Is Madonna more visual than musical?

Guest seancannon

Guest dicktracy

Music is what she sells. She's a recording artist. Her visuals are how she entices people to purchase her music. Even today, with the so called collapse of the recording industry, she's still selling her music. One pays for a concert ticket to hear her sing/lipsync her songs. In the end it's all about the music.

However, in the far future she may be remembered for her image. Marilyn is remembered for her image and so is Elvis. Unfortunately, not a lot of people can name more than 3 movies by MM or more than a handful of the King's songs. Only time will tell. I think the Beatles are remembered mostly for their songs and that's because they were very innovative and inspired many other artists. So, she has a chance of being more than an image.

Guest seancannon

Sure, but I think one dominates the other more profoundly. I mean, if Madonna disappeared for a year and we had the choice to either hear a new song she made or see a photo spread of her, I think most of us would want to see her! And that's my point exactly :asian:

Guest harbors

Both!

I wouldnt buy her albums if her music sucked.

Likewise, I wouldnt want to pay hundreds of dollars to see her live if she was fat, ugly and boring looking.

Sure, but I think one dominates the other more profoundly. I mean, if Madonna disappeared for a year and we had the choice to either hear a new song she made or see a photo spread of her, I think most of us would want to see her! And that's my point exactly :asian:

Not me. I would take the song any day. But I'm usually in the minority on here.

Guest immaculate sanctuary

i believe it is both all the way. her music will always be important & remembered fer sure. she has stood the tests of time both visually & musically. you can't have one without the other, in my opinion. madonna is both a musical artist & a visual artist.

Guest immaculate sanctuary
Fuck no. I get so excited I could wet myself when a new album happens. But a new photograph isnt always going to peak my excitement and NEVER as much. So consider me EMPHATICALLY part of the less superficial minority that actually loves Madonnas music...and her work. Not just pretty colours and flesh on show.

:thumbsup: agreed! a new madonna album/song is way more exciting than a new pic!

Guest ursaminorjim
...if Madonna disappeared for a year and we had the choice to either hear a new song she made or see a photo spread of her, I think most of us would want to see her!

:blink:

Really?

Jeez, if I had the choice of never seeing her ever again but getting new music more consistently? I'd totally go for that.

Guest seancannon

Well, to answer that, I like the "live" versions of Candy Shop and the album version of Miles Away, but the rest of the album doesn't taste so good. As an artist myself, I'm more intrigued with her ever changing looks. The last album that had me in it's entirity was ROL and four songs from CODF and three from M. I'm always fascinated by her ever changing sound, but once again, as she said so herself during the extra features on the CL DVD, she wants to "be" the art and I find her visual catharsis interesting. That's all.

Guest hot revolver

when people think of material girl they think of madonna as marlyin monroe in that classic pink dress so i'd say visual

Guest seancannon
when people think of material girl they think of madonna as marlyin monroe in that classic pink dress so i'd say visual

:dramatic:

Guest d'kat
you dont have to excuse it, but dont forget those nothings you mentioned NEVER made a vogue, lap, bs, tpog, frozen, etc...

so - EAT IT!!!

LOL!! you're so funny! i think i remember you from madonna power am i correct!

Guest Drowned Bedtime

In the history books, it'll be photos of her in the cone bra or from the 80's. Might mention Vogue, or if it's about her impact, Like A Prayer and such.

Guest seancannon
In the history books, it'll be photos of her in the cone bra or from the 80's. Might mention Vogue, or if it's about her impact, Like A Prayer and such.

What about the ToD intro at Cannes?

i agree with you. there are people and there are fans. what people will remember her is her visual side. most non-fans remember madonna for her sexual side even though she ha snot done anything overtly sexual for over a decade, exluding the Hard Candy photos.

Visual.

It doesn't matter what came first, fact is, it's the image of her that people will remember before her music. That isn't a bad thing either.

Guest seancannon
Don't be so thick. What common person on the street could name Madonnas photographers, let alone the details of the more obscure photos that we fans love? Yet the body of work she has done, the live touring, the music videos and just the general chart prevalence she has had for coming close to thirty years is recognised far more frequently by everyday folk! Just because you paint pictures, maybe thats what YOU recognise. Or what you like to think you do moreso. But it's more related to who you are than who Madonna is.

you're reading too much into another person's opinion- and the right to make one at that :thumbsup:

I agree it's 50:50. Madonna's visuals complements her music and vice-versa. Having said that, her music is strong enough to stand up and be enjoyed on its own - a fact that her critics seem to like to downplay. Pretty images and marketing can only get you so far.

Don't be so thick. What common person on the street could name Madonnas photographers, let alone the details of the more obscure photos that we fans love? Yet the body of work she has done, the live touring, the music videos and just the general chart prevalence she has had for coming close to thirty years is recognised far more frequently by everyday folk! Just because you paint pictures, maybe thats what YOU recognise. Or what you like to think you do moreso. But it's more related to who you are than who Madonna is.

Thank you for contributing by far the smartest posts to this thread.

Both. Visually she is and always will be iconic. Same applies for her music; songs like Like A Prayer, Material Girl and Vogue are as big as the image.

I see artists like Grace Jones, Björk and Marilyn Manson as visual artists because their music is distinctly less than the image.

Guest ursaminorjim
I see artists like Grace Jones (and) Björk...as visual artists because their music is distinctly less than the image.

:yowza:

Guest nothingfails0603

everyone talks about visuals, but I digress. I got into Madonna through my older sister as a kid. It wasn't until Desperately Seeking Susan came on HBO that I actually had seen more than pictures on the albums and a fleeting "look John, it's Madonna" moment on TV yet by that time I was already well-versed on her first two albums at that age. I didn't need to see the videos for Lucky Star or Material Girl to love those songs at the age.

Guest seancannon
everyone talks about visuals, but I digress. I got into Madonna through my older sister as a kid. It wasn't until Desperately Seeking Susan came on HBO that I actually had seen more than pictures on the albums and a fleeting "look John, it's Madonna" moment on TV yet by that time I was already well-versed on her first two albums at that age. I didn't need to see the videos for Lucky Star or Material Girl to love those songs at the age.

But Madonna knew that "image" is what "sells"...

Guest nothingfails0603
But Madonna knew that "image" is what "sells"...

yes, but it proves that while MTV helped, the music was good enough on it's own merit. I knew Material Girl was a great pop song at age five without knowing what the video looked like. Same thing with Thriller, I knew the album inside and out before I saw any of the videos.

Guest seancannon
yes, but it proves that while MTV helped, the music was good enough on it's own merit. I knew Material Girl was a great pop song at age five without knowing what the video looked like. Same thing with Thriller, I knew the album inside and out before I saw any of the videos.

:vanitybonet: