Looking Back

Shane

I don't want to sound sappy, but every time there is a new Madonna album on the horizon, I use the time leading up to it to reflect. I play her entire back catalog a lot, and everything sounds so fresh and vibrant. Very little has dated.

I also look over my magazine collection and Madonna books, reassess my rankings of her work, and stroll down memory lane to recall how she shaped my life. I tend to get some thoughts out in my blog as well.

Reading some old interviews, I am struck by some of the ways she is different from other pop singers: almost always reading at least one book, and always able to answer the question "what are you reading?"; quite humble about her own achievements; not that narcissistic at all and often asks the interviewer questions about his/her life; a devoted humanitarian who walks the walk and tries to put the focus on the issue she is supporting, NOT on herself.

I know that we all know this, but it bears repeating: there is no one like her, and there won't be again. Her legacy and music will last, which is the best thing anyone can hope for from their time on earth, especially an artist. But wow, how lucky we are to be living in the time of Madonna.

She's nothing short of magical, you guys. She lasted, she never self destructed, she has more good songs than anyone ever. I truly believe that we will be enjoying new music from Madonna for another twenty years, and that some of the best is yet to come.

To paraphrase a review of True Blue back in 1986 (!): "She seems, more than ever, unstoppable."

I'm like you, I like to indulge in an artists back catalogue when a new album is on the way, especially the previous because I realise that era is officially done and dusted, in the past, no longer the latest addition to the discography, and it makes me kind of sad because of the great times I had listening to it and seeing the tour, but also excited for a whole new era.

P.S. You're also right that her music is timeless, I finally got into BS album last summer, great album!

I do exactly the same thing. This in one of the reasons why "new album time" is so much fun. I make up my own album artwork, I work on my 'Madonna iTunes and iPod' (yes, I have one iPod devoted just to Madonna). I work on my photos, but mostly just listen to her music. I've said it a million times, but it's such a wonderful time.

Me too I try to refrain myself to listening to the leaks of Rebel Heart by listening to the six tracks that were oficially released alongside the rest of her discography. Goes without saying that it keeps me busy, lol.

I have an ipod devoted to Madonna. lots of remixes on it

Glad I'm not the only one. I devote an iPod Touch for her. It's got all her music, including remixes (on lossless), videos, photo library, website favorites, etc. It's a labour of love. Updating it to add a new album is never taken for granted.

I think I may have to add some photos to my device collection. my is an iPhone 4s. I just use it for my Madonna music while im at the gym.

I cherish it more than I do my new iPhone