Pick Your Single Choices for Each Madonna Album!

MPowered

I know we've had this thread already, but it got lost in the depths of the forum and after reading the "Will Madonna's next single be a surefire hit?" thread I thought, "Why not revive it" and that's what I did.

You don't necessarilly have to do it for every era, but only for those you consider worth of changing.

"LIKE A PRAYER (1989 - 1990)"

1. Like a Prayer

2. Express Yourself

3. Till Death Do Us Part

4. Cherish / Oh Father (Dual Release)

5. (Pray for) Spanish Eyes (released around Christmas)

6. Keep It Together

I always thought that both, Cherish and Oh Father are great songs but I wasn't so sure about them as singles. Cherish did quite well in English-speaking countries, but was not as successful as Express Yourself and isn't really a memorable track. Oh Father on the other hand is a great song with a great and memorable video that failed to do well on the charts for whatever reason. TDDUP, however is a song that really deserved to be realesed as a single that never had the chance to shine. I think it could've kept the controversy of EY and LAP going and show a more vulnerable side of Madonna, while becoming a major hit due to it's great production. Spanish Eyes really is single-material and would've been a much better choice for a Christmas release than Dear Jessie in my opinion.

"EROTICA (1992 - 1993)"

Now, the problem with this album is that it was doomed by all the criticism Madonna got after the release of her SEX book. I'm not sure if any of the single orders could've changed anything about that, but I'm quite sure that Erotica wasn't a great choice as lead single. It sets the mood for the album, yes. But is it really single material? I don't think so. She could've released it as a promo single along with the SEX book, in my opinion, but not as lead single for the album.

1. Deeper and Deeper

2. Bad Girl

3. Fever

4. Words

5. Rain

"MUSIC" (2000 - 2001)

Let's say...TNBT never happened and Madonna had just finished her Ray of Light tour. I think, things could've been a little different if it went that way.

1. Music

2. Don't Tell Me

3. Amazing (Who cares if it sounds like BS? This was a surefire hit and should've been released regardless!)

4. Impressive Instant

5. What It Feels Like for a Girl (ALBUM VERSION! A video that actually makes sense in context of the song, etc.)

5 great singles with 5 great music videos, diverse and radio-friendly.

"AMERICAN LIFE" "HOLLYWOOD" (2003 - 2004) <- With post-production by Stuart Price

1. Nobody Knows Me (Stuart Price Remix)

2. Intervention

3. I'm So Stupid (Judge me all you want, this song is kick-ass and could've done well with a good radio edit)

4. Hollywood (Stuart Price Remix)

5. Love Profusion

"GIVE IT 2 ME" (2008)

1. 4 Minutes

2. Beat Goes On

3. Heartbeat or She's Not Me

4. Miles Away

5. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

This album had a lot of strong single contenders and believe it or not, GI2M was not one of them. 4 Minutes, still one of Madonna's most-hated singles was and still is a great single. It did really good on the charts and served it's purpose. Beat Goes On would've been a great follow-up. It was a wasted opportunity to not release it as a single! Heartbeat is similar to GI2M, but has much more hit-potential than GI2M, imo. It's not as much as a safe choice as MA or DWRY but still a good single-choice. I think She's Not Me could've done jsut as well, though.

"MDNA" (2012)

Masterpiece (Promo Single for W./E.)

1. Girl Gone Wild (also performed at the Superbowl)

2. I'm Addicted (coinciding with the album release)

3. Gang Bang / Beautiful Killer (Dual-release)

4. Love Spent (Radio Mix similar to William Orbit's 2014 Remix)

We have to pick different singles or change her whole career? I don't get it.

Um no. You just have to change the order of single releases for each album or replace them with other songs. You don't have to do it for every album, just where you think it's needed.

