Elderly woman dies after bus crashes into bank in horror accident.

Crux

A bus has crashed into the front of a bank on a busy high street, killing one person and injuring two others.

The elderly female pedestrian died after the vehicle hit a Halifax branch in Durham Police confirmed.

The driver of the bus, a 52-year-old man, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

The North East Ambulance Service had three crews at the scene, including a hazardous area response team, trauma paramedics and a helicopter.

Durham Police said the bus had veered off the road, hitting a pillar near the bank's entrance.

Eyewitnesses described the accident, that happened just before 11:00 BST, as "horrendous".

Shopper Janet Langan said: "The driver's side of the bus was inside the bank. People were being sick and people were crying.: "It's all gone crazy. Someone said a lady was under the bus."

Paul Frazer, who had just got on at a nearby stop, said: "As soon as I sat down the bus jolted forward. It felt like a whoosh, such a fast speed."

He described it as a "scary ordeal" and said passengers were helped off through the emergency exit by a passer-by.

"An investigation has been launched and we are co-operating fully with the emergency services and the police, who are leading the investigation,"

"We know there will be people concerned about family or friends, and to support them we have set up a dedicated emergency telephone number.

Two pedestrians were treated for injuries. The Great North Air Ambulance said medics treated a woman, believed to be in her 50s, for a serious lower leg injury.

Shops near to the crash, between the Northgate and Crown Street junctions, have been closed and police officers are moving bystanders.

A road closure is in place and pedestrian cordon is also in force from Marks and Spencer to the pedestrian zone at the top of Crown Street.

PAY-County-Durham-Bus-Crash.jpg

Halifax-Bus-Crash.jpg

I can't stop thinking about that poor woman.

A friend of mine was on her way to work shortly before this happened and she told me she heard the woman screaming. She works in a store directly opposite the bank, so If she had been 5-10 seconds earlier who knows what might've happened.