Why is every track on American Life cut off at the start?!

Guest Lum

I've noticed this since the album first came out. The first .5 seconds of each song on American Life is at the very end of the previous track. (The start of Hollywood is at the end of American Life, the start of I'm So Stupid is at the end of Hollywood, etc)

Does anyone know WHY this is the way it is?! I've always never known! :huh:

Guest PRPapi

I don't know, either; and have wondered the same thing since the album came out. I think it's just think it was the way the album was mixed - a major oversight, IMO. And, it bugs the hell outta me!

AL fades into Hollywood no? I don't mind that one. It's the index mistake on DAD that pisses me off. I'm sure the others tracks are unaffected (?).

AL fades into Hollywood no? I don't mind that one. It's the index mistake on DAD that pisses me off. I'm sure the others tracks are unaffected (?).

Yeah I don't remember the other tracks suffering from the same issue...

Every track from "Intervention" onward has this problem.. don't know the technical jargon but it's present on every pressing that I know of. I own a couple of CDs from this time that have similar issues. Only solution is to rip/download a lossless (FLAC, ALAC) version of the album and adjust the cue manually, which I did using Audacity - which is free program.

Guest Not4Pussies

yeah i hated that so i just bought the tracks with the fuck ups on itunes.

itunes version dont have the problem

This isn't a mastering error this is done on several albums for a continuous listening experience.

This is not about the fading from AL to Hollywood, which is, as you say, a common thing to do (see Confessions). In DAD for example there is an obvious mistake in mastering, the track doesn't start where it's supposed to...

This is not about the fading from AL to Hollywood, which is, as you say, a common thing to do (see Confessions). In DAD for example there is an obvious mistake in mastering, the track doesn't start where it's supposed to...

Are you guys talking about that pause and the minus countdown on certain player displays? It can either be an error or it can be used to artistic benefit as was the case with Bjork on Volta.

It has nothing to do with the stereo equipment we listen to it on :lol:

Like rafura said, DAD doesn't start where it's suppose to.

You could bring bellenger in here and he'll explain better than any of us. He'd even include images of the audio track.

I think it has something to do with a misplaced thing you put to signal where the track starts (I don't remember the proper term). Defo a mistake and it only happnes on the AL cd. The DAD soundtrack doesn't have it.

This does not happen on my version of American Life and I'm 99% sure I ripped mine from a CD.

DAD starts at the start of the DAD track. Definitely. And no other tracks are affected. My cd was the special box with the poster in it or something. I don't have it anymore..

This does not happen on my version of American Life and I'm 99% sure I ripped mine from a CD.

DAD starts at the start of the DAD track. Definitely. And no other tracks are affected. My cd was the special box with the poster in it or something. I don't have it anymore..

I just check my special box CD and it still does it :huh:

*shrugs* is there different versions of it? I'm in Aus? I dunno how strange! I have definitely never noticed it and gone over each song a few times and can quite clearly see there is nothing wrong.

Regardless, the fact ANY were released like that is shocking and very incompetent

To be fair, I don't think it's something that everyone notices right away. I for one was completely clueless until my ex who was a tech geek pointed that out to me and I haven't stopped hearing it since then...

To be fair, I don't think it's something that everyone notices right away. I for one was completely clueless until my ex who was a tech geek pointed that out to me and I haven't stopped hearing it since then...

Same here.

Guest Not4Pussies

I just check my special box CD and it still does it :huh:

Just get the itunes version. No fuck ups there.

Just checked and I'm not hearing the problem crossing tracks or on the intro. Maybe I have a later pressing of the CD.

Put the cd on shuffle

The worst is "Nothing Fails" and "Intervention." You actually get a bit of "Intervention" at the end of "Nothing Fails :lmao:

It's most noticeable if you listen to the tracks individually, i.e. put on shuffle or something. It's awful. :lmao: