US Chart Talk: 10/6/07

thebigham

Guest amit1234

BTW, since you asked, as of now, the only 4th quarter albums on my "to buy" list are:

- Mariah Carey;

- Ashlee Simpson;

- Blake Lewis; and

- Celine Dion (maybe)

"Taking Chances" has wet my appetite for more LDD (La Diva Dion), however, I think it has more to do with the song rather than the artist. I actually prefer Platinum Weird's version much more. That Kara girl could be a star if she really wants it bad enough.

Oh yeah, I think George Michael's Twenty Five is finally seeing a US release. Kind of anticlimatic for the US fans since the set has been available on import all year, but oh well. I got the 2 set DVD last year and love it.

Side note: When I take a look at that list of 4th quarter choices, it kind of scares me to think how big of a queen I really am. :scared:

That Dion track sounds like a snoozer (based on the iTunes sample)- but, if one is a big fan of Dion, it's more of the dame for em and they'll probably like it.

Not sure if I will get Blake's debut- possibly. I heard Jordin Sparks' "Tatoo"- totally made for AC, it sounds like.

No plans to get Ashlee Simpson. :) Mimi? Possibly.

amit, btw, how soes this fit into the chart tawk discussion? ;)

Guest amit1234

Can't believe I don't like it? It's monotonous and goes nowhere. Most of her music isn't great, but at least there are a few that I kinda like and a few others Ican listen to and enjoy for what they are. This really ain't one of them.

The girl has one thing in common with her former mentor, and that's they she's a huge media attraction. Once you get to the work they've done, those comparisons STOP. (nop pun intended to You Drive Me Crazy")

Do you own Britney's Greatest Hits DVD? I borrowed a copy recently and actually enjoyed it a little. Her catalog isn't anything to write home about but it's not excruciatingly bad either. Not any worse than what Debbie Gibson or Tiffany were cranking out back in their day.

If she's able to successfully pull off a comeback, she'll at least be able to do what those gals couldn't manage. As a wise woman once said..."Anything is possible". :doofus:

Guest amit1234

That Dion track sounds like a snoozer (based on the iTunes sample)- but, if one is a big fan of Dion, it's more of the dame for em and they'll probably like it.

Not sure if I will get Blake's debut- possibly. I heard Jordin Sparks' "Tatoo"- totally made for AC, it sounds like.

No plans to get Ashlee Simpson. :) Mimi? Possibly.

amit, btw, how soes this fit into the chart tawk discussion? ;)

The brief iTunes sample doesn't give you a full picture. Take a listen here...it's actually a pretty great track.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000VI5CF4/re...;pf_rd_i=507846

Forgot to mention that I'll be buying Carrie Underwood's sophomore set as well. That Jordan Sparks track you mentioned is a pitiful attempt at recreating Beyonce's "Irreplaceable". Hopefully, radio won't fall for it.

Oh yeah, I guess it doesn't fit into chart tawk per se, but since I'm so cute, I get a free pass.

Biotch. :electropop:

G'night Mary...

Guest nothingfails0603

Do you own Britney's Greatest Hits DVD? I borrowed a copy recently and actually enjoyed it a little. Her catalog isn't anything to write home about but it's not excruciatingly bad either. Not any worse than what Debbie Gibson or Tiffany were cranking out back in their day.

If she's able to successfully pull off a comeback, she'll at least be able to do what those gals couldn't manage. As a wise woman once said..."Anything is possible". :doofus:

well, Britney isn't so bad per se, just that she doesn't really deserve to be among the biggest female sellers either. Her work isn't that much more special than what all the dime a dozen dance divas crank out, the only difference is that she had more money behind her

BTW, since you asked, as of now, the only 4th quarter albums on my "to buy" list are:

- Mariah Carey;

- Ashlee Simpson;

- Blake Lewis; and

- Celine Dion (maybe)

OMFG, you are not at all ashamed to admit this on a public forum? :manson::nocomment:

I bet even the people at the retailers where you buy your music laugh at you.

I did get Spears' GH DVD and actually watched some of it last week. Again, like the music, the videos aren't all that great (a couple are notable), but a lot of them are basically just her lookin' pretty- no meat, no bones. And, her last studio album scanned almost 3 million- so, not sure why people go on about a "comeback." She needs to reach an even lower albums total with a studio set and then top that to really "come back."

On this week's Catalog chart, Counting Crows' August and Everything After pops outta nowhere to rank 19*. 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin' plunges 5-48.

well, Britney isn't so bad per se, just that she doesn't really deserve to be among the biggest female sellers either. Her work isn't that much more special than what all the dime a dozen dance divas crank out, the only difference is that she had more money behind her

:manson:

Just for amusement purposes, tell me, WHO deserves to be among the biggest female sellers? :lmao: Beyoncé? :rolleyes:

Guest amit1234

OMFG, you are not at all ashamed to admit this on a public forum? :manson::nocomment:

I bet even the people at the retailers where you buy your music laugh at you.

How did you know?

:scared:

Guest amit1234

I did get Spears' GH DVD and actually watched some of it last week. Again, like the music, the videos aren't all that great (a couple are notable), but a lot of them are basically just her lookin' pretty- no meat, no bones. And, her last studio album scanned almost 3 million- so, not sure why people go on about a "comeback." She needs to reach an even lower albums total with a studio set and then top that to really "come back."

On this week's Catalog chart, Counting Crows' August and Everything After pops outta nowhere to rank 19*. 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin' plunges 5-48.

Cool. Thanks. Do you also have the chart stats for these catalog titles?

Mariah - TEOM

Kelly C - Breakaway

MJ - Thriller, Number Ones

Oh yeah, I bought the Jackson 5 Gold (2 CD) earlier this month. Not as nicely packaged as The Supremes 2 CD Gold set but since the remastered sound quality is great. A nice upgrade from the clunky Anthology set I bought in the mid 90's.

HITS:

YOUR WEEKEND TOP 10 PREVIEW: On Wednesday we said that as many as six albums could hit six figures on next week’s chart, and as we head into the weekend, that wild guess is looking like a sure thing. The four biggest sellers will likely be debuts, with Rascal Flatts (Lyric Street) a sure #1 at 540-550, followed by Keyshia Cole (Geffen) at 290-300k, Foo Fighters (RCA) at 175-185k and Jill Scott (Hidden Beach) at 135-145k.

Scott and current chart-topper Reba McEntire (MCA Nashville) will fight it out for #4. The second five appear to be Kanye West (Roc-A-Fella/IDJ) with 130-140k, debuting Jagged Edge (Island/IDJ) with 75-80k, Kenny Chesney (SBMG Nashville) with 75-80k, 50 Cent (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) with 70-75k and High School Musical 2 (Disney) with 70-75k. (9/28a)

Guest nothingfails0603

wow, Kanye and 50 aren't having much staying power, are they? #6 and #9 in a third week is pretty bad considering Kanye and 50's last albums

Guest nothingfails0603

Four albums will debut above their albums.

Longevity is the key.

true, but 50's last two albums spent over a month at #1, as opposed to falling down to #9 in week three. I figured both albums would at least last a month in the top 5.

Take a chill pill- do you ever post anything non-Messney-related here? No kidding it will zoom up the chart next week. Jeesh. I know you have to try hard to be enthusiastic about "Gimme a Migraine," since it's rather just *there* (shocker), but come now.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Given GM's low airplay I still think it will struggle to hit the Top 10 of the Hot 100 next week. It didn't hit #1 on iTunes until Thursday anyway.

Guest amit1234

Just checked Mediabase and airplay for "Gimme More"' has steadily increased over the past four weeks:

Considering the song is already #1 on iTunes and the video hasn't even been released yet, I think it's safe to say the song is a hit and will only get bigger as the album release date approaches.

Just checked Mediabase and airplay for "Gimme More"' has steadily increased over the past four weeks:

Considering the song is already #1 on iTunes and the video hasn't even been released yet, I think it's safe to say the song is a hit and will only get bigger as the album release date approaches.

Yes. But don't tell that to the deluded haters :gross:

Take a chill pill- do you ever post anything non-Messney-related here? No kidding it will zoom up the chart next week. Jeesh. I know you have to try hard to be enthusiastic about "Gimme a Migraine," since it's rather just *there* (shocker), but come now.

I don't know who's more of a broken record, you or Xtian.

But at least you provide something valuable to all of us. :thumbsup:

And I dunno who has the best track record of gettin' on my nerves the most on the forum, but you're certainly up there, gt dahlin'. :gent: And thanks. :)

That track's audience is up around 2.4m from a week ago, so airplay's not going to dictate its ranking. The sales total should be big enough to shoot it to the top 10. What hapens in week 2 and beyond- may not be as pretty. Spears' airplay track record is not good- herm usic doesn't appeal to more than 1 or 2 formats- and pop is the format that's giving this track the vast majority of its airplay. THis is why her music doesn't get much in the way of recurrent play, either.

Guest nothingfails0603

I think downloads should play a much larger role than airplay. I don't know who the fuck Souljah Boy is, and neither does anyone else here. Yet you see people discussing Gimme More all the time. Britney is infinately more popular even at her lowest point than Souljah Boy, she deserves a higher chart placing because people obviously like her song better if if payola is on Soujah's side.

There's no flat-out payola (well if there is, it's muy illegal), but possible "incentives." And that would be open to anyone. Unfortunately, we know a lot of the teen-age/youth community loves that rap shit (the generic shit that's not any good, it's possible a rap track could be decent).

Soulja's track is very hot not only at top 40, but rhythmic and urban. A track just getting decent play at 1 format can't compete in airplay, unless that airplay is HUGE at the 1 format, and it does very well at another (like Fergie's Big Girls...)- but, that's just the way it is.

Are people discussing the track (not like it's a fantastic piece of music- yep, more broken record baby!) or Spears' hot mess of a life? Anyways, the trackThey probably go hand in hand now, anyways.

LMFAO!!! HG you are just, just... :manson:

Anyway, experts expect a straight jump to top ten for Gimme A Migraine :horn:

I said it probably would leap into the top 10. Pay attention, mofo. :D

Airplay up around 1.8m compared to where it was a week ago. Will probably top out with a HU-like peak.

I apologize to the Spears luvahs in the community- but I just have trouble comprehending the passion- dat's all. :)

I said it probably would leap into the top 10. Pay attention, mofo. :D

I know you know it doll, but you don't want it :D And you discredit Britney with your airplay blah blah, we know Britney is the biggest airplay flop ever :dramatic: But the sales make it up for her :p