ROLLING STONE (USA): October 29th Cover

Guest Damaris

Guest waiting

I just wish she would stop mentioning M&M every time someone asks her what hip hop music she likes as if it would make her seem in-touch with current trends.

1. what songs almost made the final cut on celebration and which songs didn't?

the songs that are on the compilation made it and the ones that arent didnt.

2. does she feel her mtv's have become less iconic (i.e. crappy) in the last few years?

other things to worry about than videos. have you seen my body of work? everyones eating my dust, STILL.

3. how does she feel about declining radio play in the states as opposed to the rest of the world?

the money keeps rolling in, you dont ask how....

4. the reinvention and blonde ambition tour releases!!!

oh, theyre all over my fan sites. in fact, didnt i do an HBO telecast for BLOND AMBITION? i cant remember when i was young....

5. will the american life video ever get a release?

isnt it on youtube? even the HQ directors cut? i thought people made their own dvd's these days. my children do. mercys a wizard!!!

6. how she came to write and sing celebration and revolver for this new album

ive been working with and around paul since 1984. since i was on tour and he was opening, we just worked through some songs like i did in the ol' days.

:rotfl:

you do a good Madonna :rotfl:

and :wow: at you're sig , La Isla Bonita is truly timless

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

1. what songs almost made the final cut on celebration and which songs didn't?

the songs that are on the compilation made it and the ones that arent didnt.

2. does she feel her mtv's have become less iconic (i.e. crappy) in the last few years?

other things to worry about than videos. have you seen my body of work? everyones eating my dust, STILL.

3. how does she feel about declining radio play in the states as opposed to the rest of the world?

the money keeps rolling in, you dont ask how....

4. the reinvention and blonde ambition tour releases!!!

oh, theyre all over my fan sites. in fact, didnt i do an HBO telecast for BLOND AMBITION? i cant remember when i was young....

5. will the american life video ever get a release?

isnt it on youtube? even the HQ directors cut? i thought people made their own dvd's these days. my children do. mercys a wizard!!!

6. how she came to write and sing celebration and revolver for this new album

ive been working with and around paul since 1984. since i was on tour and he was opening, we just worked through some songs like i did in the ol' days.

:lol:

Honestly, what shit questions.

Guest bluejean

It's funny the way the journalist puts a negative twist on everything. She didn't mean anything quite the way he has described it.

Guest Danny86

I just wish she would stop mentioning M&M every time someone asks her what hip hop music she likes as if it would make her seem in-touch with current trends.

Maybe she actually likes him? Or you want her to say Flo Rida because he charted in 2009?

And what's wrong with it if Madonna thinks this is brilliant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnaksjwqdA

Why does her taste have to be justified anyway? I don't care for Lady Gaga but I'm not going to be whining and "be embarrassed as a fan" because Madonna went to her show and liked it.

'I didn't really have my first drink until I got divorced the first time, from Sean Penn, when I was 30. I was kind of a geek in high school.'

didnt her dad once say on the interview with rosie in 1992 that she would always come home late at night vomiting? i'm assuming from alcohol of course!

It's funny the way the journalist puts a negative twist on everything. She didn't mean anything quite the way he has described it.

I know, she wasn't taking a dig at Paul. She was just saying that she would get bored doing what he does, it's not her thing.

I agree the whole write up has a negative twist to it. I believe she was just being factious when making that statement. No doubt, it probably was a tough time, but that comment was simply words in how disappointed she was. Furthermore, I don't believe even the comment regarding Paul McCartney was meant to be harsh. I think she was just pointing out that she isn't the type to pull off a great show (as Paul could) by just standing there, playing guitar, singing songs.

didnt her dad once say on the interview with rosie in 1992 that she would always come home late at night vomiting? i'm assuming from alcohol of course!

Actually I remember him saying that she would make herself sick at nights when she was just a kid. To drive attention, I assume.

More not in the magazine

Britney Spears was featured in a video clip during “Human Nature” in your Sticky & Sweet show. She’s stuck in an elevator and starts to go crazy. Is that how you analogize what’s happened in her career?

Yes. Didn’t that explain what I thought? “I’m not your bitch, don’t hang your shit on me.” I just think people should mind their own business and let her grow up. I think everyone goes off the deep end at one time or another, and she, like Michael Jackson, didn’t really have a childhood, so there are some inherent problems in that scenario. I have a lot of compassion for her, and I hope that she can find balance in her life. I don’t know how bad her meltdown was. One can’t believe everything one reads.

From a lyrical perspective, what are your favorite lines that you’ve written over the years?

I like the words to songs that aren’t very popular. “Miles Away” and “Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You.” They’re more personal and less accessible. I love the lyrics to “Like It or Not.” [sings] “I’ll be the garden, you be the snake, all of my fruit is yours to take, better the devil that you know, your love will surely grow.” And I love “Paradise (Not For Me).” [sings] “I can’t remember when I was young, I can’t explain if it was wrong.”

Does your oldest daughter, Lourdes, introduce you to new music?

She turned me on to the Ting Tings. There’s a band she loves called Disco Bitch. She’s into My Chemical Romance, and she’s outgrown the Jonas Brothers. She loves Lady Gaga, Ciara, Rihanna, T.I. and Justin. She lives with the iPod in her ears.

Is it a bittersweet feeling, parting with Warner Bros. after spending your entire career there?

I don’t know. The record business as we know it doesn’t exist anymore. The way people make, market and sell music is so different now. It’s just natural evolution. In many ways, it’s better, because kids have the chance now to get themselves out there without the middle man and all the bureaucracy and administrative bullshit that you have to endure. On the other hand, there isn’t somebody nurturing these kids along. I don’t know what the solution is. I’m sure it will all come around full circle again. It just feels like time to move on. I’m OK with it.

More at RollingStone.com

Guest Danny86

From a lyrical perspective, what are your favorite lines that you've written over the years?

I like the words to songs that aren't very popular. "Miles Away" and "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You." They're more personal and less accessible. I love the lyrics to "Like It or Not." [sings] "I'll be the garden, you be the snake, all of my fruit is yours to take, better the devil that you know, your love will surely grow." And I love "Paradise (Not For Me)." [sings] "I can't remember when I was young, I can't explain if it was wrong."

How important are hit songs to you?

Well... It's important, I'm not going to lie. I want my music to be accessible and reach people all around the world.

Who turns you on to music?

I listen to music all the time. I have a lot of friends who are DJs, I get stuff from A&R people, my managers. Or I'll go to a nightclub or listen to the radio. People always bring music to workouts, and I look on iTunes every Tuesday. One of my drivers in New York DJs part-time, and another has incredible taste in music. They're always playing stuff for me. I don't live my life in a bubble.

Love it! :thumbsup:

Guest Danny86

Same views as Prince!!! :thumbsup:

Is it a bittersweet feeling, parting with Warner Bros. after spending your entire career there?

I don't know. The record business as we know it doesn't exist anymore. The way people make, market and sell music is so different now. It's just natural evolution. In many ways, it's better, because kids have the chance now to get themselves out there without the middle man and all the bureaucracy and administrative bullshit that you have to endure. On the other hand, there isn't somebody nurturing these kids along. I don't know what the solution is. I'm sure it will all come around full circle again. It just feels like time to move on. I'm OK with it.

Some of your best songs — "Live to Tell," "Like a Prayer," "Cherish" — are collaborations with songwriter/producer Patrick Leonard. Why has that relationship been so successful?

We're both from the Midwest, and deep down at our core, we're both geeks. He's melancholic, and he is a classically trained musician with an incredible sense of melody. We just hit it off from the start. We always come up with something interesting. We usually don't write frivolous songs, although we've done that, too. There's something magical about our writing.

Give it up for the midwesterners!!!!!

Does your oldest daughter, Lourdes, introduce you to new music?

She turned me on to the Ting Tings. There's a band she loves called Disco Bitch. She's into My Chemical Romance, and she's outgrown the Jonas Brothers. She loves Lady Gaga, Ciara, Rihanna, T.I. and Justin. She lives with the iPod in her ears.

I see Lourdes has impeccable taste 2rojh8k.jpg

Who turns you on to music?

I listen to music all the time. I have a lot of friends who are DJs, I get stuff from A&R people, my managers. Or I'll go to a nightclub or listen to the radio. People always bring music to workouts, and I look on iTunes every Tuesday. One of my drivers in New York DJs part-time, and another has incredible taste in music. They're always playing stuff for me. I don't live my life in a bubble.

What is Lourdes' role on tour?

She dresses the dancers backstage. She's really into hair and make-up, so she does a lot of experimenting. She's very talented. She could absolutely design her own line of clothes, she's got great style. Everyone asks her what she thinks of their outfit. Her, not me.

---------