I would just change some little things in few albums:

MUSIC (2000)

1. Music

2. Don't Tell Me

3. WIFLFAG

4. Impressive Instant

HARD CANDY (2008)

1. 4 Minutes

2. Give It 2 Me

3. Miles Away

4. Beat Goes On

MDNA (2012)

1. Masterpiece

2. Love Spent

3. I'm A Sinner

4. Gang Bang

EROTICA

1.Deeper And Deeper

2.Bad Girl

3.Erotica

4.Thief of Hearts

5.Rain

ROL

1.Frozen

2.Nothing Really Matters

3.Skin

4.Ray of Light

MDNA

1.Girl Gone Wild (Tour choreo at Super Bowl omfg imagine?)

2. Love Spent

3.I'm Addicted

4. Gang Bang

I wouldn't change a thing from before 1993...so I'll move on from there.

BEDTIME STORIES:

1. Secret.

2. Take a Bow

3. Human Nature

4. Don't Stop

5. I'd Rather Be Your Lover.

Reasoning- These group of singles would have kept the momentum going from the successes of Secret and TAB. This could have actually netted her a Grammy.

If I had God-like power, I would also delay the production of Evita in order for M to launch the Human Nature: Not Your Bitch Tour, with guest performances by Tupac, Snoop Dogg, depending on the city.

RAY OF LIGHT:

I wouldn't change the singles, but I would blot Rupert Everett from existence and allow M to go on her Drowned World Tour 1999.

MUSIC:

1. Music

2. Amazing

3. Don't Tell Me

4. Impressive Instant

5. Paradise-Not For Me.

2001 is when she should go on her Impressive Instant Tour.

Reasoning-Instead of shooting for Grammy's this era, this is where M shows off the impressive, hipster quality of Music.

NOBODY KNOWS ME:

1. Die Another Day

2. Love Profusion (This would smash immediately following DAD, and this is where M debuts her darker brown hair that she will keep till the end of her English Housewife Tour 2004.)

3. Nobody Knows Me ft. Britney Spears.

4. Hollywood ft. Missy Elliott

Reasoning- Time for M to chase some Gen Y cred while at the same time being socially relevant enough to get Grammy's. This is what AL should have looked like.

[i won't change anything from '06-'11.]

MDNA

1. Masterpiece (Hit single to outdo anything from Evita).

2. Gang Bang (I would want M to use a concept similar to "What It Feels Like for A Girl", except she chases a Guy lookalike around England before murdering him.)

3. I'm a Sinner

4. I'm Addicted (Renamed to "Like an Addiction".)

I would also delay the tour to 2013 (Called Human Nature: Still Not Sorry Tour) in order to allow M to promote this album and its singles better.

Edited by hofoid

Music

1. Music
  2. Don’t Tell Me
  3. Impressive Instant
  4. WIFLFAG

American Life

1. Die Another Day
  2. Nothing Fails
  3. Love Profusion
  4. Hollywood

Confessions on a Dance Floor

1. Hung Up
  2. Sorry
  3. Jump
  4. Get Together

Hard Candy

1. 4 Minutes
  2. Beat Goes On
  3. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
  4. Give it 2 Me

MDNA

1. Turn Up The Radio
  2. Girl Gone Wild
  3. Love Spent
  4. Gang Bang

I've said these things a bunch of times, but...

BEDTIME STORIES:
Secret

Take a Bow

Forbidden Love (w/ Bedtime Story remixes and video, exactly like they did Bad Girl/Fever in the U.S.)

Don't Stop

MUSIC:

Music

Don't Tell Me

What It Feels Like for a Girl (but with the album version videos and Impressive Instant remixes)

Amazing

AMERICAN LIFE:

Hollywood

Nothing Fails

Nobody Knows Me

CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR:

Hung Up

Jump (I just would have changed the order because I think this one could have had a better shot at being a hit)

Sorry

Get Together

HARD CANDY:

4 Minutes

Beat Goes On

Miles Away

Give It 2 Me

MDNA:

Turn Up the Radio

Superstar (I know, I know, but I think this could have done well - reminds me of a Katy Perry song. Single with Gang Bang remixes)

I Don't Give A

Love Spent

Bedtime Stories

1. Secret

2. Take a bow

3. Inside of Me

4. Dont Stop

Ray Of Light

1. Frozen

2. Ray of light

3. The power of goodbye

4. Nothing really matters

5. Skin

Music

1. Music

2. Dont tell me

3. What it feels like for a girl (video = album version)

4. Impressive instant

American Life

1. Die Another Day (not an ost theme song anymore but promoted as the first single off the album)

2. Nothing Fails

3. Love profusion

4. Nobody Knows Me

Confessions On A Dancefloor

1. Hung up

2. Get Together

3. Jump

4. Sorry

5. Push

Hard Candy

1. 4 Minutes

2. Beat Goes On

3. Give it 2 Me (with the original boxing theme video)

4. Heartbeat

5. Miles Away

6. Devil wouldnt Recognize you

MDNA

1. Girl Gone Wild ( the Varla/puff hair look in the video should be the whole theme of the era including the album and magazine covers, GMAYL is for the superbowl performance only)

2. Turn Up The Radio (video cont of the GGW video)

3. Gang Bang (last of the trilogy, were the TUTR vid left off, fast pussy kill? inspired directed by Tarantino)

4. Love Spent

Guest SecretGarden

I think almost all the singles pre Music were picked correctly, I'll only list the albums with significant changes:

Music:

1. Music

2. Don't Tell Me

3. Impressive Instant

4. What It Feels like For a Girl

5. Amazing

American Life:

1. Die Another Day

2. Hollywood

3. Nobody Knows Me

4. American Life

Confessions:

1. Hung Up

2. Sorry

3. Jump

4. Forbidden Love (European Release)

5. Get Together

Hard Candy:

1. 4 Minutes

2. Beat Goes On

3. Miles Away (Japanese Release)

4. Give it 2 Me

5. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

MDNA:

1. I'm Addicted

2. I Don't Give A

3. Masterpiece

4. Gang Bang

Surprisingly, I think she (or Warner) made pretty good choices. Here are the only ones I'd revise:

* A fifth single for Bedtime Stories, and if it were up to me I'd be fine with "Forbidden Love" or "Sanctuary" as long as either had a kick ass video.

American Life:

1. Die Another Day
  2. Nobody Knows Me
  3. Nothing Fails
  4. Intervention
  5. Love Profusion

Confessions on a Dance Floor

1. Hung Up
  2. Jump
  3. Get Together
  4. How High
  5. Forbidden Love

Hard Candy

1. 4 Minutes
  2. Give It 2 Me
  3. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
  4. Beat Goes On
  5. Miles Away

MDNA

1. Turn Up the Radio (with original Solveig/Sunday Girl music, arrangement and lyrics)
  2. Gang Bang
  3. Love Spent
  4. I Don't Give A
  5. I'm Addicted

Music:
1. Music
2. Impressive Instant
3. Runaway Lover (eu)
4. Don't Tell Me
5. What It Feels like For a Girl (above & beyond radio edit)

American Life:

1. Die Another Day
2. Hollywood (mirwais re-edit)
3. Nobody Knows Me

Confessions:

1. Hung Up
2. Get Together
3. Sorry
4. Futers Lovers
5. Jump

Hard Candy:

1. 4 Minutes
2. She`s Not Me (PW re-mix)
3. Miles Away
4. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

MDNA:

1. Girl Gone wild
2. Some Girls
3. Gang Bang
Edited by alen

Madonna - no change

Like A Virgin - all releases plus a full single release of Over And Over in early 1986

True Blue - no change

WTG Soundtrack - no change

You Can Dance - Full single releases for Spotlight and Where's The Party into early 1988

LIke A Prayer - No change except Til Death Do Us Part as the 5th single followed by Keep It Together as the 6th and Dear Jessie as the 7th

I'm Breathless - no change

The Immmaculate Collection - no change

Erotica - no change

Bedtime Stories - no change

Something To Remember - no change

Evita - no change

Ray Of Light - no change

TNBT - don't bother with anything from this

Music - Impressive Instant / Gone as double a-side 4th single

American Life - no AL, renamed Xstatic Process with DAD, Hollywood and Nothing Fails as singles

Confessions On A Dancefloor - no change - just add Let IT Will Be as a 5th single

Hard Candy - 4 Minutes, Give It To Me, The Beat Goes On, She's Not Me

Celebration - no change

MDNA - Turn Up The Radio, Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, I'm Addicted

Guest Madomination

I definitely thought Rain should have been released after Deeper And Deeper instead of Bad Girl.

It would this:

Erotica

Deeper And Deeper

Rain

Fever

The rest of the album, unfortunately, while strong, were not radio friendly.

Music-

Fourth single could have been Impressive Instant or Amazing. II could have been a huge hit with an awesome video.

Hard Candy-

1) 4M- Hated this at first. It was a huge hit that she needed in US.

2) TBGO- Agree with people about how this should have been a second or even third single.

3 )GI2M- I watched the video a million times, but truth is the video could have been better. I also thought it sounded dated when I first heard it, but the song is so catchy.

40 MA- This is a great song, but the video is very boring & killed it. It felt at the time that M did not want to be bothered with making a video, but she was obviously busy with her tour.

MDNA

Fourth single could have been Addicted, LS, BK

M single choices throughout her career don't bother me as much as the quality of her music videos. They appear to be getting worse since Get Together. I still love the new videos, but several of them never reached their creative potential.

I wouldn't change a thing from before 1993...so I'll move on from there.

BEDTIME STORIES:

1. Secret.

2. Take a Bow

3. Human Nature

4. Don't Stop

5. I'd Rather Be Your Lover.

Reasoning- These group of singles would have kept the momentum going from the successes of Secret and TAB. This could have actually netted her a Grammy.

If I had God-like power, I would also delay the production of Evita in order for M to launch the Human Nature: Not Your Bitch Tour, with guest performances by Tupac, Snoop Dogg, depending on the city.

RAY OF LIGHT:

I wouldn't change the singles, but I would blot Rupert Everett from existence and allow M to go on her Drowned World Tour 1999.

MUSIC:

1. Music

2. Amazing

3. Don't Tell Me

4. Impressive Instant

5. Paradise-Not For Me.

2001 is when she should go on her Impressive Instant Tour.

Reasoning-Instead of shooting for Grammy's this era, this is where M shows off the impressive, hipster quality of Music.

NOBODY KNOWS ME:

1. Die Another Day

2. Love Profusion (This would smash immediately following DAD, and this is where M debuts her darker brown hair that she will keep till the end of her English Housewife Tour 2004.)

3. Nobody Knows Me ft. Britney Spears.

4. Hollywood ft. Missy Elliott

Reasoning- Time for M to chase some Gen Y cred while at the same time being socially relevant enough to get Grammy's. This is what AL should have looked like.

[i won't change anything from '06-'11.]

MDNA

1. Masterpiece (Hit single to outdo anything from Evita).

2. Gang Bang (I would want M to use a concept similar to "What It Feels Like for A Girl", except she chases a Guy lookalike around England before murdering him.)

3. I'm a Sinner

4. I'm Addicted (Renamed to "Like an Addiction".)

I would also delay the tour to 2013 (Called Human Nature: Still Not Sorry Tour) in order to allow M to promote this album and its singles better.

YES EVERYTHING

The only album I can think of that I would change the singles would be Ray Of Light.

1. Ray Of Light

2. Nothing Really Matters

3. Frozen

4. Sky Fits Heaven/Drowned World

5. To Have And Not To Hold

To start the album off with Frozen was a mistake. Madonna should have come back from the boring Evita/Something To Remember period with a bang. Ray Of Light would have been so much bigger had it been the first single.

Frozen was a mistake??? You have got to be kidding me. Frozen was a massive, massive hit.

Ray of Light did just fine, she had the eyes of the world on her, it couldn't have sold any more than it did and bear in mind most people had the album by then so it was mainly fans buying that single and a fair amount of the general public too. It was a sizeable hit everywhere.