the JUSTIFY MY LOVE worship altar

Yesterday i was at a bar for Happy Hour when suddenly Justify my love was blasting in the speakers and the mood shifted, it's such an atmospheric and sexy song, unusual too, spoken over a hip hop beat on a loop, even Lenny Kravitz background humming is hot. It's such a flawless song and flawless single release.

Everything is perfect about it :

The cover is iconic, a butch Madonna appears as a cross between Marlon Brando and a gay man cruising bars. And those lips !

The remixes : No wonder Orbit & Betts ended being one of her greatest co-producers. The orbit remix is probably the best he did for her. Andre Betts take on the track gives it a pre-trip hop mood, Massive Attack sampled the same track on their just released (at the time) 1st album Blue Lines.

And of course the video.

Neither the song, the remixes, the cover nor the video have aged a day.

It's the best song to walk through Paris at night with wine in your blood and a partner on your arm.

tumblr_m1mfpwNBuc1ql58wbo1_400.gif

A bit of trivia. The S&M mistress of whom we see the breasts when she pulls Tony's hair was french designer Claude Montana's muse, now he lives like a recluse but he was THE big deal in the early 80's along Gaultier & Mugler. You can see him rue du Fbg St Honoré, walking cluelessly and looking lost with his 4 bomber jackets on to hide his frail frame. The woman's name was Wallis Franken, she was a supermodel in the late 70's, american born. Her story is one of the many dark tales of Paris fashion world. you can read about it in this Vanity Fair article from 1996 published after her suicide

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/1996/09/montana199609

and more about Montana in this other VF article published in 2013

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2013/09/claude-montana-king-paris-couture

In 1984 she released a single with Mike Oldfield. Notice the Maripol's rubber bracelets