Italy: Quake-city mayor appeals to Madonna for help

TOUR2008

From Tribe news

After being informed that Madonna has decided to make a donation to the victims of earthquake that has devastated the Italian region of Abruzzo Fernando Caparso, the mayor of Pacentro who the other day solicited a helping hand from the Queen of Pop, has released a statement to Adnkronos praising Madonna's gesture.

"I'm very happy, Madonna made a great gesture and gave out a great example. I had no doubt about Madonna's intelligence and sensitivity. You have to be real special to stay on top in show business for more than twenty years" Caparso said.

He added "The person in charge of Madonna's tours in Italy contacted me this morning and asked me to call her manager in Los Angeles who wants to talk to me. They gave me his number and I will call him tonight".

People magazine has previously reported Madonna is willing to donate about $500.000 to the Italian region, now devastated by the earthquake, from which his grandfathers Michelina Di Iulio and Gaetano Ciccone left to find fortune in America in the early 20's.

Caparso added that he hopes this gesture will be an example to follow by other major stars who love Italy.

Translation by MadonnaTribe.com

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...6r9kqgD97EF2H01

Mayor: Madonna promises $500,000 for quake relief

6 minutes ago

PACENTRO, Italy (AP) — The mayor of an Italian town damaged by Monday's earthquake says Madonna has promised $500,000 to help people in need.

Fernando Caparso, the mayor of Pacentro, the mountainside village where two of the pop star's grandparents were born, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that that he had spoken to the pop star's manager. He said he was deeply moved by Madonna's effort to assist the town as well as surrounding areas.

Pacentro, 100 kilometers (60 miles) from hard-hit L'Aquila, felt Monday's earthquake but didn't suffer major damage. Caparso said most of the donation would go to areas harder hit.

Liz Rosenberg, the pop singer's spokeswoman, said Madonna had pledged a "substantial amount," but didn't disclosed the exact figure.

Madonna vows $500G for Italy earthquake victims - 10 times what the U.S. government sent

Not-so-Material Girl Madonna pledged $500,000 for victims of Italy's terrible earthquake on Wednesday - 10 times what the U.S. government sent.

The mayor of Pacentro, the Abruzzi mountain village where Madonna Ciccone's paternal grandparents were born, reached out to the pop star, who is practically a holy icon in town, and begged for help.

Fernando Caparso, mayor of the medieval village of 1,300 souls about 60 miles from the epicenter of Monday's quake, said the singer quickly called with her generous offer.

"I am happy to lend a helping hand to the town that my ancestors are from," Madonna told People magazine.

Caparso called it "a beautiful thing" and a big help for the people of the devastated regional capital L'Aquila.

On Monday, the State Department announced it was sending $50,000 in emergency relief funds.

President Obama has told Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi that the U.S. stands ready if called on for help.

Dozens of Italian-American communities are also gathering donations.

In L'Aquila, the death toll climbed to 272, 16 of them children. About 100 people remained critically injured, 30 were missing and 28,000 were left homeless.

Digging will continue until Sunday.

As hopes faded that anyone else would be found alive in the rubble, the funerals began.

Soccer player Giuseppe Chiavaroli, 24, was carried to his final rest by his teammates, his sky-blue jersey draped across the top of his coffin.

Friday has been declared a national day of mourning and a group funeral will be held.

The Vatican had to grant a dispensation for the funeral Mass: Good Friday, which marks the day Jesus was crucified, is the only day on which Mass is not usually celebrated.

The funeral will be held in a police barracks - all of L'Aquila's churches have either collapsed or are unsafe to enter.

Pope Benedict said he will visit "as soon as possible."

Berlusconi, visiting the survivors, touchingly comforted distraught seniors but then struck false notes by bragging about what he's been through.

"I've beaten a personal endurance record: 44 hours without sleep," said the 72-year-old premier.

He brushed off criticism of his comment that those left huddled in tent cities should think of it as a "camping weekend."

"Sometimes, even during a tragedy like this, you've got to smile because you can't get results without optimism," he said.

Madonna Promises $500,000 For Italy Earthquake Relief

PACENTRO, Italy — The Material Girl is giving something back to the land of her ancestors.

Madonna has promised $500,000 to help victims of Italy's devastating earthquake, said Fernando Caparso, mayor of Pacentro, the mountainside village where two of the pop star's grandparents were born.

Carparso told The Associated Press on Wednesday that that he had spoken to the pop star's manager and that he was deeply moved by Madonna's effort to assist the town as well as surrounding areas.

"Madonna was the only one who could help us," he said. "Other then being a great singer, a great rock star and an intelligent woman, with this gesture she has become a great woman," he said.

Liz Rosenberg, the pop singer's spokeswoman, confirmed that Madonna had pledged a "substantial amount," in quake relief but didn't disclose the exact figure.

The picturesque village, 100 kilometers (60 miles) from hard-hit L'Aquila, felt Monday's earthquake but did not suffer serious damage. However Caparso said residents were terrified and some have been sleeping in tents or in their cars for fear of being crushed in collapsing buildings.

Caparso said the bulk of Madonna's donation would be destined for areas harder hit.

In this tiny village, located below a snow covered mountain and overlooking a valley of olive groves, residents were mostly appreciative of the gesture _ particularly coming at a time when the area was already experiencing economic problems.

"This was a tragedy for us, and I am very moved by what she did," said Davide Battaglini, 33, who works for Italy's financial police. "Our situation isn't the best, factories have been closing, so a gesture from a star like her is very welcome."

But Rosa Napoli, 90, was less than approving. "She is a woman that men like. She is not the Madonna that is worshipped in church," :chuckle: Napoli said as she left a small church where she attended an evening Mass.

Madonna still has relatives in the town, who live in a four-story home along the main road leading up through the mountainside village. Giuseppe Mirandola, the son of her second cousins, answered the door at the entrance to the home, flanked by potted plants and trees.

"Journalists have been bothering my family for a long time," Mirandola said from the door. "I don't want to talk."

Guest Pud Whacker
It was mentioned on Mediaset (the commercial italian television) yesterday and today.

im gonna blog that, thanks cosmic. xo

Guest Pud Whacker
I do think it's funny the Drudgereport and such will report every detail of the adoption drama and ignore when she does something good.

Scandal sells.

totally. :thumbsdown: