Ever since ROL,why such a big change in M's voice?

I always interpreted her Miles Away vocals as that of "surrender", "defeat" end of diverce thingy. So maybe for some she sounded bored but for me it conveyed the message of the song well.

This may have been said, but her voice has not been the same since she fell off the horse. Cracked ribs are not good for deep breaths. She changed her technique and has never changed it back. I'm not a vocal expert but it comes from the throat and head now, not from the belly. It was getting better and better before that in my opinion. RIT being a brilliant vocal performance imo.

I always interpreted her Miles Away vocals as that of "surrender", "defeat" end of diverce thingy. So maybe for some she sounded bored but for me it conveyed the message of the song well.

I agree.Her vocals on this song reflect the way she was feeling.She's accepting the fact that the marriage is over.

"All my dreams,they fade away....I'll never be the same"

I agree.Her vocals on this song reflect the way she was feeling.She's accepting the fact that the marriage is over.

"All my dreams,they fade away....I'll never be the same"

This! And that extended outro was perfect fit. I was disappointed with the shortened radio edit as it lessened that feeling.

Guest SecretGarden

Well, in the 80s Madonna was just singing in the way she knew how to without really paying attention to tone, pitch, range etc. The result still sounded great though because she has a singer's voice, a talent for bringing personality to a song.

In the early-mid 90s her voice began to strengthen (i.e. You'll See) and then with the Evita training, her voice became even more powerful and she would sing perfectly in pitch with an expanded range.

The albums that followed showcased this even more, her vocals on Ray of Light and Music are astounding. Even American Life and it's subsequent tour displayed great vocals, albeit a bit higher in pitch than usual.

It was during the Confessions era and tour that her voice started to really thin out, the worst offender, however, was the Hard Candy album and tour. She sounded much more comfortable on MDNA and it's tour, and the performances this year have been pretty good vocally; although the thinness and nasal tone that became prominent back in 2005 has persisted.

There are many reasons as to why her voice could have changed, but to narrow it down, I think it's due to her aging and her apparent lack of vocal training and coaching as opposed to the 90s and early 2000s (pure speculation on my part, but it doesn't seem like she's getting coaching, at least not like she use to).

To be honest I do hear a significant change in Madonna's way of singing. For me her best voice was between ROL and AL, Since the Confessions era her voice started to change and became more nasal, and that became more prominent in Hard Candy and MDNA. I know she's still able to sing very well as she proved it in Miles Away, Falling Free or I'm A Sinner but for some reason she doesn't sing like that as often as she used to.

I'm not saying that Madge sounds bad in the last 2 albums but she could sound better, if you compare the William Orbit tracks in MDNA with the rest of the album you will notiuce that her best vocals are actually better in the Orbit songs (except for Some Girls). Maybe Madge needs a producer that pushes her to do her best vocally.

This may have been said, but her voice has not been the same since she fell off the horse. Cracked ribs are not good for deep breaths. She changed her technique and has never changed it back. I'm not a vocal expert but it comes from the throat and head now, not from the belly. It was getting better and better before that in my opinion. RIT being a brilliant vocal performance imo.

I've never thought that the horse accident could have casued the change but you're right, it was since Confession era that her voice started to change.