapping on stage!! LUV!! :wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9tYMB7-5I

Oh yes that one is CROWTASTIC. She is almost breathless and the vocals are dreadful and hoarse.

To be fair though the performance MORE than made up for it.

I have a feeling she is going to struggle to sing some of the new songs live. The middle 8 on Love Spent is the first one that

springs to mind. She will definitely struggle on that one. GGW and TUTR are also going to test her. I expect a full on flock of CROWS. I wonder how many songs she will mime.

Oh, and if Hung Up is in the setlist I demand the full on GAYTASTIC version complete with ABBA sample not the DREADFUL

RAWK version. UGH

WHAATIN for YA call baby NITE EN DAYY I'm fed up I TIREED A WHATTIN for you.

I CANNN'T keep on WHATTIN for YOOOUU I know that your still HEESITATAAYYYN

Please no, i don't want her to turn into Britney Spears :scared:

Her vocals are not the best that's true (Sticky & Sweet come to mind) but i respect the fact that she's singing live 95% of the time.

As for Sticky & Sweet, there was still some great vocals:

OMG definitely one of the all the time worst! :rotfl:

I have a secret feeling that we'll have some good vox on this tour.. judging from the snippets and the leaked songs so far, she actually sounds good. LEt's not forget that she sounded crowtastic on record as well in Hard Candy. "Dance 2Night" anyone?

5-star thread!

I believe this tour will mark somewhat of a return 2 form (read: acceptable). :fag:

RE: RIT she was actually praised in a few reviews 4 her vocals.

Vocals in this clip are very flat and off key. Still those mini promo concerts she did were EXCELLENT.

A great way to let the public hear some songs from the new album. BIG mistake not doing mini shows

for MDNA. Didn't they get big numbers on the internet when they were streamed?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ym4w_ShRI8I

5-star thread!

I believe this tour will mark somewhat of a return 2 form (read: acceptable). :fag:

RE: RIT she was actually praised in a few reviews 4 her vocals.

I liked her vocals for RIT

And MAH my mamma she made me LEARRRRN

RIT was all about vocal control in a disciplined new lower crow range, which was sometimes unpleasant in tone, but still correct. :fag:

This element was not present in the sparrow/crow lite version during the AL promo tours which was built largely on a thin, breathy higher register. C also MATM & Into The Gap

I dunno what happened during CT but it was a decline in quality from RIT.

S&S was just the worst, it was like Live Nation drew them in with all them shiny coins she got 4 her contract.

crows_migrating_by_deepblueskie-d484m15.jpg

Somebody should tweet guy & tell him 2 put this up at the tour rehearsal venue.

250px-Kakashi2.jpg

RIT was all about vocal control in a disciplined new lower crow range, which was sometimes unpleasant in tone, but still correct. :fag:

This element was not present in the sparrow/crow lite version during the AL promo tours which was built largely on a thin, breathy higher register. C also MATM & Into The Gap

S&S was just the worst, it was like Live Nation drew them in with all them shiny coins she got 4 her contract.

250px-Kakashi2.jpg

Hilarious. Best post in ages

Why was the crow so hard to digest back during the COADf days? I thought for sure she was going to give up her london estate for a corn farm in the US after the EMA performance. But thankgod for Hard Candy, that was when Crowdonna became a staple to her performances.

"Vogue" at the Super Bowl was not album vocals. :D Rather, new "live" vocals that she recorded (I think they were different from re-Invention Tour?)

yeah , vogue music and lap were pre-recorded vocals

WART are you waiting for nobaaaady's gonna show you HAU

WHA WAYT for someone else to do what you can do RIGHT NAUUUW

OH MY GOD :lmao::lmao::lmao: And listen at 1:15!

This is Crowdonna in full swing :wow:

250px-Kakashi2.jpg

I'm dying, honestly. :rotfl:

Guest jamesshot

So this will be my first time seeing her LIVE :wow:

So is her voice actually going to be awful?!

I've seen her on every tour from DWT on and she has never sounded awful for an entire show. Some shows are better than others. Depends on how much dancing she does. She always sounds surprising better in person but last tour as few songs ( like Borderline) she sounded horrible but others ( YMLM) she sounded really great and beautiful. Really no different than most people live. I've seen the Foo Fighters 4 times and Dave G usually sounds horrible live because he screams through all the songs but it works somehow cuz they are awesome live.

No, she could have great vocals, it depend.

Exactly. It all depends on the song and where she goes with it. For instance... "Borderline" and "Human Nature" from the last tour were awful. A lot of that is due to the fact she screamed much of the song. In fact, much of the mid show starting with "Devil..." through "You Must Love Me" were some great vocals. As for Confessions, again, some of the songs she just screamed, but there were some real highlights. One in particular where she sounded fantastic was "Substitute For Love". "Like A Virgin" was pretty awesome as well as "Jump", "Get Together" and "Live To Tell".

As for RIT... the stand out for me regarding vocals is when she sang "Lament". So much raw emotion was put into that performance that she sounded great. There were many other great vocals, but again, it all depends on where she takes the song. I've yet to hear her sing "Frozen" good. Most of the "Ray of Light" performances she is screaming, but she makes up for it as the performances are usually high energy.